User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Julian Draxler Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    We were willing to blow the Higuain deal for a difference of several million too, so is it any wonder....
    Tbf we thought we could get Suarez for not a lot more than Higuain and Suarez is a far superior player so I think the club were justified in letting Higuain go and going for Suarez. In hindsight it was a mistake but I'm not sure Higuain is that much better than Giroud and worth £35m tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknight02 View Post
    Well you know what if that is true then there's nothing we can do about it.

There's a limit you can afford to go with paying for a player. End of the day and realistically we are not billionaire club and we have fixed resources and if we reached a point where Schalke wanted to deal then that's what we have to stick by.

My only hope is that We continue to be in touch with Draxler throughput the next six months and we ensure he'll go for us in the summer when a bidding war begins or rather we finish the business before the World Cup.

But having said that, Draxler was always going to be a hopeful punt for this season. It doesn't excuse the fact that we didn't look for a striker which was needed this season.

Hard to sign a top striker in Jan though. No club sells a top striker in Jan unless they're financially fucked or the buying club pays way over the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post

Hard to sign a top striker in Jan though. No club sells a top striker in Jan unless they're financially fucked or the buying club pays way over the odds.
    Tbf, we should have signed another one in the summer, but hey, what do I know.

I'm happy with the achievements thus far, and it's a pleasant suprise, I must admit.

Just like us to sign an injured player on loan though. That is just stupidity.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Tbf, we should have signed another one in the summer, but hey, what do I know.
    Well it's not as though we didn't try.

This team has had 8 years of underinvestment. It's going to take a few more Ozil type buys before we have a genuine chance of winning the league. Couple more big buys and we'll have a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan Aage Fjortoft ‏@JanAageFjortoft 15 t.

"Draxler just been on Sky saying that he could have left, had great offers, but at the end Schalke-boss Heldt said no."

So stop listening to the "great" english twitter journalists who posts bullshit about Wenger saying no. In the end i think Schalke were never going to sale Draxler no mather what in this transfer window, they're in a tough fight for the last champions league spots this season, selling Draxler now could mean that they would lose out on chl next season.
    Last edited by JonasTC; 02-02-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    Tbf we thought we could get Suarez for not a lot more than Higuain and Suarez is a far superior player so I think the club were justified in letting Higuain go and going for Suarez. In hindsight it was a mistake but I'm not sure Higuain is that much better than Giroud and worth £35m tbh.
    I'm not saying pulling out of the Higuain deal was right or wrong....only that I am not surprised we were not willing to go the extra 7 million more (allegedly) to get Draxler. I, like you (judging from your post in the other thread), suspect that he was overpriced to begin with, even at only 30 million. However, I was intrigued that the manger was willing to invest such an amount in a player that young and was happy to bow to his judgement on it as a result.

Going into the season without another top forward, by whichever means we were to acquire him through was quite foolish, providing we were actually intent on winning anything.....and that was our real crime.

The pursuit of Suarez for my money was a farce, start to finish. I took issue with us going for him and it just so turned out after it all fizzled out that there were even more reasons than I previously envisaged not to waste our time on the bloke.

Despite the cock ups had we offered 50 million for Suarez (and Liverpool do have previous, not to mention Rogers even went as far as saying early into this season that Suarez was a 50 million pound player) we may well have ended up with him. Despite the nonsense with the clause.

And it is hard to imagine that Higuain, though it may be argued he is not hugely better than Giroud (though I think the difference in quality is significant enough), would not have added a few more points to our tally than we already have. Wherever we finish in the league, the short comings of the summer of 2013 is going to make us look rather sheepish..... unless of course we actually win the league/double/triple.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 02-02-2014 at 05:59 AM.