User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Match Reaction vs The 'Ammers (away).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoeLDG View Post
    A WUM-WUM situation

Was quite pleased with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you two arguing over? (Zim/Letters)

Both of you are in agreement regarding our title chances so what's the beef?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ollie and the ivy View Post
    so basically from that statement we can conclude that the team who will win the league will be sunderland or manchester city because clearly if you can't beat with everton you won't win the league.

have you lot actually watched any football this season? everton are not a bad side, when we played them they were one of the form sides in the league who were very hard to beat. we are not going to win every game this season yet some are acting as if everton are the worse side to be in this league and anything less then a 10 nil thrashing is a sackable offence
    No Ollie. Its not about whether Everton are a good side or not, but like it or not you have to beat the teams competing with you if you want to win the title. If Everton was a one off and we'd beaten the other top teams I could sympathise with you. But with one single exception, we have failed so far this season every time we've played our 'competitors'.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    No Ollie. Its not about whether Everton are a good side or not, but like it or not you have to beat the teams competing with you if you want to win the title. If Everton was a one off and we'd beaten the other top teams I could sympathise with you. But with one single exception, we have failed so far this season every time we've played our 'competitors'.
    Or if you look at it another way, we've only been beaten by one of the top 5.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    What are you two arguing over? (Zim/Letters)

Both of you are in agreement regarding our title chances so what's the beef?
    My beef with Zimm is his overly negative attitude, he goes out of his way to criticize the club and manager at any opportunity. I find it strange behavior from a so-called Arsenal fan.

He didn't expect us to win the league this season - pretty much no-one did - but will use our failure to do so to have a dig rather than being pleased about the progress we're making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milla View Post
    FFS
    Do you feel better now after expressing yourself so coherently and without your cup of tea smiley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Why didn't people think we were serious contenders? Well because of Wenger basically (due to lack of signings etc), we should be given the size of this club.
    Are you old enough to remember Arsenal before Wenger? We were NEVER consistently title contenders. Not since the 30s and our successes then. We'd not won the title with any regularity after that (48, 53, 71, 89, 91 if you're interested, and after '91 we became boring boring Arsenal and were very mid-table most seasons). If you think we should be contenders now then that is because of Wenger and the level he raised us to. We wouldn't be a club of this size were it not for Wenger, we were a big club before he came along of course but not as big as we are now. We wouldn't be in the new stadium without the initial success and style of football he brought and in the long term moving stadium was the only way we could hope to compete.

I agree with you that City and Chelsea are more likely champions. They bloody well should be with the money they've spent.

we've waited a long time for him to build a team good enough to win stuff and thus the cop out excuse of we didn't expect this or that doesn't wash with me
    Of course not. Being rational and realistic don't fit with your anti-Arsenal and anti-Wenger agenda.

Pretty much all of us have been frustrated by the past few years in particular. Before that most of us accepted that in the era of billionaires and Arsenal moving stadium, which restricted our finances, we were going to struggle to compete. You throw around the word 'excuse' because it usually is taken to mean something made up to justify an omission but it's not an excuse to say that it is harder to compete in an era where billionaires can throw enough money around till they blunder their way to the top. Since we last won the title only 3 clubs have - all 3 clubs have more money than us and one has had a manager who many regard as the best of all time. In an era where money and success are highly correlated and however much money we earn through TV/merchandise/ticket sales it'll never be as much as the billionaire-fueled clubs it's not an 'excuse' or 'cop out' to say it's hard to for any other club to compete.

IMO Wenger has done well to keep us in the top four but poorly to not win any trophies for so long. He has clearly been restricted in the transfer market to an extent but could have done more and there's no defending the decision to sell RvP to a club who we're supposed to be competing with. End of the day we can rake over old ground all day. You can keep comparing us to the best sides under Wenger if you like but that's invalid now. The only valid basis for comparison is last season. It's not a 'cop out' or 'excuse' to say no-one was seriously expecting us to win the title this year. Were you? After the summer - and particularly after the Villa game - the question was not could we win the title but could we get anywhere near the top 4. It is high time we delivered but after years of underperforming it's completely ridiculous to expect us to improve enough in one season to the point where not winning the title against the billionaires is seen as a failure.

I agree the improvement can only be properly judged at the end of the season but so far I'm enjoying the football and am content with the results. I think elsewhere you said it's been a 'decent' half season. We got through a difficult CL group and the worst we can be after today is 2 points off the top of the table. I think most Arsenal fans would have taken that at the start of the season. If you think we should be doing better then I'd suggest your expectations are unrealistic.

Right now it looks like we're heading in the right direction for the first time in years. The Ozil signing showed a new intent, the improvement has been obvious. If we add the quality we need up front and continue to improve then I'll be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters To Santa View Post
    Pretty much no-one
    My beef with Zimm is his overly negative attitude, he goes out of his way to criticize the club and manager at any opportunity. I find it strange behavior from a so-called Arsenal fan.

He didn't expect us to win the league this season - pretty much no-one did - but will use our failure to do so to have a dig rather than being pleased about the progress we're making.
    The 'so called Arsenal fan' taunts are below the belt. You just have different perspectives. That should be obvious by now. Heck, we had a long discussion a couple of weeks ago about our title chances last week and took while to convince you that we're in with a shot.

If we repeat the same mistakes as the past, this won't be progress. Compare this to last season and it's an improvement but overall there is still a fair way to go before we're all convinced. The recent wobble suggests we're still not there and now the talk of our schedule is annoying because we should be prepared for it. We know we have another run of terrible games coming up and if we don't do something in the Jan transfer window, you really have to wonder what Wenger is playing at.

Certain decisions over the course of the season have cost us points, trophies, they've broke player moral and players then end up leaving. It sounds very doom and gloom to say that whilst we're top of the table but it's true. I'm hoping we don't repeat the same mistakes as the 2008 season. Wenger already knows the consequences of playing players into the red so there isn't an excuse.