Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64836425

Wait…Johnson lied? That can’t be so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year the Sue Gray report was vindication he broke no rules according to Boris Johnson.

Now the same report is a left wing stitch up and can’t be trusted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You could make it easier for me by cutting out the hyperbole and bullshit and just saying clearly what you mean.

If you mean I believe in the concept of a government then that is more or less true, but only because it is probably the least bad way of defining the rules which underpin a complex society. And some rules are certainly needed.
    And democracy is probably the least bad way of determining a government.
    But I'm certainly open to different ideas on either or both of the above.

And our form of democracy is particularly poor. And our government is full of incompetents who are corrupt and self serving.
    The lack of accountability and consequence for the above is depressing.
    So there is absolutely no way you could assert that I defended either our government specifically or our system of government more generally to the hilt, stop with the hyperbole and strawmanning.

So why do I vote? Because it's the system we have and I don't see any way of changing it. Not voting isn't some radical act of rebellion, it's losing the only chance you have to have any say in the way things are run.
    With the system we have you effectively have no say, particularly if you're in a safe seat, but it's all we've got.

Again, if you have some ideas about how to actually affect change then I'm all ears. What are you doing other than not voting and ranting on messageboards like this?
    Astonishing. The RULES you demand were provided by the God you pretend to worship. But what you really worship is the rule of Man. Utterly flawed with a track record of misery and suffering that cannot be paralleled anywhere in the animal kingdom. You are a man of God who abdicates your liberty to men who consider themselves qualified to rule your existence. You are a living, walking, breathing contradiction of your own existence. Either you believe in God or you believe in government, you can't have both. Unless you can suddenly point to an alignment between the will of God and the realities of our so called leaders and what they have done. Is there some similarity you can identify?

Love thy neighbour as you love thyself. Now show me this in government. You have the floor.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    The RULES you demand were provided by the God you pretend to worship.
    Indeed. And as a historically Christian country our laws have largely been based on those.
    But there are no rules in the Bible about minutiae like speed limits. One can generally come back to Biblical principles with many of these things, but someone should define the details of the rules. If you have a better idea for how to do that than a government then I'm all ears.
    Or maybe you think there should be more of a general "don't be a twat while driving" rule, but if one doesn't define what that means then how do you enforce it? It's too subjective.

But what you really worship is the rule of Man. Utterly flawed
    I certainly do not worship it, and yes it is flawed. Because people are. But ultimately some man made rules are necessary when you get in to the details of a complex society. So you need some way of defining them.

You are a man of God who abdicates your liberty to men who consider themselves qualified to rule your existence.
    They may well consider themselves qualified, but it's for "the people" to decide whether they are. They are not self-appointed, they are elected. And if they're not doing a good job then they can be removed. Well, that's the theory. The system we use to do all that is bloody awful and that's where I would want to see reform. But the principle of giving up some liberty in exchange for living in a society seems reasonable to me. Of course it depends how much the "some" is. There are some regimes I wouldn't want to live in. Ours have been historically fairly benign in as much as they don't interfere with my day to day life. They did during the pandemic of course, but those were temporary measures intended to deal with that situation and were removed when the situation changed.

You are a living, walking, breathing contradiction of your own existence. Either you believe in God or you believe in government, you can't have both.
    I reject the dichotomy you claim exists. So does the Bible:
    Romans 13:1-7

Unless you can suddenly point to an alignment between the will of God and the realities of our so called leaders and what they have done. Is there some similarity you can identify?

Love thy neighbour as you love thyself. Now show me this in government. You have the floor.
    Humans are flawed. Governments are made of humans and so are also flawed.
    And of course most of the people in government these days aren't Christians, so why would they make laws which are consistent with Christian teaching?
    And I hate to break it to you, but we don't live in a Christian country any more, not by any sensible definition of that phrase. So one could argue why should the laws the government make be aligned with a faith which most people now reject?

TL;DR, I don't believe the concept of government is wrong. I've yet to hear a better one, or a less bad one I guess. Your problem is you seem to only be able to think in black and white. I largely support the concept of government, therefore you claim I think it's "good". In reality I see it as the least bad way of defining the laws which necessarily from the basis of our modern society. If you have a better one then great, let's hear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!!
    The tax free pension limit per year has been raised from £40k a year to £60k a year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also free (yes, NQ, I know) childcare!

Not something I'd've expected from the Tories.

Guessing they're having to try to be popular to get some votes back.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nigel Lawson is dead
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do the good always die young?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.