User Tag List

Page 1121 of 1380 FirstFirst ... 12162110211071111111191120112111221123113111711221 ... LastLast
Results 11,201 to 11,210 of 13800

Thread: Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Iwobi really get jeered off on Saturday? Unreal if true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Did Iwobi really get jeered off on Saturday? Unreal if true.
    I’m not understanding the Iwobi hate.
    His end product was all over the shop on Saturday but I know he’s capable of better and his work rate is terrific

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel Iwobi could become a really good player with a bit of meticulous coaching, he's got a lot of natural ability but his brain turns to mush in the final third.

Look at how Pep has transformed Sterling, I think Iwobi has the potential for a similar transformation.

The frustration from the fans is probably more to do with the fact we're currently relying on Iwobi to be our main creative outlet when he's not shown any consistency to earn that role for himself. If Emery played Ozil a bit more then less would be expected from Iwobi but because Emery has decided he doesn't want anything to do with Ozil, that has dramatically reduced our attacking options from midfield. Even more so considering the reluctance to use Ramsey because of his impending departure.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 12-02-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I feel Iwobi could become a really good player with a bit of meticulous coaching, he's got a lot of natural ability but his brain turns to mush in the final third.

Look at how Pep has transformed Sterling, I think Iwobi has the potential for a similar transformation.

The frustration from the fans is probably more to do with the fact we're currently relying on Iwobi to be our main creative outlet when he's not shown any consistency to earn that role for himself. If Emery played Ozil a bit more then less would be expected from Iwobi but because Emery has decided he doesn't want anything to do with Ozil, that has dramatically reduced our attacking options from midfield. Even more so considering the reluctance to use Ramsey because of his impending departure.
    Think Sterling is a lot more direct and not sure Iwobi has as much pace as Sterling... so I don't think he will get to that level of Sterling. But he does work hard and teams need players who always give 100%. As you say he is being relied on to do a role he isn't ready for because Emery doesn't like Ozil and Ramsey is leaving.

we are now playing 2 strikers and are crying out for a creative attacking midfielder in behind. sort of thing ozil could do if he could be bothered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

Perhaps, but when Ozil doesn’t turn in a performance - which is often the case - he doesn’t get jeered off. Especially if he’s scored a goal and helped set up another. Iwobi has a lot to improve but to jeer him off is fucking retarded. There are bigger problems in the team than Iwobi - plus when you factor in he’s been at our club since he was a kid and fans single him out. We want our ‘own’ players to come through and develop and this is how they get treated along the way. Bellerin has gone through similar. Just plain dumb.
    Last edited by SMatthews; 12-02-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football fans are generally morons but I do find that we as Arsenal fans have almost conditioned ourselves into being cynical and untrusting, thanks to years of underachievement, failure and a lack of loyalty from our best players. That now infamous picture of the 5 British players signing their new contracts is an example of that.

I had a little chuckle at Ramsey's statement yesterday, he thanked the fans for being loyal and supportive.
    Yeah right, if he could say what he really wanted to he'd never be able to step foot in Islington again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true on both counts. Those frustrations are manifesting themselves not just with the players, but with the new manager too. They didn't just vanish when Wenger walked out the door. Could get even worse next season if Kroenke decides not to invest much into the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem for Iwobi is that he should really be a backup/squad player, he's still learning but he is almost 23 now so isn't a kid anymore, Emery has put him in the firing line by cutting our Ozil and to some extent Ramsey (cutting off your nose to spite your face) so it's no surprise people are frustrated when we performing poorly and his end product is non existent.

In truth though it's fine to have players like him in the squad but they just shouldn't be 1st teamers because they aren't quite up to the required standard, if Emery decides to put him in there then he has to take the blame if Iwobi gets some flack.

Comparisons with Sterling aren't relevant, just because Sterling made it it doesn't mean Iwobi will be as good, some players just have what it takes and others don't, it was the same with Welbeck (and many others) people said he was a world class striker in the making, he never became one because he wasn't good enough and didn't have the right attributes.

We've seen countless kids play at Arsenal over the years that have been touted as the next great hope, it never really pans out though because those players are few and far between, Iwobi is decent but I'm not conviced he's going to become a world beater, decent squad player if he can improve his end product though, but he needs to improve soon as he's getting closer to his mid 20s now.

I'm not going to feel too sorry for footballers though, they don't have a bad life all in all.
    Last edited by Özim; 12-02-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Perhaps, but when Ozil doesn’t turn in a performance - which is often the case - he doesn’t get jeered off. Especially if he’s scored a goal and helped set up another. Iwobi has a lot to improve but to jeer him off is fucking retarded. There are bigger problems in the team than Iwobi - plus when you factor in he’s been at our club since he was a kid and fans single him out. We want our ‘own’ players to come through and develop and this is how they get treated along the way. Bellerin has gone through similar. Just plain dumb.
    This

Am not sure Iwobi will make it here long-term but he does, particularly as an academy player, deserve some basic respect, he's doing his best and trying to be positive when Emery plays him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrighty and Dixon praising the Spuds tonight. How much worse can it get. FFS.