User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Houllier Steps Down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aston Villa are finalising their shortlist of candidates to replace Gerard Houllier - with former England boss Steve McClaren among their targets, Press Association Sport understands.
    The midlands club are believed to have sounded out several contenders to see if they are available and interested in the post - including McClaren, who is known to be keen to return to the Barclays Premier League.
    Villa owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner will draw up the final shortlist before looking to start conducting interviews on a formal basis, probably at the end of this week.
    Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is also understood to have impressed Lerner after helping the Latics avoid relegation and he has still to sign a new three-year contract.

Lerner would ideally like to have Houllier's successor in place by mid-June.
    That would give him time to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad and potential transfer targets before Villa report back for pre-season training on July 7.
    McClaren has been much derided for his 17 months spell in charge of England after the 2006 World Cup.
    But he has a successful record at club level, winning the League Cup and reaching the UEFA Cup final with Middlesbrough.
    After his unhappy England spell, McClaren returned to management with FC Twente and guided the Enschede outfit to the Dutch title although he then had an unhappy time with German club Wolfsburg and was sacked.
    Two other candidates, Carlo Ancelotti and Martin Jol, have now slipped out of the picture for differing reasons.
    Former Chelsea manager Ancelotti is taking a year's break from coaching while Jol was today appointed Fulham boss in succession to Mark Hughes - the early bookmakers' favourite for the Villa post.
    In the long term, former Villa defender Martin Laursen has indicated he would like the chance to manage the club.
    Laursen, forced to retire with a knee problem two years ago, will take his coaching badges later this year.
    He said: "It would be great to be Villa manager one day. That would be a big dream. But that's a long way off."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...#ixzz1ObM5Lc4u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jol to Fulham

poor bastards.......soon to become as shit as the Spuds were when he was in charge

shame, don't mind Fulham.........Hughes has a case of Rednapp Judas syndrome me thinks
    Last edited by Japan Shaking All Over; 07-06-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spurs were hardly shit when he was in charge. In fact he was the one that started their recent upturn in fortune. They'd probably still be bottom half fodder if it wasn't for his time at the club.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 07-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGog Is Going View Post

Rafa to Villa
    Please don't do it. The odds on him replacing Houllier were pretty good when Hughes resigned. Knew I should have put a bet on...

More worryingly for Villa though; Hodgson could be next!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGog Is Going View Post
    Please don't do it. The odds on him replacing Houllier were pretty good when Hughes resigned. Knew I should have put a bet on...

More worryingly for Villa though; Hodgson could be next!
    Kenny in 2014 then....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martinez in talks now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can see Martinez going there.

Couple of reasons.

1 - Wigan are shit and they were lucky to stay up this season and imo are one of the favourites to go down next season

2 - And probably most importantly, he wants to get away from that prick Dave Whelan

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hanks The phrase "football field" saves him from any opprobrium as far as I'm concerned.

Whelan still seems to think that Martinez is going to stay - but then he would wouldn't he? I like the brand of football Martinez tries to play, as long as I turn a blind eye to the fact that anything takes place in his side's own half is always brown-trousers time....

As I've said far too often over the last week , "we'll have to wait and see"

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martinez says no to Villa.

So what now Rors? What happened to Rafa, I thought he was being lined up