User Tag List

Page 22 of 448 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Whilst I think everyone should vote that's not a prescriptive opinion. Democracy is about choice and if you are compelling people to vote you are removing that choice.
    I also don't necessarily buy the assertion that everyone who doesn't vote is too disillusioned by the lack of choice, it's because they don't care.
    When the result is uncertain people turn out, in 1992 the turnout was 77% which is quite possibly a post war record. I think the turnout will be reasonably high this time for the same reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only easy thing any of us can do is vote
    LOL

What else should people be forced to do? Why stop at legitimising crooks? People could be forced to stand outside crooked banks and clap. Maybe we should all be forced to do national service so we could all chip in committing terrorist acts overseas? The possibilities are endless. I like the sound of this compulsory democracy. There's a special name for it I think but I can't remember what it is. Has something to do with moustaches and jack boots.

It's amazing you can draw the conclusion from your graph that voting should be compulsory. What your graph actually shows is the government is illegitimate and represents a minority over a majority. Solution? Force the majority to legitimise the minority.

It's not the farmer who is the main problem. It's the sheep.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Go on then...
    Sure of what?
    Sure that even if they simulate my vote by registering me against my will it is not lawfully binding because there's no consideration on their part and no consent on mine. I'm a genuine non-voter under the law and until they subvert the law there's nothing they can legitimately do about it.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also don't necessarily buy the assertion that everyone who doesn't vote is too disillusioned by the lack of choice, it's because they don't care.
    Certainly there is a body of apathy - little surprise really when you think about it. But the media and the crooks in office and "opposition" make a leap when they insist all resistance is based in apathy. In their dreams. There are plenty of people who have a keen sense of why they refuse to engage.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Certainly there is a body of apathy - little surprise really when you think about it. But the media and the crooks in office and "opposition" make a leap when they insist all resistance is based in apathy. In their dreams. There are plenty of people who have a keen sense of why they refuse to engage.
    True but I don't think people like yourself are in the majority, they are the kind of people like my friend whose response was when asked if they will vote was "nah can't be bothered". Whilst its not exactly an admirable attitude, I don't think anyone has the right to forcibly correct it.
    Frankly when I speak to a lot of people, I sometimes wonder if they deserve the right of suffrage in the first place,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Whilst I think everyone should vote that's not a prescriptive opinion. Democracy is about choice and if you are compelling people to vote you are removing that choice.
    They'd still have the choice to spoil their ballot paper. So you're not forcing people to vote for any of the candidates, but at least they'd have made a conscious decision to do that rather than just not bothering to do anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Sure that even if they simulate my vote by registering me against my will it is not lawfully binding because there's no consideration on their part and no consent on mine. I'm a genuine non-voter under the law and until they subvert the law there's nothing they can legitimately do about it.
    That'll show 'em!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm in the majority in terms of what most people would like to see. Where I differ is in my refusal to call a spade a representative democracy. With a lot of people the media will say the government is there to represent them. They just accept that without thought and without considering the evidence of their own eyes. Worse, there are plenty who know how corrupted the state is but they still vote for one of the main parties. It's hard to reconcile that sort of behaviour with any definition of sanity. You hear them claiming, "all bloody parties are the same and nothing changes no matter who gets in". You ask them who they will vote for and they answer, Labour.

So yes, in a way you should only be allowed to vote if you are sane. But then nobody would vote anyway because there's nobody to vote for.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll show 'em!
    I don't need to show them anything because I'm not in thrall. But I do accept that commonly agreed laws are a good idea.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd still have the choice to spoil their ballot paper. So you're not forcing people to vote for any of the candidates, but at least they'd have made a conscious decision to do that rather than just not bothering to do anything.
    What's the purpose behind this compulsion you are so keen on? So you force everyone to vote and 15 odd million people go and tick a box or spoil a ballot or whatever - it's meaningless because they don't give a fuck. Now what? What sort of conclusion are you seeking to draw from this meaningless exercise? Or should I more rightly say what sort of legitimacy are you trying to simulate?
    Für eure Sicherheit