User Tag List

Page 52 of 175 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Players Views

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Coming in from a diagonal wide angle restricts your options. In most cases, you will have to hit it across the keeper and when your right footed you can't bend it around the keeper. Look at Theo's first shot on goal which narrowly missed. Struck well, plenty of power, beats the keeper but it bends just wide. How many times have we seen that happen with Theo? If he's coming in from the left, that shot would tuck in much like Henry's first goal for us this season. Coming in on your good foot at that angle makes a world of difference to a strikers confidence.

Take Ade for example. Terrible first touch, poor left foot, pretty average at finishing, missed a lot of sitters but had some pace, power and when coming in from the right, he'd just bend it around the keeper and hit it low. He was predictable with his finishing. Would never attempt a chip or go near post, just low and bend it around the keeper and that's what he was talking about when he said he discovered the art to finishing. Henry told him to aim for the far post and he does it all the time and the angle usually works in his favour. Knowing that gave him super confidence. If Wenger had tried to get him to always finish on his weaker foot his confidence in front of goal would have been shot to pieces. It's the same for any player coming in on their weaker foot. We've seen Wilshere pass up the chance to shoot with his right and RVP used to do it all the time. If Theo played on the left side, I think his strike rate would improve by far. He'd probably go for more long range belters as well. It makes a difference. Just watch how other players react when on their weaker foot.

We shouldn't change the formation for Theo, but we don't suit this formation, or at least, we're playing players that don't. Ramsey shouldn't be at the hub of our attack. I like what Alan Davis said on the Tuesday club last week and he summed it up perfectly. We should play Rosicky there or forget it.

People keep saying being played out of position doesn't make a difference but play Rosicky on the wings and see how ineffective he'd be. There are numerous examples of this and Rosicky is a versatile midfielder. Theo is a limited striker. That's not always a bad thing. We need that direct approach sometimes. He's terrible on the flanks. Not saying he's be world class there, but could he be any worse than Chamakh or Park? Adebayor was shocking at finishing , had the touch of a rapist and zero intelligence when it came to timing of runs but he was able to score 30 goals for us in one season. I think Theo has a lot more going for him compared to the other strikers I mentioned and I agree with Wright on this one.
    I agree with that Theo on the left thing. Think it would suit him better....but depends on whether Arsene is asking him to get beyond the fullback, in true Arsenal cutback stylee....in which case he'd be more fucked than he currently is trying to beat a defender.

I think him hanging on the shoulder of the fullback, on his inside is where he's dangerous, as Maccy said. But that also relies heavily on us bing in front in a game, so that the opposition are pushed further forward.

I just think he's a Wrighty type of player, I guess. Instinct player, but he doesn't possess the thing Wright did, which was this niggly, cheeky, spiteful, predatory and angry personality. Theo's too nice most of the time.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be crazy to suggest that team as a whole would probably benefit from him playing in a deeper role? I think Dennis was looking at the team as whole.
    not crazy but not a lot of sense either. rvp is displaying the talent that everyone believed he had - the type that you build a team around his strengths.

it would be crazy be to suggest that a successful team couldn't be built around what we see now.

i don't want to keep moving away from the theo discussion. the point was that even the best might not always have the best ideas, like wright. i easily concede that these guys know more about actually performing the role on the pitch, but not every student becomes a great teacher.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming in from a diagonal wide angle restricts your options. In most cases, you will have to hit it across the keeper and when your right footed you can't bend it around the keeper. Look at Theo's first shot on goal which narrowly missed. Struck well, plenty of power, beats the keeper but it bends just wide. How many times have we seen that happen with Theo? If he's coming in from the left, that shot would tuck in much like Henry's first goal for us this season. Coming in on your good foot at that angle makes a world of difference to a strikers confidence.

Take Ade for example. Terrible first touch, poor left foot, pretty average at finishing, missed a lot of sitters but had some pace, power and when coming in from the right, he'd just bend it around the keeper and hit it low. He was predictable with his finishing. Would never attempt a chip or go near post, just low and bend it around the keeper and that's what he was talking about when he said he discovered the art to finishing. Henry told him to aim for the far post and he does it all the time and the angle usually works in his favour. Knowing that gave him super confidence. If Wenger had tried to get him to always finish on his weaker foot his confidence in front of goal would have been shot to pieces. It's the same for any player coming in on their weaker foot. We've seen Wilshere pass up the chance to shoot with his right and RVP used to do it all the time. If Theo played on the left side, I think his strike rate would improve by far. He'd probably go for more long range belters as well. It makes a difference. Just watch how other players react when on their weaker foot.

We shouldn't change the formation for Theo, but we don't suit this formation, or at least, we're playing players that don't. Ramsey shouldn't be at the hub of our attack. I like what Alan Davis said on the Tuesday club last week and he summed it up perfectly. We should play Rosicky there or forget it.

People keep saying being played out of position doesn't make a difference but play Rosicky on the wings and see how ineffective he'd be. There are numerous examples of this and Rosicky is a versatile midfielder. Theo is a limited striker. That's not always a bad thing. We need that direct approach sometimes. He's terrible on the flanks. Not saying he's be world class there, but could he be any worse than Chamakh or Park? Adebayor was shocking at finishing , had the touch of a rapist and zero intelligence when it came to timing of runs but he was able to score 30 goals for us in one season. I think Theo has a lot more going for him compared to the other strikers I mentioned and I agree with Wright on this one.
    The difference is, when Theo has scored, it's usually running in from the angle I mention. Also most don't have Theo's pace nor acceleration, I sometimes think even Theo forgets it. The very fact he has that asset means that sure his options might not be plentiful but the one option he has is on more often than not because there isn't as much time for the goalkeeper to get set, to cover the angle. You mention the one he missed but his second goal against Tottenham was very similar to that one missed. However if you maintain it would be better on the left, well then he'd be in the mirrored position and without being 'played up front' (and to be fair in your defence I am particularly thinking of the goal against Shakthar when he has come in on that angle on the left), though that just goes to prove our front three have license to go elsewhere!

And I said he's worth trying as the next option 'up front' but not when RVP is already there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The high profile move to us and the World Cup debacle killed his rep.
    I think that's what created his rep.
    What has slowly killed it is years of slow progress or sometimes regression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't benefit from GHEL protection. He can have a half decent game and won't get any recognition for it because no one seems to rate him outside Arsenal.

Serves him right anyway, he should have spent his teens spitting at cab drivers and rolling out of nightclubs at 4am. That's where you earn your stripes in this sport if you're English.

The little posh boy fanny, now he's doomed himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet he uses hankies like all the cool kids do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I bet he uses hankies like all the cool kids do
    I bet he even has a spare fleece.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway!

I don't care what other people think of him. What I care about is whether he delivers for Arsenal. Sometimes he does, just not often enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    I bet he even has a spare fleece.
    I bet it's a North Face fleece as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I bet it's a North Face fleece as well.
    Letters

Other mountain climbers