User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Wenger try and spend £16m+ again this summer?

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Wenger try and spend £16m+ again this summer?

Well, according to several reports Wenger matched the minimum release clause in Phil Jones' contract and had he been able to persuade Jones he may well have been ours.

I know I was taken by surprise at his willingness to spend such an amount on a largely untested teenager, but it shows he had ambition to go against his usual party line of "English talent is too expensive".
    If we did succeed I think Jones would've been one of our most expensive signings and to that end my questions is: Do you reckon we're likely to see Wenger spending such an amount again this summer? Does that show he's now prepared to spend more this close season?
    Or do you think it's a one-off and he'll revert to type (£12m max)?You know, "we identified, we tried but we couldn't sign the player"
    Formerly rockyrocky... the other one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Tuesdays View Post
    Well, according to several reports Wenger matched the minimum release clause in Phil Jones' contract and had he been able to persuade Jones he may well have been ours.

I know I was taken by surprise at his willingness to spend such an amount on a largely untested teenager, but it shows he had ambition to go against his usual party line of "English talent is too expensive".
    If we did succeed I think Jones would've been one of our most expensive signings and to that end my questions is: Do you reckon we're likely to see Wenger spending such an amount again this summer? Does that show he's now prepared to spend more this close season?
    Or do you think it's a one-off and he'll revert to type (£12m max)?You know, "we identified, we tried but we couldn't sign the player"
    I personally think Arsene saw Phil Jones as a special talent and was obviously prepared to pay BIG money to get him. According to reports we had bids rejected for him last summer.

It wasn't by mistake that Man U, US, Liverpool, City, Chelsea & Spuds were all after him, from what I've seen of him he's a special talent who can comfortably play at the back or in a Defensive Midfield role.

He's played a fair few games in PL now and has pretty much shone.

Will Arsene try & spend this amount again this summer? Not sure....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get your hopes up. We're always linked with players that end up going to another team. Baptista, Robinho, Inler, Melo, Alonso, Ribery, SWP....

So far this is no different to any other season. Linked with stars but we've bought an unproven 19 year old for an undisclosed fee.

If a bidding war story hits the papers then we won't be signing that player. I'm more interested in those stealth signing stories that say it's a done deal but we're waiting for confirmation from the clubs. How much we spend will be undisclosed as usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. We're always linked with players that end up going to another team. Baptista, Robinho, Inler, Melo, Alonso, Ribery, SWP....

So far this is no different to any other season. Linked with stars but we've bought an unproven 19 year old for an undisclosed fee.

If a bidding war story hits the papers then we won't be signing that player. I'm more interested in those stealth signing stories that say it's a done deal but we're waiting for confirmation from the clubs. How much we spend will be undisclosed as usual.
    This

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the actualy fuck is Phil Jones?!?!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Who the actualy fuck is Phil Jones?!?!!
    This.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will get a good education there and with Rio getting on a bit I'm sure he will be more use to them than us. I would have been a bit shocked if we spent that much on someone who will warm the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't see why not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.