User Tag List

Page 219 of 1380 FirstFirst ... 1191692092172182192202212292693197191219 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 13800

Thread: Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The England international followed up his October victory with another in November after scoring three goals in six appearances.

Walcott broke the deadlock in the 2-2 draw at Schalke and rounded off the 5-2 win over Tottenham with a low finish from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's pass. But he saved his best for last with a first-minute opener at Everton, initiating the move with a fine run and applying the finish from Aaron Ramsey's assist.

Walcott now leads Arsenal's scoring charts with 10 in all competitions but his overall contribution was impressive in November with his pace and movement causing plenty of problems.

Olivier Giroud finished second in our official club poll with 23.6 per cent of the votes, a little under 12 per cent behind Walcott. The France striker scored four times in three games during November.

Santi Cazorla was third and his highlight of the month was surely his influential performance - and well-taken goal - in the north London derby win at Emirates Stadium.
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...r-of-the-month
    "I really like Arsenal. Do you really like Arsenal, or only Arsenal with trophies?" - Dennis Bergkamp.
    "Which Arsenal do they want back, the one Arsene created?" - Tony Adams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this explains tom fox's comments for those that just read headlines

Yes, I know, we should all expect this sort of thing from the tabloids, but the sad fact of the matter is that many people simply read headlines and don’t actually look to see what has been said and so misinformation spreads and becomes ‘fact’ in the public domain.

Yesterday the Sun reported that Tom Fox, Arsenal’s chief commercial officer, had implied that winning was NOT vital, in fact, the was their sub-head. What did he actually say? Well, this:

“Arsenal Football Club is not only about winning.

“We have a large and engaged fan-base around the world who want to feel as if they belong to the club, and want to feel proud to belong to the club. That’s my primary business.”

Of course, the Sun’s introductory sentence read

A TOP-RANKING Arsenal official has risked supporters’ fury by insisting that winning is not everything.

Arsenal football club is not only about winning said Fox. Where in that statement does it say that winning is not vital or important or everything? In fact, in case that wasn’t clear enough, Fox even added

Obviously nothing instills pride in our fan-base more than winning, but there’s many things we do that make our fans feel proud.

“Developing young talent and finding those players in the marketplace make our fans feel proud. Whether it’s Serge Gnabry, who is a 17-year-old player in our reserve squad, whether it’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, whether it’s Theo Walcott, we look at these young players and have faith in our manager to develop them as the players for the future.

“And the fans come to a stadium that the club built really at a time 10 years ago when the board decided to build that stadium. Everything was going our way, it was Manchester United and Arsenal. But we made a very bold decision and we built that stadium on time and on budget — that makes our fans very proud.

“When they see that we can attract — even though we haven’t won a trophy in seven years — one of the top global brands in the world for the type of money and financial commitment they’re making, that makes our fans feel proud. So our brand is defined by more than winning.

“Football can be a fairly mercenary commercial environment. Football clubs go into the market and they really do business with whoever wants to pay them the most money. By the time this current shirt deal expires with Emirates, they would have been on our shirt for 13 years. That says a lot about how we run the football club and what’s important to us as a football club.

“So it’s not just about finding the best commercial opportunity.

The entire point of his comments was about Arsenal fans having other things to be proud of in the club at a time when they are struggling to get results on the pitch. That even though the club is not winning fans can still feel proud of the club. In what world is this a bad thing? He wasn’t saying that winning wasn’t important or vital or the main aim of the club. He was talking about the changing (and changed) landscape of football these days and how if you don’t operate from a commercial point of view you suffer and knowing that your brand will be worth more when it is winning, why on earth would Arsenal think that winning is not important?

But, again, why let facts get in the way of a story eh? If they’d even done a quick Google search they’d have found Fox saying this to the Arsenal site

“We want to win and we want to continue to build a great organization around this great brand.”

That pretty much sums up what he was trying to say in this Sun piece before they decided to twist it all over the place. ‘Arsenal are not only about winning’ is not the same, as some people have tried to tell me this morning, as ‘Winning is not important’ in the same way that ‘Christmas is not only about presents’ is not the same statement as ‘Presents are not important.’ Or another example – ‘Owning a shop is not all about sales’ is not the same as ‘Sales are not important.’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    Have you actually read what he is saying?

He is so out of touch it is untrue.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoeLDG View Post

I'm not too sure how many of your average fan would agree with hardly anything written there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bendtner View Post
    Well, yeah. His job is to bring money in. There's no point getting annoyed about a quote from a yank bloke who has nothing more to do with on-pitch stuff.
    Good point, i guess.
    "I really like Arsenal. Do you really like Arsenal, or only Arsenal with trophies?" - Dennis Bergkamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoeLDG View Post

I don't think anyone rational would pretend he's an arsenal fan or truly gives a shit about the club. But it doesn't matter if the commercial officer is out of touch, his only job is to make money for the club. Not sure why he got wheeled out to preach anyway, it's usually a job for Gazidis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Bendtner View Post
    I don't think anyone rational would pretend he's an arsenal fan or truly gives a shit about the club. But it doesn't matter if the commercial officer is out of touch, his only job is to make money for the club. Not sure why he got wheeled out to preach anyway, it's usually a job for Gazidis.
    We thank you for your interest in who we wheeled out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's right.

I'm proud our manager is proud of everything his team does, it's this pride, spirit and togetherness that get's us through the tough times, but yeah it's not all about winning, it's more about losing these days to be honest.

I'm also proud Wenger is proud about our failed youth policy, it was a challenging project and I think we might have just pulled it off.

I'm also very proud of our brand new stadium, because I know that should I ever want to go, I'll have a nice comfy seat to watch the boring, repetitive, soul less football from and if I'm not skint enough after paying the highest ticket prices for the privilege then I can be safe in the knowledge that I can go and spend whatever's left at the Diamond club.

The important thing to remember through all this though is that if we believe in the quality of our game then everything will turn out well.

Pride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    I've read what he's said and he's totally out of touch. I know his role isn't a football one as such, but as an employee of Arsenal FC (emphasis on FC) he should at least realise that we are not simply a private sector enterprise, and there is more to Arsenal than profits and losses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen has insisted that, despite the club's recent poor run of form, all is calm at the North London club and there is no possibility of arguments brewing.

The Belgian has had to endure a difficult period as skipper, with Arsenal falling to 10th in the Premier League table, 15 points adrift of leaders Manchester United, after losing 2-0 to Swansea City at Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners then suffered back-to-back defeats after losing to Olympiakos in the Champions League, and such form has led to rumours of discontent at the club and suspicions of fallouts between players.

However, Vermaelen is adamant that the dressing room is still a happy place to be at Arsenal; an atmosphere in keeping with his own style as captain.

Speaking exclusively in the January 2013 issue of FourFourTwo, he says: "I'm totally not someone who will shout in the dressing room. I'm much more likely to go up to individuals and give them pieces of advice about what they might be doing in a game."

And Vermaelen explains that the stability of the club also helps to discourage such arguments.

"There is a consistency here as a result of the manager being here for so long. There is a clear vision that everyone understands and believes in. There are never any arguments here. I played at Ajax and we had five managers in five years. That is not good for the atmosphere."

He states that the calm environment at the North London outfit means he remains happy at the club, despite a lack of silverware and the decisions to sell Cesc Fabregas, Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri, Alex Song and Robin van Persie in recent years.In fact, he supports the Gunners' policy, claiming that the stability of the club, particularly financially, means that: "Arsenal is going to be a big club for years" and "has always been an attractive club to come and play for. That’s not going to change."
    http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/115325/default.aspx