User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Chav" an offensive term?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissHandbag View Post
    Good point about the MP expenses but doesn't negate the fact there are a lot of 'Chav's sponging - I should know, I live on Chav street.

Recently whilst sitting on my patio (on a day off, not just chavving about) I over heard my next door neigbour bemoaning to another spongy neigbour how he had lost his job. Then listened to chavvy explain exactly how to claim benefits instead of working...then listened to his sister join in with tips. Their Mum is on benefits for supposedly being agaraphobic yet is the chair person of our housing co-op and travels at least once a year to a 2 day conference.

PS - yes I did poke my head over the garden fence and remind them how I'm paying to keep them in benefits - they didn't like it much.
    Maybe they just think your a nosey bastard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point about the MP expenses but doesn't negate the fact there are a lot of 'Chav's sponging - I should know, I live on Chav street.

Recently whilst sitting on my patio (on a day off, not just chavving about) I over heard my next door neigbour bemoaning to another spongy neigbour how he had lost his job. Then listened to chavvy explain exactly how to claim benefits instead of working...then listened to his sister join in with tips. Their Mum is on benefits for supposedly being agaraphobic yet is the chair person of our housing co-op and travels at least once a year to a 2 day conference.

PS - yes I did poke my head over the garden fence and remind them how I'm paying to keep them in benefits - they didn't like it much.
    Ha! So the label of chavs is well deserved! As I said people have choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Maybe they just think your a nosey bastard...
    Might sound chavvy but 'bovvered!'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might sound chavvy but 'bovvered!'
    Nah probably not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's that book published recently by Owen Jones called "Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class".

I can see where the argument will lead, but I agree with Chrissie. When I call people "scum" or "chavtastic wankscum" or "chav", I refer to their behaviour, not their background.

---

Also, on clothes:
    If it's been established that the chav-scum dress in a certain way, someone who dresses like them isn't necessarily scum themselves, but they're still choosing to associate themselves with the scum by dressing the same. They should be more aware of it. If every yobby cunt out there was wearing something, surely you'd wear something different.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissie View Post
    Chav has no relation to upbringing in my opinion. It refers to the way a person chooses to conduct themselves. Everyone has choices.
    Spot on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The problem of benefit fraud (which is I'm assuming part of what you mean when you say "sponging") is nowhere near as big a problem as the right wing media make out. There are significant checks especially with respect to unemployment insurance or JSA, making sure that individuals are actively looking for a job before they receive payments. See this:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/0...benefit-fraud/

Hmm. Thing is
    1) Two wrongs don't make a right and
    2) There are 650 MPs, how many menefit fraudsters are there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vpgreg View Post
    There's that book published recently by Owen Jones called "Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Class".

I can see where the argument will lead, but I agree with Chrissie. When I call people "scum" or "chavtastic wankscum" or "chav", I refer to their behaviour, not their background.

---

Also, on clothes:
    If it's been established that the chav-scum dress in a certain way, someone who dresses like them isn't necessarily scum themselves, but they're still choosing to associate themselves with the scum by dressing the same. They should be more aware of it. If every yobby cunt out there was wearing something, surely you'd wear something different.
    Chav! Lmao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    Hmm. Thing is
    1) Two wrongs don't make a right and
    2) There are 650 MPs, how many menefit fraudsters are there?
    Tax avoidance is worth 100 times what benefit fraud is. People who get angry at fraudsters should be much, much angrier at the wealthy elite not paying their taxes.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vpgreg View Post
    Tax avoidance is worth 100 times what benefit fraud is. People who get angry at fraudsters should be much, much angrier at the wealthy elite not paying their taxes.
    Nothing wrong with tax avoidance.