User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone calling for Wenger to be sacked...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ the OP. I would be hugely fussed, because I think that initially he would eb very successful at Chavs and Citeh, working with players who know how to win things. He would also be kept on his toes and challenged - which would vastly increase his effectiveness.

Of course, it wouldn't happen, because he would not tolerate any reduction in the omnipotent status he has with us.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    I think so. Under pressure, he can't cope. When he's the underdog he excels but when expected to deliver he buckles. I think the nerves get to him.
    Bottling it has been a recurring theme for all of his teams.

99 FA Cup semi, losing to Leeds in the 99 title run in, Uefa Final 2000, FA Cup final 2001, 2003 title run in. The seeds were sown long before the Emirates era begun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

99 FA Cup semi, losing to Leeds in the 99 title run in, Uefa Final 2000, FA Cup final 2001, 2003 title run in. The seeds were sown long before the Emirates era begun.
    I don't think that's fair. It's easy to cherry pick big games we lost but there were loads we won too. Utd at Old Trafford in '98 in the title run in, again in 2002 to win the title, a few FA Cup finals

Did Utd bottle it in the FA Cup semi-final or CL Final this year? No team wins every big game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    I don't think that's fair. It's easy to cherry pick big games we lost but there were loads we won too. Utd at Old Trafford in '98 in the title run in, again in 2002 to win the title, a few FA Cup finals

Did Utd bottle it in the FA Cup semi-final or CL Final this year? No team wins every big game.
    I know you can;t win every big game but we lost the games I mentioned in an exceptional manner/circumstance which is what I wanted to allude to. Just like how we screw up in the same vein these days as well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

I was thinking about this recently.

Well more about the 2003 collapse than the others. That has been swept under the carpet for what we did the season after but in hindsight you can see, as you say the mentality issue was a problem then as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we replaced him with Pep Guardiola and spent 100mill in building a squad I couldn't give two shits where he went. If we replaced him with with some midtable dross like Hughes, I'd hope he went abroad tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    He's not suddenly become a bad manager but I think he has become a little too principled.
    Thing is I basically agree with his principles of not getting involved with the silly money transfer market (he has got involved with the silly money wages but he has no option there) but I think he could have spent a bit more without 'selling out' and given us a better chance of success.
    He has done well to keep us top 4, I think people underestimate how well, but I do think he should move on now as I'm not sure he can take us any further. Which doesn't mean I think anyone else can in this era of the billionaire sugar-daddy.
    This

He has done well to keep us top 4, I think people underestimate how well, but I do think he should move on now as I'm not sure he can take us any further. Which doesn't mean I think anyone else can in this era of the billionaire sugar-daddy.
    Is the most lucid summary I have read on the AW conundrum.

I defy anyone to be able to predict confidently that a successor would do better, because as much as I and almost everyone else have had enough of the frustration of seeing Wenger unwilling or unable to correct the obvious failings in our team, losing him will lose the other things that have made us able to compete in relative adversity. Being a mangnet for the best young talent; the technical excellence that he has fostered; the ability at (albeit increasingly infrequent) time to play Barca-style total football; the reputation with which he enhances the club.

Winning trophies is very, very difficult. We should not confuse our desperation to at least try something new with the likelihood that it will be better.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasri Scoreng View Post
    Winning trophies is very, very difficult. We should not confuse our desperation to at least try something new with the likelihood that it will be better.
    Is it?

Since we last won a trophy, all of our major rivals for the title/CL places have won something. In fact if it wasnt for a bout of Rafaitis that struck Liverpool, they'd be much better placed atm as well.

Even Birmingham have won something since 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasri Scoreng View Post
    and writing about it and shouting from the stands is far easier when you know you don't have to back it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, quite, Terry. But we're fans of the club, and this is a message board to debate that club.

If you're gonna say that to everyone, we might as well abandon the site and all fuck off. Then we can just sit in silence (irony there) at the emirates, and just thank our lucky stars that we've just paid £100 + on a day out to watch the same old shite.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.