User Tag List

Page 928 of 1380 FirstFirst ... 4288288789189269279289299309389781028 ... LastLast
Results 9,271 to 9,280 of 13800

Thread: Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Kroenke May have pushed for it but Wenger is a definite convert, this is why he comes out with that expected goals tripe
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ulista-signing

I don't think Wenger is all the way sold on Stat DNA. With all the duds we've signed, I don't think he knows what's doing or signing off on. He's always been a stat guy and he used to quote stats to Bergkamp to justify benching him. They used to get into huge arguments over it.

But the overall point is, Wenger earned his messiah status at Arsenal because of his ability to create teams from undervalued players that could play just as well or even better than the heavyweight spenders. We banked on building the Emirates because of this. It's his philosophy that attracted Stan to coming to London and buying shares in Arsenal. There was nobody else at the club that had the sort of knowledge Wenger had when it came to football.

This new appointment changes that. We now finally have someone that knows football with the record to prove it. If Stan is still pursuing this Moneyball philosophy and he's familiar with Sven Mislintat's record at Dortmund, I can't imagine him not holding him up as a new sort of 'Wenger' figure when it comes to transfers. If Wenger pushes back and we still look like shit when it comes to renewing his contract again, I can't see him wanting to keep Wenger. Considering he's on a two year deal and Wenger recently spoke about contract talks at the end of this season, I suspect we're gearing up for Wenger's transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieira View Post
    I've come to the realisation the old goat won't leave until he himself has had enough. How he survived last season I'll never know. He failed to meet his KPI, there was fan pressure and a few above him wanted him gone but he still managed to stay.

The fan pressure unfortunately has come too late, the years where we should have been doing something we were told to be quiet and that we weren't real fans.

I've been through stages where I've wanted us to lose and for the team to play shite in the hope that the old goat pisses off but he still signs contract after contract. What does that achieve? He'll still plow through and get his payrise. So we might as well try and enjoy the ride in the depressing process

My only hope is that it ends up being a commercial decision or gazidis does enough to convince Stan about the dinosaurs tactics & methods.

Regarding the former, 2 Europa league seasons in a row hopefully hits them commercially and makes the rest of the board smell the coffee to the point they think 'crap, we need a change'. But Wenger has about 15 lives so even that probably won't be enough.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41760850

I dunno. When have you ever heard of a contract review when he still has a year left on his contract? Why would they even offer him a 2 year deal instead of a 4 or 5 year deal?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post

I don't think Wenger is all the way sold on Stat DNA. With all the duds we've signed, I don't think he knows what's doing or signing off on. He's always been a stat guy and he used to quote stats to Bergkamp to justify benching him. They used to get into huge arguments over it.

But the overall point is, Wenger earned his messiah status at Arsenal because of his ability to create teams from undervalued players that could play just as well or even better than the heavyweight spenders. We banked on building the Emirates because of this. It's his philosophy that attracted Stan to coming to London and buying shares in Arsenal. There was nobody else at the club that had the sort of knowledge Wenger had when it came to football.

This new appointment changes that. We now finally have someone that knows football with the record to prove it. If Stan is still pursuing this Moneyball philosophy and he's familiar with Sven Mislintat's record at Dortmund, I can't imagine him not holding him up as a new sort of 'Wenger' figure when it comes to transfers. If Wenger pushes back and we still look like shit when it comes to renewing his contract again, I can't see him wanting to keep Wenger. Considering he's on a two year deal and Wenger recently spoke about contract talks at the end of this season, I suspect we're gearing up for Wenger's transition.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....ytics.amp.html

This suggests he’s far more of a convert albeit a reluctant one

Again I think a program like this is only as useful as the person and the data they want to extrapolate from it

This suggests that this is probably behind the seemingly lunatic insistence on not playing Lacazette for a whole 90 minutes

Again I think it’s good to have such a resource at our disposal, same with Dortmund’s former chief scout. But ultimately it might all be a waste of time as long as Wenger is here.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41760850

I dunno. When have you ever heard of a contract review when he still has a year left on his contract? Why would they even offer him a 2 year deal instead of a 4 or 5 year deal?
    I think the idea that their patience with him is inexhaustible is probably wide of the mark, although it can seem that way because of the AGM which was an exercise in full on Wenger defending.
    The two year extension is probably as much down to his age as anything. And no you’re right there haven’t been previous one year reviews before, but whether it’s a meaningful review or a tick box exercise geared as a way of saying to fans yes we understand your concerns and we will pretend to take them on board, Remain to be seen.
    Is it possible that if we lose Sanchez and Ozil and fall outside the top four Wenger might do the decent thing and walk away?. Yes but given what he did last summer it’s not a big one, I do think part of him would want to walk away but I think he’s driven by a fear of retirement and this belief that he can turn things around.
    Whether Gazidis wants to or is able to influence Kroenke more than he did last summer who knows, Kroenke wants minimum hassle and that means keeping Wenger unless the club is in relegation crisis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope you're right but I don't see it happening. You're forgetting that Stan is literally in love with Wenger. I remember reading an article where he says he loves Wenger for his drive, professionalism and work ethic. It sounds as if he's completely besotted with the guy. I even think he said Wenger was the reason why he invested in the first place.

I agree with Herbert on the 2 year extension, it's a compromise because of wengers age. Wenger himself admitted he questioned whether he wanted to carry on and the board know he's on his last legs, so the board probably see 2 years as more fitting.

The thing that interests me is that this appointment is clearly a strictly gazidis appointment. No way would Wenger have wanted someone in with that much knowledge, experience and respect in the game because he sees that as a threat. This guy as you say has a stellar reputation and Wenger doesnt like things like that as he views it as a threat to his control. Someone that matches him. IMO it shows that the choice is purely down to gazidis, which is a move away from the past where Wenger would have not only had a say, but pretty much made the final decision.

The idea of a power struggle is starting to grow in my mind and that provides light at the end of the tunnel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger apparently wants Van Bronckhorst to replace him as manager when he finally leaves

That would be the final nail in the coffin. Suggesting someone crap so he doesn't do better than you and we slide further down the table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieira View Post
    Wenger apparently wants Van Bronckhorst to replace him as manager when he finally leaves

That would be the final nail in the coffin. Suggesting someone crap so he doesn't do better than you and we slide further down the table
    Best thing to do when he quits would be to never let him have anything to do with the club ever again, you can't have him around he just wouldn't let a new manager get on with his work, he shouldn't have a say in the next manager and should have nothing at all to do with the football side.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Would Van Bronchitis be so terrible as long as we have a proper coaching team around him

My attitude is we don’t need a world class manager, we just need a young, innovative one. I know the Eredivise isn’t particularly the cream of European football, but he won the league with Feyenoord.

He wouldn’t be my number one choice, but I think he’d be worth shortlisting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be keen to get a motivator in, what we really seem to lack is belief and hunger, a manager who can motivate could work wonders. Not sure if GVB fits into that category or not to be honest, he's relatively unproven though.

The problem with Wenger having any kind of say over our next manager is that basically all he cares about is 5 yard passing football, we really want to move away from that though, because firstly it's boring and secondly it just hasn't worked for 10+ years.

What constitutes good football and what Wenger thinks good football is are two very different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it would take a world class manager to motivate and coach this squad into a well balanced team, some of the issues we have are so fundamental that most modern coaches would identify and nip them in the bud straight away. Ideally we'd want someone with a track record of success but then you're narrowing the pool significantly. The best managers in the game are all in top jobs, so the chances are we'd have to take a punt on someone young and innovative.

I don't know how good Gio is but it's that sort of profile of manager we'd need to at least look at.