User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we give up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we give up?

Firstly, can I say that I despise what Citeh, and to a slightly lesser extent the Chavs are doing to our league. It sickens me the way the whole football world is creaming their pants about the City 'goal machine' and the genius of Pellegrini - when the reality is that he inherited a billion pound squad, and then added at least 3 of the world's best players to it. Fuck's sake, will no pundit or commentator ever point out that for all of this money, Citeh have under-achieved in the past and bloody well should be out of sight in the league and playing the best football on earth? As for Maureen - reporters should be savaging him rather than sucking him off for the way he plays, and the pitiful excuses he makes, despite the ridiculous funds at his disposal.

I'd go so far as to say that these 2 clubs have done more to turm me off football altogether than any number of trophyless years as an Arsenal fan.

But ranting over - I want to ask those who say we can't compete against the billionaires whether we should just throw in the towel and accept that we will never win anything again? Because no matter how well run Arsenal is; no matter what our commercial success is using a proper business model - we will never compete financially unless we go the same route as Citeh; Chelsea; PSG; Monaco (we will never get the state aid of RM or Barca; and we will of course never have top dog status like Bayern). We can hope all we like, but PSG have shown in stark relef the pointlessness of FFP - and the reality is that there is so much money swilling around the game, and the EPL will forever be bloated with TV money - that there simply won't be a 'crash' when rich owners lose interest. The future is likely only to see more money, not less, invested in our competitors.

So, if we accept that this season is steroid Citeh's for the taking - and that the future will see just as much, if not more financial doping - then what's the point? Do we accept that our once proud club is now doomed to accept CL football as the summit of our achievements - and if so do we all need to alter our position as fans permanently, and concentrate simply on enjoying the wins we get on matchdays, without harbouring any greater ambition than that? What's the point of making limited progress this season if we all accept that we are not going, realistically to win the league this season; next season; the season after.

And should we all stop criticising club and/or manager if finishing top 4 is the best we are ever realistically going to do?
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The economy is in a much, much worse state than the lying politicians are letting on. TV money will be jeopardised as fewer fans can afford the ridiculous prices charged by Sky. Gate receipts will drop as fewer corporations endorse jollies and more fans are priced out of the seats. The International courts and UN are paying more attention to the vicious animals who run city and the human rights abuses and slave trade they are notorious for. The gangster Abramovich rides around in a bulletproof car and sails a yacht equipped with surface to air missiles and an escape submarine. His life depends on staying in favour with the despot Putin. Lots of things can happen, currently everything is being held together by rubber bands. If a few snap then we could see some dramatic changes.

Remember, public relations and corporate spin is all about coating the puss dripping reality. As with everything to do with money, it's a faith based proposition. If the faith dissolves then the reality is exposed.

What we can say, even if we hate it in many ways, is our club has been run as a proper business. So we are better prepared for any eventuality.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until we start making use of the funds we have earned, I won't accept that we have no chance against the oil rich clubs. If we fail again this season, I'll look back on this day with sheer frustration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Until we start making use of the funds we have earned, I won't accept that we have no chance against the oil rich clubs. If we fail again this season, I'll look back on this day with sheer frustration.
    Exactly! SAF won the league despite these two shit teams. Shows what you can do with decent resources and a great manager. We have the resources now but we do not have a SAF or a great manager.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we could compete, we just need a manager who's not risk averse.

Wenger is showing in this transfer window what he's been showing for years, he hasn't got the stomach for the fight, any other manager would be looking at strengthening the team to give us something extra in the title race, he goes and signs some has been crock who hasn't played for 3 months and who will have no impact at all.

That sums it up really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    Exactly! SAF won the league despite these two shit teams. Shows what you can do with decent resources and a great manager. We have the resources now but we do not have a SAF or a great manager.
    You're a fucking spoiled brat, go cheer for City or smth. Wenger has taken this club from average to one of the biggest clubs in the world, and we are today one of the few clubs with a healthy economy. He could easily have taken a job at an infinite money club earlier in his career and win a couple of trophies and be called "the great one" like Mourinho or whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasTC View Post
    You're a fucking spoiled brat, go cheer for City or smth. Wenger has taken this club from average to one of the biggest clubs in the world, and we are today one of the few clubs with a healthy economy. He could easily have taken a job at an infinite money club earlier in his career and win a couple of trophies and be called "the great one" like Mourinho or whatever.
    He shouldve left tbh.. Wouldve loved to see if he won anything elsewhere. Unfortunately he is still with us..
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think we could compete, we just need a manager who's not risk averse.

Wenger is showing in this transfer window what he's been showing for years, he hasn't got the stomach for the fight, any other manager would be looking at strengthening the team to give us something extra in the title race, he goes and signs some has been crock who hasn't played for 3 months and who will have no impact at all.

That sums it up really.
    I agree with your summary of the transfer window, Zimm, but I genuinely think that Wenger is both our greatest asset and our limiting factor. When you consider everything - including the development of players - there are arguably no better managers in the league. SAF could have won the league with our squad, but he is a one off. Mourinho and Pellegrini couldn't - and even if we spent what we can - I'm not sure they could pull it off without their owners' billions.

You only have to look at Chelsea's succession of 'big name' managers - or Spur's chopping and changing to see that it would be very, very difficult to succeed with a new manager who would come inevitably with weaker area's - whether in reputation; eye for a developmental player or technical expertise - than Wenger has. What makes me tear mmy hair out is Wenger's seeming choice, every time, to manage with the handbreak on - and his aversion to seeking coaching (tactical?) assistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonasTC View Post
    We won lots of trophies before Wenger, you know?