New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanchez - 32m
    Debuchy - 12m
    Chambers - 16m

That's 60m in a single transfer window, before the season has begun.
    And looks like more may be on their way..!

#crazytimes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    BBC reporting 16 million as the fee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28497920

Quite a lot of money and I reckon we could have got him for a lot lower before Southampton received the Lallana and Shaw money. However if he's the long term guy we've identified then I'm glad we've gone in decisively for him and got our man instead of reflecting back in two years when he's lighting it up at Chelsea after signing for £30 million.
    Mirror says 7 mil.....wonder which one is right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from all the kindergarten catcalling am I the only one worried about our lack of a spine? All you need to do is look at the defeats we had last season to realise OK we have good signings, but buying 2 good RB's and maybe getting a CD or CDM 5 games in is a good idea? We started last season without a spine and were smashed by Villa (and the ref, TBF).

I am sure some Gooners might be interested in our defeats last season and how they came about. I've only included early CL games as we went to Napoli with an understrength side and scraped it, then what happens in the last 16 isn't a surprise:

Villa (H) 1-3
    Started brightly. We scored in the first half and looked comfortable for a while, but were soon on the back foot with the pace of Benteke, Delph, Weimann and Agbonlahor, players Arsenal management were totally familiar with ran us ragged straight through the rusty spine. Wilshere operated as a CDM, I think for the only time last season.

Agreed the ref was a disgrace but we were lacking a defensive midfielder, AW choosing to start the season with only Arteta and him not being fit to start. Crystal Pulis might be looking interestedly at our spine on the first game of the season.

Borussia Dortmund (H) 1-2
    Rambo mistake cost us the first goal, second goal Lewandowski not being tracked back through the middle.

Again ref should have sent off Lewandowski, but the fact remains we conceded goals through the spine.

Man Utd (A) 1-0
    Merts was ill and didn't start. Arteta was ill but did. RVP, well-marked by Giroud but still scored a looping header from a basic corner. TV5 played his usual marauding game but conceded the corner and ballooned a chance from the edge of the box with our last chance of the game.

We were poor, didn't have a beast of a CD or CDM and it showed. Ref was OK.

Man City (A) 6-3
    Defence was a shambles and the spine crumbled every time City broke forward. Ref had a shocker and with a less biased ref we could have won 6-5. Lost Kos for TV5 at the end of the first half and the space the hosts had with the confidence they had coming off the back of a 6-0 drubbing of Spurs showed we needed a midfield beast or a decent replacement CD.

Everton (H) 1-1
    OK not a defeat but a losing draw. Again looked ragged through the spine as Lukaku, Deulofeu and Barkley ran riot. Ref was OK.

Liverpool (A) 5-1
    Total shambles all round. Monreal chosen ahead of Gibbs and Liverpool targeted him as Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez ran riot. Not just the spine that we needed that game, but balls of steel, but they were nowhere to be seen. First goal was offside and a few biased calls favoured Liverpool, but they murdered us anyway.

Man Utd (H) 0-0
    AW decided we'd play for a 0-0 and that's what we did, although RVP nearly poached a winner near the end when the CD partnership had switched off. Ref was OK.

Stoke (A) 1-0
    AW was again going for the 0-0 but the ref put paid to that. Can't point the finger at anyone in this game. Ref was a homer.

Chelsea (A) 6-0
    See Liverpool (A). Ref had a shocker and perhaps we'd not have conceded that many if we'd had the 11 players on the park we should have.

Swansea (H) 2-2
    Couldn't put them away. Bony beat TV5 for a good header, TV5 concedes too many good headers for me. We stormed back second half and then a crazy Flamini OG blew all the work. Ref OK.

Everton (A) 3-0
    We had both Flamini and Arteta in CDM but Vermaelen (again) and Monreal were all over the show. Lukaku and Barkley killed us. Ref OK.

I know AW is an analytical genius and I'm not but he's collecting RB's like Mourinho collects midfielders. Hopefully he's right and I'm wrong but unless we shore up that spine I think City will comprehensively beat us in a fortnight and Palace will be looking to do a Villa on the first day because AW isn't addressing what to me looks like a weakness that can be exploited.

If anyone can see what I'm getting at I'd appreciate a reasoned response.
    Last edited by Slacker; 26-07-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Missed a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one came out of nowhere?!

Great news to wake up to though - makes me think our spending isn't as done as I was fearing yesterday.

Loving how none of the papers and gossip sites picked up on this until it was practically done! Too busy making shit up to follow the real news I guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im falling in love with Wenger again.

Now gets that League 1 calibre players are not adequate back up for anything. See you around Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CDM and a striker and we're done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Journalist from Southampton:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think it's a smart investment, and the fact he's versatile probably twisted Wengers arm. You can't knock Southamptons production line so lets hope this kid is another gem.

Hopefully we're still chasing a DM, I'm worried he may leave things as they are with Diaby seemingly available...

I also think we need to convince Vermaelen to stay, even if it means him walking on a free next season.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 26-07-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General consensus seems to be that we've moved for him a year early as he probably would have moved to Chelsea or City for £30m next summer.

Well done board + manager.