User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonable Expectations

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasonable Expectations

What are we expecting this year? I get the impression from some people that they feel Wenger will have failed if we don't win the league. I don't see it that way. At the start of the season it didn't even cross my mind that we would be anywhere near the title. The last 2 seasons we've just about crawled into the top 4 on the last day, last summer's transfer window seemed like a fiasco and although the 11th hour signing of Ozil was a good one I didn't think it would be enough to help us have a serious title challenge. The issue at the start of the season was whether we could stay in the top 4, not whether we could win the league.

We're competing with teams who have infinite resources and not only are we competing with them, we're actually ahead of them at the moment. Not bad for a bumbling idiot who gets called every name under the sun on here. This season has been remarkable so far and while I'm still not convinced we'll stay above the billionaires there's a clear improvement this year. Enough to make me content with the direction the club are heading in.

It has to be said that some of Wenger's decisions are baffling, we clearly need more up front and all we do in the transfer window is sign a midfielder who's injured . But for all the times I want to strangle him, he's built another very good side who are up there competing with the best of them. I don't think winning the title should be the only criteria for success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything short of world domination is unacceptable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all seriousness, I don't know how Wenger is doing it, but as of right now, he is. You may not like what happened in the transfer market, but I fail to understand how people can't get behind him and be happy about what this team has done to date. We are literally miles ahead of all the real football clubs in this league.

If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Anything short of world domination is unacceptable.

Your face is unacceptable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just happy to be competing for the title again, would have laughed if someone said we'd be in this position back in the summer. As long as we take it to the wire I'll be content, I just don't want us to suddenly bomb like we have done when we've looked competitive in the past. Too many false dawns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Wenger will definitely have failed if he doesn't win the title because surely that's what a club of our stature sets out to do each year. You can't call not winning it success. But it's also true there are reasons beyond his control why failure might be the end result. There are reasons within his control too, but we all know that.

My expectation is for us to go on and win the title. Why not? 24 games in and so far we're the best team in the league, the table confirms it. 14 games left in which to keep on doing what we have been doing. Even if the fans don't expect success I at least hope the players and manager do. If we don't win it but at least give it 100% until the end of the season then you hold your hands up and say you were beaten by the better team. If we don't give it 100% all the way then that's a massive problem.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Just happy to be competing for the title again, would have laughed if someone said we'd be in this position back in the summer. As long as we take it to the wire I'll be content, I just don't want us to suddenly bomb like we have done when we've looked competitive in the past. Too many false dawns.
    Sounds like Moyes at Utd, just happy to be there. We're top whether we expected to be or not and sure we're all happy about this unexpected surprise. But the media is doing enough of treating us like guests that have outstayed their welcome, no need for people connected to the club to be doing the same. We've played ourselves into the mix and deserve our spot at the top of the table. Just need to close it out now for a seriously remarkable achievement against the comedy duo chasing us.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think we'll finish 2nd behind City, although our chances of winning the thing are much higher now that they've lost at home and there won't be that mental block over visiting teams going there. They're much more likely to drop points at home now, I reckon. Make no mistake, last night was a fantastic result for us.

We have a decent chance in the Cup as long as we beat Liverpool (obviously) given one of the two Scum clubs will be out and the rest, Everton apart, are pub teams.

CL-wise, doubt we'll get past Bayern, quarters at best IMO.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as we gave it a good go, then I would not mind if we won nothing.

At the end of the day, only 1 Team can win... As long as long as I get the impression that our Team has actually given a sh*t and tried (which if we are being honest here hasn't really looked like it over seasons past) then I will quite happily cheer for them even if they lose.

Obviously I would love it if we won something, but come the end of the Season if we are scrapping it out for 1st Place then I will say we have come leaps & bounds from the last (which is more than enough to warrant a new contract fro Wenger imho).

Also, we are starting to see the fruits of the hard work from the past decade... To chuck the Man who was ultimately a major factor of this seems a little harsh to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea what will happen from here on but our failure to strengthen in January really pisses me off. I know the players will give their all until the season is over but it would be nice if the management and staff could say the same. The last minute shop around for a crocked player is pretty unbelievable. We've seen the team really push on to stop repeating the same sort of mistakes during a match that would usually cost us points and we really need to see the same sort of effort from management.

One or two good signings and if would have been reasonable to expect a title push but I'm really not so sure now.