User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crazy money starts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £35mill for Carroll will be chump change if he fires them into the CL and on into competition with Utd and Chelski at the top, which I fully expect to happen and at our expense. Carroll, if he fulfils his potential, will be a top, top PL striker - perfectly suited to this league. He's in sharp contrast to Suarez (so we'll see how that works out), who looks another top rate buy. Contrast these two to the shit we have, Chamakh, Bendtner. Yes we have RvP and we have Theo if Wenger would get a clue and play him up front, but with RvPs injury record and Theo blowing hot and cold and having failed to live up to his potential so far I'd much rather have the Liverpool pairing. RvP is the best of the bunch but has no viable strike partner. Basically Pool got two top strikers in return for Torres who didn't want to be there and hadn't delivered in months, plus a few quid on top. Great business and a real statement of intent.

Dalglish will have been looking for very different players to the type we bring into Arsenal. I doubt he'd tolerate the lightweights we have here. I don't believe it's useful to compare the transfer policies of the two clubs because Dalglish has a grasp of the English game where plainly Wenger does not. I'd much rather have Dalglish as the manager too btw. Pool will easily finish above us next year unless they self-destruct in some manner. Even then, I doubt their self-destruct button is anywhere as potent as ours. Bottom line, the clubs spending the money are on the way up, stingy bastards like our board and Wenger have ensured we are on the way down.

The money does count and it's not silly money if everyone bar us us doing it. We're the silly ones frankly, thinking we are somehow above it all. If that's the way football works in this country then that's the way it works, we either face it or carry on down the table. We used to be assured a top 2 finish, now we're talking about top 4, soon it will be top 6. That's the trend we're on and it's down to having ripped out the quality from the team and replaced it with cheap dross.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Spanish radio saying Aguero will join us after the Copa America for £37m.

Crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pool will easily finish above us next year

Let's keep this for reference at the end of next season.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGog Is Going View Post
    Apparently Spanish radio saying Aguero will join us after the Copa America for £37m.

Crazy.
    I will hold off on judging this "report" as it is not even finding its way onto the Liverpool or Atletico Madrid sections of Newsnow which is pretty good at reporting all the rumours, however crazy they might seem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    We used to be assured a top 2 finish, now we're talking about top 4, soon it will be top 6. That's the trend we're on and it's down to having ripped out the quality from the team and replaced it with cheap dross.
    Sorry, Niall, but that read like it was written by someone who started supporting Arsenal when Wenger joined and has never bothered to look back into Arsenal's history.
    Last edited by Toronto Gooner; 09-06-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    Sorry, Niall, but that read like it was written by someone who started supporting Arsenal when Wenger joined and has never bothered to look back into Arsenal's history.
    I remember the time before Wenger very well. Fans back then had a clear understanding of where the club stood in the scheme of things. There were no silly promises or false assurances, we took each season as it came, satisfied ourselves with cup runs (when the cup still meant something) and celebrated when George Graham overachieved. I remember it all very well. But your point doesn't hold water anyway. Man Utd used to be in the old 2nd division. Then then waited years for a title win. They were the team that almost could but never did. Does that mean they can now drop to mid-table but console themselves that things are still better than they used to be years back? I don't think so. Just as I don't think a club like ours which raised the standards can be easily excused when those standards reverse and continue to drop. If we accept that, if we agree we are a club in decline, then what's to be done about it? Certainly you don't propose accepting it because we once finished below Middlesbro' in the old division one? Sometimes decline is inevitable and beyond the control of the club, periods of success come and go. But I never experienced a team as gutless as the current one under George Graham or Terry Neill. I never saw collapses of the type we see today. There's something very different about the failure that has enveloped the present day team, something fundamentally wrong with the club I haven't witnessed before. In fact I can't recall ever seeing a string of failure such as we've experienced in any top flight team. We had winners at the club and now we have losers. Surely this is self evident? Who brought these losers in on the cheap? Who let experienced and talented players go without replacing them? And why? Was it to calmly accept the decline of the club? No, it was supposed to be a period of austerity whilst the club upped it's financial status, it was supposed to be a period where youngsters were brought through to carry the club forwards. It hasn't happened though, instead we've gone backwards. Wenger has failed, the board hasn't delivered. Most of our players are crap. I don't care how talented they are or how many passed they can string together, when it comes time to do the business they collapse. Happens every year. This lot aren't a patch on what we used to have at the club and that includes the era before Wenger. At least basck then we had players who gave a shit about the shirt. We have precious few now.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    I will hold off on judging this "report" as it is not even finding its way onto the Liverpool or Atletico Madrid sections of Newsnow which is pretty good at reporting all the rumours, however crazy they might seem.
    Oh it'll never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I remember the time before Wenger very well. .... But your point doesn't hold water anyway. Man Utd used to be in the old 2nd division.
    You did not read what I wrote then. I did not say that you only started supporting Arsenal when Wenger started as manager.: I said that what you wrote read like something that had been written by someone who had. Stating "We used to be assured a top 2 finish," gives the impression of someone who does not know Arsenal's history. It would be akin to someone who started supporting Man U when the premier league started 1992 writing "Man U have never finished below 3rd, and only three teams have beaten Man U to the title."