Page 517 of 519 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519 LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 5187

Thread: Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Maybe we're hoping to muddle through the first half of the season with 6 senior defenders (7 if Bellerin gets promoted) and the old timers in holding mid. It's not great, but nothing can be done now.

Priority in Jan is to go out and buy a back-up CB and the best young holding mid we can find though.
    if we can keep Kos & BFG fit, then I wouldn't be overly surprised if Chambers plays the DM role (which in all honesty, I believe is a good thing).

I know some people have reservations about Welbeck (myself included), but I do have a feeling that he may well do a "Sturridge" and shine for us.

I always felt that the main problem we had was that our spearhead for the attack was a HOLDING player, and not 1 that would pressure Defenders. This meant that Ozil's only real outlet was Walcott, and I don't believe that it was a mere coincidence that Ozil's form plummeted when Walcott's Season ended prematurely.

With the purchases that we have made this window, I think Wenger is very much looking to build the Team around Ozil and providing him with a pacey forward line to run at the defence and make the most of his through balls.

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the team look like this when all are fit:

Chez
    Debz - BFG - Kos - Gibbs
    Chambers
    Ozil - Ramsey
    Wally - Welbeck - Sanchez

Personally, I don't think that's a bad line-up. My only concern is that this is solely dependant on Walcott continuing with his prior form, Welbeck achieving the potential that he was believed to have had and Sanchez continuing his swift transition to the EPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerlathon View Post
    I do have a feeling that he may well do a "Sturridge" and shine for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had a sleepless night trying to fathom out how well paid people at our club could make our transfer dealings any more ridiculous, I am now resigned to the fact that it is what it is.
    On the plus side we have spent near on £80 mill this window. We got back £15 mill for Tommy & I would imagine that £65 mill is seen as a decent spend by most of us. We don't have a suger daddy like the Chavs or Gypos & do not use other peoples money when we can't pay it back, like United. There has been a figure of £70 mill banded around for us this window, if thats the case then we can't have done much more yesterday.
    The problem for me though is the reluctance to add to areas where we have obvious weakness, in the squad as well as the starting line up. Starting line up wise, I am still convinced we need a quality left back, Defensive midfielder & a goal scorer. Squad wise we need CB cover & another box to box midfleder incase of injury to Rambo.
    We have really only added strength to the squad with the additions of Sanchez & Welbeck. Ospina, Chambers & Debauchy are replacements, not additions.
    I quite like to look of Sanchex,Welbeck & Walcott in attack with Rambo & Ozil in behind - would be better with a proven goalscorer but lets see what Welbeck can do. If money wasn't the issue yesterday I would have liked to got either Carvalho or Schneiderlein in for the DM role & we should be beating the likes of Southampton to the signing of Alderweild - can't quite believe we didn't push for that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think these signings confirm the sum of our ambition is 4th place, we won't have enough to win the major trophies, you don't with players like Wellbeck and Debuchy.

It's been an OK summer, I'm not bowled over by the signings, Sanchez was a great one but other than that not overly impressive, seems to be a bit more about quantity rather than quality, I personally feel we could have spent a bit better than we have if you look at the players who move around this summer.

As always though Wenger has his methods and they're always different from what other people think should be done, he doesn't like to follow the logical methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Think these signings confirm the sum of our ambition is 4th place, we won't have enough to win the major trophies, you don't with players like Wellbeck and Debuchy.

It's been an OK summer, I'm not bowled over by the signings, Sanchez was a great one but other than that not overly impressive, seems to be a bit more about quantity rather than quality, I personally feel we could have spent a bit better than we have if you look at the players who move around this summer.

As always though Wenger has his methods and they're always different from what other people think should be done, he doesn't like to follow the fathomable methods.
    Much better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Debucy, Chambers and Ospina you can argue were all replacements that needed to be made else our sanity needed checking so I tend not to look so much at the fact we spent just under 80 million this summer.

I would like to understand Wenger's real reasons for not being that hot on Remy....which we may never find out. It isn't just money either. We managed to convince ourselves that Sanchez was our central forward.....and kept hold of it even after he was hauled off at half time the other day.... Now Wenger spends 17 pieces of silver on another DEFINITE Centre forward rather than a wide player.

Gutted we didn't get Carvalho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerlathon View Post
    if we can keep Kos & BFG fit, then I wouldn't be overly surprised if Chambers plays the DM role (which in all honesty, I believe is a good thing).

I know some people have reservations about Welbeck (myself included), but I do have a feeling that he may well do a "Sturridge" and shine for us.

I always felt that the main problem we had was that our spearhead for the attack was a HOLDING player, and not 1 that would pressure Defenders. This meant that Ozil's only real outlet was Walcott, and I don't believe that it was a mere coincidence that Ozil's form plummeted when Walcott's Season ended prematurely.

With the purchases that we have made this window, I think Wenger is very much looking to build the Team around Ozil and providing him with a pacey forward line to run at the defence and make the most of his through balls.

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see the team look like this when all are fit:

Chez
    Debz - BFG - Kos - Gibbs
    Chambers
    Ozil - Ramsey
    Wally - Welbeck - Sanchez

Personally, I don't think that's a bad line-up. My only concern is that this is solely dependant on Walcott continuing with his prior form, Welbeck achieving the potential that he was believed to have had and Sanchez continuing his swift transition to the EPL.
    I'd put Santi ahead of Ozil on performances. Ozil only plays because we paid a bazillion dollars for him. I would also play Ox instead of Chambers when we play the bottom half teams.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about Cazorla. Let him and Ozil fight for the same spot and get picked on form and at the moment that's Santi.

Ox as DM? No thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    I'd put Santi ahead of Ozil on performances. Ozil only plays because we paid a bazillion dollars for him. I would also play Ox instead of Chambers when we play the bottom half teams.
    I agree that at the moment, Cazorla is ahead of Ozil in terms of current form and there will obviously be rotation (due to injuries, fatigue, etc) as games go by.

I agree with Penguin, Ox is in no way, shpe or form a DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I agree about Cazorla. Let him and Ozil fight for the same spot and get picked on form and at the moment that's Santi.

Ox as DM? No thanks
    I am saying.. we dont need a DM against the smaller teams. Ramsey, Ox and Santi can do the job combined.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..