User Tag List

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Thomas Vermaelen may leave" - Wenger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    We are being linked with Agger now, not totally sure an injury prone CB is the way to go. I am surprised we didn't go for Hangerland only because he was free and has PL experience to go with Chambers and that would be the four. Then we could have used the money to push the boat for the defensive midfielder. When TV leaves I cant see us signing a big name CB unless they were to become first choice as I think defensively it makes less sense to rotate as they need to build up an understanding with the keeper and each other something Kos and Mert have done well. Either bring in another young CB or a very experienced CB (Rio wouldn't have been the worst signing either)
    Society is now one polished horde
    Formed by two mighty tribes, the bores and the bored.

"After all, it was the Gunners’ goalkeeper who started the move that culminated in Thomas’ crowning glory. It was Lukic who, in injury time, decided to throw the ball out to Lee Dixon rather than lump it long..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Well we can't really rely on Vermaelen being there as third choice based on past history, so why keep him?

I have no problems with this transfer whatsoever although it is funny that Barca spend years and years delaying on signing a centreback and the one they opt for turns out to be Vermaelen.

Barca are making some strange signings, Luiz for a ridiculous amount (he has talent but he's not been that great and isn't worth the money they paid), Mathieu a 30 year old for 16 million and now it seems Vermaelen a guy who let's face it hasn't pulled out any trees and has been a bit of a liability at time.

They'd have been better off putting that money together and signing a top class centre half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Barca are making some strange signings, Luiz for a ridiculous amount (he has talent but he's not been that great and isn't worth the money they paid), Mathieu a 30 year old for 16 million and now it seems Vermaelen a guy who let's face it hasn't pulled out any trees and has been a bit of a liability at time.

They'd have been better off putting that money together and signing a top class centre half.
    Luiz went to PSG didn't he?
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Luiz went to PSG didn't he?
    My mistake, thought he went to Barca for some reason.

Point still stands though, the two defenders aren't exactly long term top class options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    We are being linked with Agger now, not totally sure an injury prone CB is the way to go. I am surprised we didn't go for Hangerland only because he was free and has PL experience to go with Chambers and that would be the four. Then we could have used the money to push the boat for the defensive midfielder. When TV leaves I cant see us signing a big name CB unless they were to become first choice as I think defensively it makes less sense to rotate as they need to build up an understanding with the keeper and each other something Kos and Mert have done well. Either bring in another young CB or a very experienced CB (Rio wouldn't have been the worst signing either)
    Agger is essentially Vermaelen MKII, a crock who has been on the slide for a few seasons.

I think Agger would be a bad move, our new number 3 needs to be someone reliable and someone who will really push our current CB's. Whoever we get is likely to play a fair few games.

We've been lucky with Kos and Merts, if either of them pick up a long term injury then we are up "shit creek" without a paddle right now.

CB and CM are two positions that need immediate attention IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should just keep Vermaelen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play him defensive mid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    We should just keep Vermaelen.
    Yeah I rather we kept him but it sounds like he definitely wants out. I am just glad we are not entertaining the idea of him going to United, rumour is we have refused to do business with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Yeah I rather we kept him but it sounds like he definitely wants out. I am just glad we are not entertaining the idea of him going to United, rumour is we have refused to do business with them.
    Damn right! That should be the official stance when it comes to selling our players.

I think we need to learn how to rotate our players or we'll keep crossing this road. But I hope we convince him to stay another season because I have a feeling Kos and Merts won't feature like they did last season. They've both had long seasons and we're lucky last year with injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd rather keep him as well then let him walk next year. Though it's good we have the opportunity to sell to Barca rather than United now.