User Tag List

Page 417 of 441 FirstFirst ... 317367407415416417418419427 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 4408

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HS2 was complete folly from the start, we have to thank the galaxy-brained Andrew Adonis for it (clearly the Greek God name went to his head), it never made sense economically even befoe Covid and the uptake of video technology - it makes even less sense now.

It's incredibly environmentally destructive and has diverted funds away from doing more to get people onto our exsting transport network - I'm willing to bet you could have made buses free for decades on the money they've spent but that's not exciting enough for the politicians

It's literally been politicians playing with train sets until someone has finally admitted it's not viable - of course they're well on the way with the London-Birmingham bit which was utterly pointless as that's not a difficult trip to start with - I do that a few times a year and i've barely time to drink a coffee and eat a sandwich and look at a few emails before I'm there.

Plus they forced the legendary Bree Louise pub in Euston to close because of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it folly to expect that a modern country such as ours should have a high speed rail infrastructure, whatever HS2 started as it was clear it should have been seen as a pilot project to connect up all the major cities in the uk?. And environmentally damaging compared to what…more roads?.

For me it’s a joke that even Trans-pennine services between Manchester and Leeds are slow, stop at every station commuter services. And getting from Liverpool to Newcastle, whether by road or by rail you’re looking at the better part of a day even though in pure distance it’s not actually that far.

Governments Tory and Labour, immediately fold like a deckchair at the hint of even the slightest hint of NIMBYism, and this is why we wonder why we haven’t built new nuclear power plants in this country since Thatcher was prime minister.

Typical of the average Brit, we want the better services but we don’t want what it takes to achieve it (no understanding of trade offs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still bit of good news, the people of Scotland are starting to appreciate what a bunch of scabby ring pieces make up the Scottish National Party are. The idea of being a progressive nationalist party is a contradiction in terms, and not bad enough that they’ve ruined what was a fantastic education system, presided over the shambles that is Police Scotland and it’s attempts to cudgel in the idea that a man can become a woman just by saying that he is one.
    They’ve shown themselves to be a bunch of crooks, capable only of sewing division and promoting a kind of Anti-English racism.
    I like Scotland and i like the people of Scotland, and the SNP’s attempt to turn the country into what Glasgow is (a bitter nasty cesspit) has failed and that should be considered a deliverance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I tend to avoid lowering myself to such discussions but i have to agree
    If you think women don’t have the very same conversations about men (admittedly probably not Tory MPs though…although for a while he was called Dishy Rishi) then I don’t know what to tell you.

However if I’ve jumped the gun, and you avoid these conversations because it’s low brow rather than misogynist fair enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HS2 getting cancelled is particularly galling for me, as somebody who lives an easy tram ride from Manchester Airport (which the Tories didn't know already exists when they were announcing replacement infrastructure )

Would be great to hop on a tram, then on a high speed train and be at Euston within 2 hours or so.

I'm the real victim in all of this.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    HS2 getting cancelled is particularly galling for me, as somebody who lives an easy tram ride from Manchester Airport (which the Tories didn't know already exists when they were announcing replacement infrastructure )

Would be great to hop on a tram, then on a high speed train and be at Euston within 2 hours or so.

I'm the real victim in all of this.
    Current rail services from London to Manchester are about two hours, the hope would be to shave off another half hour off that time.

I just think when other European countries have excellent high speed rail services, what’s the problem for us?

Personally if it was my choice I’d burrow right underneath the earth and install a Maglev line , get you door to door between London and Edinburgh in 15 minutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Current rail services from London to Manchester are about two hours, the hope would be to shave off another half hour off that time.

I just think when other European countries have excellent high speed rail services, what’s the problem for us?

Personally if it was my choice I’d burrow right underneath the earth and install a Maglev line , get you door to door between London and Edinburgh in 15 minutes
    a half hour less for what is actually at least a 3 hour journey door-to-door is neither here or there, certainly not worth tearing up the countryside and wasting billions on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have to get from Wythenshawe to the train station though, so that's either 2 trams to Piccadilly or an infrequent and unreliable bus to Stockport (cycling or ubering are also options, but each has its own flaws).

That adds about an hour to my journey time either way.

HS2 would remove all the inconvenience on the Manchester side and make it trivially easy for me.

Obviously I'm not suggesting public infrastructure should be entirely focused on what would be most convenient for me, but it is a reason for me to be a bit gutted about it.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a half hour less for what is actually at least a 3 hour journey door-to-door is neither here or there, certainly not worth tearing up the countryside and wasting billions on
    It doesn’t make a difference for you, you mean.

And again it’s a short sighted way of looking at it, as opposed to the overall time saving and interlinked cities we would have at the end.

Have Germany, Italy and France destroyed all their country side by having high speed rail networks? I don’t think they have have they.

You have idiots saying well why don’t we invest more in local mass transit services as if it should be an either or. The Tories making a pre-election pledge to install a tram system in Leeds? Great why should that deter a high speed intercity network also. If you’re worried about finances maybe get rid of the awful and stupid system where you prevent local authorities from being able to borrow thus making them completely dependent on central budgeting.

If you want less cars on the road, rather than punitive measures actually incentivise alternatives

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they're well on the way with the London-Birmingham bit which was utterly pointless as that's not a difficult trip to start with - I do that a few times a year and i've barely time to drink a coffee and eat a sandwich and look at a few emails before I'm there.
    You do read slow though