Page 1 of 175 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Players Views

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former Players Views

Thierry Henry has urged Arsenal supporters to keep the faith in the club's long-standing manager Arsene Wenger despite another disappointing end to the season in which the team failed to win any silverware.

The 33-year-old New York Red Bulls striker, who spent eight years at Arsenal helping them win two Premier League titles and three FA Cups, said that even though the team's sixth consecutive trophyless season had left him 'suffering', he feels his former manager is the man to lead the team back to glory.

In an exclusive interview with Goal.com, Henry said: "When you play for Arsenal there is always criticism. But I feel like any other fan. I’m like the rest of the team right now, I’m suffering.

"But we have to help and believe in that team. They had the potential to win this season, they've always been so close to winning but sometimes fall short. I think the team can do it and I hope that the boss [Wenger] stays because he is a very important person right there for that organisation."

Henry, who left Arsenal for Barcelona in 2007 said his heart still belonged to the north London club and is looking forward to playing against his former team in July's Emirates Cup friendly.

"It will be a good feeling. To see Arsenal’s people again, the employees who work there, the players, the fans, the boss.

THIERRY HENRY
    CLUB CAREER STATISTICSCLUB

MONACO
    JUVENTUS
    ARSENAL
    BARCELONA
    NY RED BULLS

TOTAL
    APPEARANCES

GOALS

INTERNATIONAL STATISTICS

FRANCE
    APPEARANCES

GOALS

"Arsenal is who my heart belongs to, so it will be an incredible moment, I hope. I played seven years at Highbury Stadium, so I can’t say that I even played a full year at the Emirates Stadium because I was injured a lot during my last year at Arsenal. So I think I played like 15 games at the Emirates, and with the stadium itself I don't have too much connection.

"But with the people... it's different, I love the people, the fans, the people who work there from the chef to the guy who takes care of the field."

Despite his nostalgia for Arsenal, Henry, who won both the World Cup and European Championship with France, says he is enjoying life in the MLS, where his New York Red Bulls side currently top the Eastern Conference.

"What I always say is that here [in MLS] we have a lot of good teams. The other day people thought that we were about to win easily the match against Chivas and we lost at home.

"In this league you never know, we have to work every Sunday or Saturday or whatever day the game is, we have to try to win. But teams -- here there are a lot of good clubs, good players. Teams in general are trying to play well. What I say is that it's too difficult to compare leagues. You can’t compare MLS with La Liga or Premier, but here the soccer level is good in general."

The Frenchman also says he has no plans to return to Europe and intends to end his playing career in the US.

"I’m happy here. I did what I had to do in Europe. I had the opportunity to win everything I played for in Europe, so I’m here in the USA, on an incredible team which is doing good things, trying to win its first title. So I’m happy to be here with them and if we can we are going to do that."

When asked whether he was considering a move into coaching, Henry responded: "To be honest, I don’t know yet. I have four years left and I’m going to try to finish them. I hope to win some titles. But after that I don’t know. Being close to soccer of course [that's my intention] because that is my passion, but even knowing that, I don’t know yet in what role."

Arsenal had the potential to win this season. I hope that the boss [Wenger] stays because he is a very important person right there for that organisation

Looking back on his glittering career, Henry said there was no one moment or memory he cherished above others and was simply enjoying playing regular football.

"At my age… people used to asked me a lot about the World Cup title and all that. But with the years passing by, I mean... how can I say this? I could play then and I can play now. You know, to me going out to the field and playing is always the best moment.

"You know why? Because when you know you are at a more advanced age you want to enjoy that that much more. And in my career, I've had a lot of good moments and bad moments. Oh, the bad moments! Still, the best moment is always when you go out to the field and can perform."

Henry also said he enjoys the relative anonymity that playing in the US gives him, but insists he still feels the pressure to perform to a high standard.

"Well, the pressure I always say is there. It's necessary to have pressure because the sport is like that. Sometimes I create the pressure myself. So in that aspect there is no problem.

"Now, on the other hand, it is true that off the field we're more at peace because people don’t recognise us that much and we can walk, go out to the movies or eat quietly and that to be honest helps me a lot in order to live a better life."
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...l-collapse-but

Was only a matter of time before he spouted some BS about supporting Wenger.

Also the quoting system on this forum is messed up

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAUL MERSON reckons Arsenal should make Scott Parker their No1 transfer target this summer.

Gunners legend Merson is adamant his old club need to bring in players who are already established in the Premier League.
    And they do not come any better than Parker, who was the Football Writers' player of the season.
    The tough-tackling midfielder is on England duty and mulling over his future after West Ham's relegation.
    Merson said: "He was the best midfield player in the country last season. Arsenal need to buy players who are going to perform now, not in two or three years because really they haven't got two or three years to spare.
    "He might be 30 but you know in the next two years he's going to bring a trophy to Arsenal because of his energy. He'd also help bring along Jack Wilshire too.

"That's the kind of player who I'd be looking at. He would come in and hit the ground running and it won't be, 'Oh well, next year he'll be better'. Arsenal don't have next year."

Merson would, however, stick with young keeper Wojciech Szczesny rather than bringing in a new No1.
    He added: "The goalkeeper's made mistakes at vital times.
    "He's a young goalie but if they bring in a new keeper he [Szczesny] may not play again for three or four years, so I think they'll stay with him and in two or three years he'll be top drawer. "
    The other area in urgent need of rebuilding is the defence and Merson believes the answers could be close to home.
    He said: "Again I would go with somebody who has played in the Premier League this year, like a Christopher Samba, a Gary Cahill, a Roger Johnson or a Scott Dann.
    "People who are going to come in and settle straight away, not take six or seven or eight months and be thinking they don't play like this in Holland or Italy or Germany.
    "This is the hardest league in the world."
    Merson also expects Cesc Fabregas to leave the Emirates but wishes the Gunners captain was better advised.
    He said: "I'd be surprised if he was at Arsenal next season.
    "I can understand why he wants to go but at the same time you'd like his agent or people round him to sit down and say, 'You're a young lad, you want to be playing football'.
    "There's nothing worse than training Monday to Friday then sitting on the bench on Saturday.
    "It's all about playing Saturday afternoon or Sunday. I don't think another year at Arsenal would hurt him."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1O4IN34G0
    Agree with all of that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Agree with all of that
    Even this ?:
    He was the best midfield player in the country last season.
    And this ?:
    He might be 30 but you know in the next two years he's going to bring a trophy to Arsenal because of his energy.
    Is energy™ the new passion™?

Merson should stick to gambling. And drinking. And mispronouncing words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mersons an idiot, I think I respect Wrights opinion more and thats not saying much.

However...Arsene needs to make decent signings this summer or else the fans will pretty much give up. Me included, just renewed silver membership, never again whilst Arsenes in charge if he returns with an "Nop, all dead" in the transfer window this summer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best midfielder? Id say he was.

The other bit is just a matter of opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He probably wasn't even the best midfielder if you go by his specialty, running around. Or energetic running, I should say.

He went missing for most of their run-in.

But he did run around a bit, tbf.

And he was better than the great Garry Barry for England.
    Last edited by Master Splinter; 01-06-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parker is better than what we have and that ultimately is whats important.

Are there better players available? Probably.

Are they available? Doubt it

Parker is and is a must get tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merse spot on. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out really, hence even Merson gets it. Apart from the GK bit, if we can't afford to carry a midfielder while he gets up to speed then we certainly can't afford to carry a GK. He's most accurate when he states Arsenal don't have another year of this collapsing bullshit to spare. It's not compulsory to win a trophy next year but it is compulsory to at worst miss out on everything we compete for by a hair's breadth, not the country mile we have become used to. If that happens again there will be a mass exodus both on the pitch and off it and we'll fall off down the table. Performances like the close of this season can't be papered over indefinitely, eventually failure of such magnitude is going to do serious structural damage. That;s why we need proper players in to shore things up, any more mincing pansies through the door and we've had it.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William Gallas reckons Arsene Wenger's search for defensive reinforcements is proof the Arsenal boss was wrong to let him go.

The former Gunners skipper has also maintained their title collapse this season means he was right to question the commitment of his young team-mates when he was there.

Gallas, 33, showed he is still a defensive force to be reckoned with a fine season after moving down the road to Tottenham on a Bosman following failed talks over a new deal at the Emirates.

By contrast, Arsenal fans are still demanding Wenger bring in a top-class centre-half after a season that saw the club tumble out of title contention to finish only fourth.

Gallas confirmed yesterday: "I left Arsenal because we could not agree on a financial level.

"They decided to not make the effort to keep me. It is a choice I respect, and they respected the fact I didn't want the wages they proposed.

"Did Wenger make a mistake in not keeping me? He made a choice, but indeed I believe he made a mistake.

"In the street, Arsenal fans asked me why I left. The coach thought I was a finished player. I proved he was wrong."

Gallas was stripped of the Arsenal captaincy two years ago after an outspoken attack on his team-mates in which he revealed secrets of the dressing room and condemned the club's young players for not being brave enough.

This past season saw the Gunners fall apart in spectacular fashion after being surprisingly neaten by Birmingham in February's Carling Cup final.

Midfielder Denilson, who is set to leave Arsenal this summer, has claimed the side lost its bottle after that incredible Wembley giant-killing.

Gallas added yesterday: "When I was captain I wanted to give a message, but they didn't get it. I may have been clumsy, but the substance was right.

"I came from Chelsea, where I won titles, and I wanted to share my experience, because I thought we missed commitment in our work.

"My message has not been understood and I am also responsible for that. Unfortunately the last season showed that team still misses something.

"It is too easy to say all the Arsenal problems came from William Gallas."

Another of the reasons that Gallas was axed at Arsenal was the breakdown in his relationship with midfielder Samir Nasri in particular.

In a twist of irony, Nasri is currently holding the club to ransom by demanding a new deal of around £110,000-a-week, with Manchester United circling.

Gallas went on: "Samir Nasri? People tried to show me as an ugly duckling, but the images showed the contrary.

"Samir Nasri knows the problem. He can't lie to himself."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...#ixzz1OaSUtdUC
    Basically calling the players a bunch of uncommitted pussies. Can't argue with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    He probably wasn't even the best midfielder if you go by his specialty, running around. Or energetic running, I should say.

He went missing for most of their run-in.
    A bit harsh, he was out injured wasn't he?