Page 257 of 441 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 4408

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    A referendum isn’t going to happen. Looking at the support Farage is getting at the moment shows the only way forward is out.
    Only if he (and I guess UKIP) got more than half of the popular vote. Otherwise all it shows is that a lot of people are pissed off that they haven't delivered Brexit and will vote for anyone who says they will.
    But a lot of people are pissed off about the referendum result so a lot of people will vote for anyone who says they will revoke Article 50 or have another referendum. The Remain vote is more split than the leave one. This vote will send a message but I'd be extremely surprised if that message is that the majority of people still clearly want to leave.
    If there are indications that the majority of people now want to stay (the polls do indicate that - polls can be wrong of course but they're probably the best indication we have) then there is a case for a second vote.
    I doubt it will happen but this "you lost get over it" rhetoric is tiresome. Nowhere in the democracy rulebook does it say that the result of a vote stands for perpetuity with no prospect of a change of mind.
    You don't have a general election and the party who wins is in power forever no matter how close the result was or how opinion changes.
    The issues here are how close the result were, the lack of a plan from anyone about what Brexit actually meant and the length of time between the referendum and delivering on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Only if he (and I guess UKIP) got more than half of the popular vote. Otherwise all it shows is that a lot of people are pissed off that they haven't delivered Brexit and will vote for anyone who says they will.
    But a lot of people are pissed off about the referendum result so a lot of people will vote for anyone who says they will revoke Article 50 or have another referendum. The Remain vote is more split than the leave one. This vote will send a message but I'd be extremely surprised if that message is that the majority of people still clearly want to leave.
    If there are indications that the majority of people now want to stay (the polls do indicate that - polls can be wrong of course but they're probably the best indication we have) then there is a case for a second vote.
    I doubt it will happen but this "you lost get over it" rhetoric is tiresome. Nowhere in the democracy rulebook does it say that the result of a vote stands for perpetuity with no prospect of a change of mind.
    You don't have a general election and the party who wins is in power forever no matter how close the result was or how opinion changes.
    The issues here are how close the result were, the lack of a plan from anyone about what Brexit actually meant and the length of time between the referendum and delivering on it.
    I don’t think there’s any point talking about a second referendum. That moment has passed and no one has taken up the cause with any real gusto. There’s no doubt there is a case but who is going to present it? It’s not about ‘get over it’, it’s about what are our realistic options. No one is offering a second referrendum (Corbyn wants out of the EU too) which means it’s not on the table. May’s replacement isn’t going to offer one. Farage certainly isn’t. So it’s not really a real option anymore. Unless someone is going to step forward and really make the case for it, then it’s just not going to happen. The time to build momentum around that idea has gone. Those who wanted to stay (I fucking detest the leaver/remainer tags) should’ve been on that immediately with vigour once the results were out.
    Last edited by SMatthews; 24-05-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all the huff and puff of the lasr 3 years.its been almost forgotten that the last referendum result was advisory and non binding on parliament. People go on as if it was codified as soon as the result was announced. My suggestion is that henceforth a referendum result that is less than 55% is advisory and more than that should be obligatory on parliament. Maybe this will galvanize people to actually get up and vote on their futures
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh*

You're probably right. I don't accept that it's conclusively what "the people" want, but it's probably the only realistic option

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    In all the huff and puff of the lasr 3 years.its been almost forgotten that the last referendum result was advisory and non binding on parliament. People go on as if it was codified as soon as the result was announced. My suggestion is that henceforth a referendum result that is less than 55% is advisory and more than that should be obligatory on parliament. Maybe this will galvanize people to actually get up and vote on their futures
    There would be an understandable hoo-hah if they just went "OK, thanks for the advice but you don't know what you're doing so nah, we're not doing that".
    But there's definitely a case for a second referendum given how close the result was, the indications that public mood has changed and how much has happened since the first vote.
    Agree it's unlikely though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh*

You're probably right. I don't accept that it's conclusively what "the people" want, but it's probably the only realistic option
    I tend to agree but looking at the players involved and the options they are backing it's almost impossible to see where a second referendum will come from now. If anything, it's looking like a hard Brexit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There would be an understandable hoo-hah if they just went "OK, thanks for the advice but you don't know what you're doing so nah, we're not doing that".
    But there's definitely a case for a second referendum given how close the result was, the indications that public mood has changed and how much has happened since the first vote.
    Agree it's unlikely though.
    The problem was in the question on the ballot. "Leave the EU" sure, but replace it with what? It could be all things to all men, but the problems began for May when the terms of Brexit were first written down at Chequers.

For this to be successful, it needed to be a fully, implementable plan. Otherwise we just get years of squabbling. That's why it HAS to go back to the people. Get the best withdrawal agreement available (May's deal) and put it to the people vs. the status quo.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a few of those who voted leave were clear that they wanted the Empire to replace the EU.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Unaibomber View Post
    Quite a few of those who voted leave were clear that they wanted the Empire to replace the EU.
    They just need the trade federation to invade Naboo. Don’t they know anything?
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BBC's programme for Election Night begins at 10pm.

I'm fairly sure berks in their droves have voted for the Brexit Party.