User Tag List

Page 1264 of 1380 FirstFirst ... 26476411641214125412621263126412651266127413141364 ... LastLast
Results 12,631 to 12,640 of 13792

Thread: Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    The big question for me right now (and this is something that’s been discussed on a few podcasts this week) is how do the rest of us define success going forward?

And also how and where do the rest of us look for happiness and draw satisfaction from following our clubs?

Because in both cases it’s unlikely to come from seriously challenging for titles. Maybe once a decade one of the also-rans might put together a squad that might be able to put up a fight for a couple of years, but mostly it’s going to be City, Chelsea and now Newcastle, year after year after year.
    This is a very pertinent point. I have been saying for some time now that as Gooners we need to re-set our measure of what being a supporter means. If we can get into a mindset of enjoying individual games/wins, and the development of our team without this having to mean winning the league, then I think we will all be happier. it's not as though there is much alternative, is there? And this may in turn change our attitude towards our current manager/project.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I agree that this is a logical end point of what we are seeing in the EPL. If every club is owned by a billionaire there will be a certain levelling up. I think the problem is that even the billionaires will not be equal. If you are a Petro State buying good PR then any business case goes out of the window, and spending is essentially limitless. But our owner is a billionaire who is more interested in asset building than success, so some billionaires will not be prepared to match those prepared to spend the most. The result? If you are state owned or Abramovich then you will be top tier, because you don't care about the bottom line at all, and everyone else will be an also ran. Similar in a way to where we are now. The question in the long term is whether non top tier clubs will retain support - because part of being a supporter is the dream of success. With a growing divide, the league becomes totally uncompetetive and I can see a long slow death for the game as we know it now.

Funny how in the most capitalist country on earth the draft top sport tries to ensure that competition is kept alive, but in the EPL we are now beyond this. I see two long term results of this kind of unrestricted investment - (1) the top tier sides break off into a new incarnation of the ESL which at least preserves the illusion of competition (even though its a closed shop), or (2) we enter into a kind of WWF situation where football is regarded as pure entertainmet rather than true sporting endeavor.
    I doubt the competition will be on the pitch in the future. TV hype and hyperbole can cover that, the way they do now as they explain how average to boring games are barnstormers and how players who can barely kick a ball are wifeworld beaters.

No, the competition will be in marketing departments and targeted at TV audiences and global (non-domestic) "fan" bases. Gambling, merchandise sales, world tours and other gimmicks designed to bring the brand to the newly cherished audiences. I suspect the domestic fans will be entirely priced out as more corporate and hospitality facilities replace actual seats in the stadiums. Or maybe they'll bring back standing and cram the plebs into a corner section with strict instructions to chuck them out of anyone uses bad language.

Nothing in the modern game gives any hope of any outcome that would restore the game to the original purpose. If anything, tribalism, genuine competition and winners and losers are all seen as undesirable these days. Even Wenger is out there pushing for a World Cup every 15 minutes. Why? Because it's the pinnacle of hype, the prize goose. And for people with money (and nothing else) on their minds, more (for them) is always better and enough is never enough.

Mind you, the fans aren't blameless. They cheered all this on. Well, most of them.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    And say we somehow became so evil we could realistically compete. And we cheated our way to the top, like the chavs or the gypos or (to a lesser degree but let's not pretend) the scousers? Yay! We are the most evil club in the land. Let's have an open top parade. Let's tease spuds who are wannabe evil fucks but they just aren't evil enough. We are more evil than them. Suck it up, less evil losers! We are the most evil of all! Yay! The very definition of winning.
    It does kind of feel like we're already dead, doesn't it? Like those scenes in movies where someone gets shot, but they stagger on for a few moments before it registers. Feels like ur choices are either to find a sovereign wealth fund of our own to buy us titles, but in the process drive another nail in the coffin of the game we grew up following; or we make our peace with being irrelevant and never expecting to seriously challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Liverpool showed you can compete with City and Chelsea in an isolated season. Does football really take up much of my time, not really. i dont go to games anymore. if its on tv i will watch it but i dont necessarily watch or pay attention to the full 90 minutes.

i think it has got to the stage where you enjoy an isolated game like beating chelsea spurs instead of a real expectation to finish top 4.
    It's always possible - it's just going to become harder and harder, and less and less likely. With Chelsea and City there the rest of us are realistically competing for 2 spots at the top most years. When Newcastle get established it will be 1 spot. And if United ever decide to do more than just be a marketing exercise then that will be 0 spots.

What Liverpool have done is great, but it's largely because they haven't put a foot wrong in the transfer market in the last 3-5 years - will they be able to keep doing that forever? They're gonna have a rebuild coming up soon, and they're going to have to do it without Michael Edwards.

I'm also wondering how easy / hard it will be trying to recruit from abroad and get visas for players going forward? Any time the rest of us start to get anywhere will one of those super-rich clubs just Bayern Munich us and rip the heart out of the competition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    ...Does football really take up much of my time, not really. i dont go to games anymore. if its on tv i will watch it but i dont necessarily watch or pay attention to the full 90 minutes.

i think it has got to the stage where you enjoy an isolated game like beating chelsea spurs instead of a real expectation to finish top 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    it's that kind of thing that keeps most football fans going - we're privileged to even think about being in the top 6 tbh...
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    This is a very pertinent point. I have been saying for some time now that as Gooners we need to re-set our measure of what being a supporter means. If we can get into a mindset of enjoying individual games/wins, and the development of our team without this having to mean winning the league, then I think we will all be happier. it's not as though there is much alternative, is there? And this may in turn change our attitude towards our current manager/project.

I know everyone's thoroughly sick of the word by now, but my prediction is football will become more and more about following 'the process' for the rest of us. New success will be defined by who can best engage their fans and 'bring them along for the ride', so to speak. Who can explain their vision and then document it the best. Who has the most likeable personalities. Who has the best supporting network of bloggers, podcasters and content creators.

I reckon it will appeal to the next generation of fans anyway - most kids these days seem to follow players over clubs, and are more interested in social content than actual games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this film will be brilliant. Enough time has passed that pretty much all arsenal fans can truly appreciate how good the early 2000’s were. Doubtful we will ever see the likes again.

The clip of Fergie in the trailer saying that the unbeaten season will never be topped. I think thats probably true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that both Saliba and Guendouzi are making big impressions whilst on loan.

Arteta better make sure he brings them back! Remember Gnabry

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...g-b962368.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think Saliba is going to happen think Arteta has already said he's in his plan for next season (if he's still manager) Guendouzi if he improves his attitude we would a fools not to have him back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guendouzi is gone. The Gnabry situation isn't comparable.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.