User Tag List

Page 151 of 312 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 3116

Thread: Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Ozil, Sanchez, Walcott and Cazorla are all starting line up players. We'd be looking more so at Welbeck, Wilshere, Ramsey and Ox to fill gaps and those guys aren't that reliable in the big games either.

As said, we're not going to spend £20m on DM cover so just get over it. We need more fire power for the first team starters. If Arteta is starting game ahead of Coquelin, i'd see your point but if he's not, this is all a fuss about nothing.
    Just because you say something doesn't make it so, unfortunately like most seasons where we fail to strengthen our squad sufficiently to put on a laudable title challenge I will have to "get over it". But nothing you will say will convince me it's not reckless abandon to only have one capable defensive midfielder in the side, it's the point I'm making between quality and quantity. Arguably I think we should be signing a 30-40million DM who is better at being the focal point turning defence into attack than Coquelin and having him as the understudy, but hey I'm not the manager.
    There is nothing wrong with Arteta apart from the fact that he's not a defensive midfielder and hasn't the legs to sustain a title run in, in that position (five years ago possibly) and I'm much more concerned about that than welbeck or oxlade chamberlain having to step up to fill in.
    If you're saying to me that a striker is of great importance, you'll get no argument from me....I think going in with Giroud as essentially our only out and out striker is equally reckless, but I personally hold a defensive midfielder of equal importance....and the likelihood is that we will sign neither. As from Wengers own mouth he seems to feel that transfer activity from Arsenal is about recruiting a player he happens to like if he becomes availability rather than strengthening key positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm warming more to the idea of signing a wide forward like Reus or Draxler and giving Sanchez a go at CF. Wenger needs to be a bit creative if the players he wants aren't available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Just because you say something doesn't make it so, unfortunately like most seasons where we fail to strengthen our squad sufficiently to put on a laudable title challenge I will have to "get over it". But nothing you will say will convince me it's not reckless abandon to only have one capable defensive midfielder in the side, it's the point I'm making between quality and quantity. Arguably I think we should be signing a 30-40million DM who is better at being the focal point turning defence into attack than Coquelin and having him as the understudy, but hey I'm not the manager.
    There is nothing wrong with Arteta apart from the fact that he's not a defensive midfielder and hasn't the legs to sustain a title run in, in that position (five years ago possibly) and I'm much more concerned about that than welbeck or oxlade chamberlain having to step up to fill in.
    If you're saying to me that a striker is of great importance, you'll get no argument from me....I think going in with Giroud as essentially our only out and out striker is equally reckless, but I personally hold a defensive midfielder of equal importance....and the likelihood is that we will sign neither. As from Wengers own mouth he seems to feel that transfer activity from Arsenal is about recruiting a player he happens to like if he becomes availability rather than strengthening key positions.
    As long as Arteta isn't starting ahead of Coquelin, I'm fine because Coquelin was performing at a top level last season. One of the best DM's in the league. I'm ok with that. Far from an Arteta fan but I think our new team ethos on defending together should benefit him if called upon and he can play at a high level on occassions. I've criticised his performances often but believe his flaws are exposed further when playing with Wilshere and Ramsey.

Also, I forgot that Calum Chambers can possibly play as DM. Wenger may also go to the market looking for a CB that can also play as DM.
    We have that new kid in reserves we bought last season in January as well. We have options and we may fibd the quality there but until we bring in a quality forward, I just don't see any point in stressing over a position we already have a very good starter for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I don't completely buy the 'if somebody becomes available line'. I think you have to make players available by showing the colour of your money at times. Then suddenly unavailable becomes available.

As most know, I have no fundamental problem with Arteta but I also have no issue with having 2 top players in each 11 positions. Let the better of the two come to the fore.... There are players around the globe who could seriously push Coquelin and for less than 20 million.

I will accept whatever the manager's decision is on a central midfielder but I think we really need to be adding another devastating attacking player to the fold. Preferably a CF (as Walcott and Alexis are capable of 20 goals) but a wide forward capable of 20+ goals (from a wide position that is) would have a significant impact and take the pressure off Giroud/Welbeck.

This, especially the part I highlighted. NQ already touched on it in an earlier post, there are players available, we just need to be assertive in our pursuit. It saddens me that Wenger seems to have reverted to type, this laissez faire attitude will get us nowhere, there are areas of the team/squad that need upgrading, our team/squad isn't perfect, it's strong I'll accept that but there is room for improvement. Our rivals are all upgrading problem positions in their team/squad, why aren't we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All predictable stuff. Wenger said before not for us to expect massive signings this window and I knew we'd find out more once training started. I'm just hoping he sees the weak areas in the coming weeks. Giroud can't play as our main striker. We need a 30 goal machine to lead the way. It's the most obvious weak area at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does Wenger ever say anything about transfer dealings which reveals anything helpful?
    I honestly don't know why anyone is analysing anything he says and inferring anything from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm honestly not sure what I'd do, re: defensive midfielders this summer?

On the one hand, if our preferred formation and best XI includes a midfield destroyer, then it only makes sense to double-up on that type of player, and get some quality back-up / competition for them, for all the usual reasons.

On the other, there seems to be a growing opinion in the game that the role of the midfield destroyer is becoming a little redundant (certainly at the 'elite' level)? Quality holding midfielders and deep-lying play-makers are still valued highly, and, whilst you're always going to want players who are able to win the ball back when they have to, I kind of think that should be expected from every outfield player now? In general, the most successful of the top European sides seem increasingly unwilling to sacrifice a valuable place in the team for a purely destructive player - first and foremost, every player is expected to be comfortable in possession, and able to contribute confidently and positively with the ball. To that end, Coquelin himself could be viewed as the back-up option for a first-choice midfield that's built around players like Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky, etc? An emergency measure to turn to if we're getting overrun, or if we want to see a comfortable game out, but not necessarily an option that we need to use for 90 minutes of every game? If he's used more sparingly / tactically, then we may actually be alright with the options we have?

I think I'm happy to go either way on this? If we sign a top-quality defensive midfielder, then far out! If not, then I won't be unduly bothered if we focus on the attack* and defence.

(*One caveat - if the plan is to start using Ramsey, Wilshere et al. in those deeper midfield roles, and not invest in a new midfielder, then we really will need an extra man in attack, if only to cover for the loss of Ramsey.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    When does Wenger ever say anything about transfer dealings which reveals anything helpful?
    I honestly don't know why anyone is analysing anything he says and inferring anything from it.
    I don't know of any manager that reveals too much about transfer dealings. I agree its not worth trying to analyse Wengers comments but I think the issue is that unlike other managers he doesn't seem to have any plans going into a transfer window & this attitude of "lets see what come available" & "we will add if the right quality player is available" just seems clueless. Other managers end the season knowing the weaknesses & spend the summer trying to put those things right. We have strengthened the starting line up with Cech but it is obvious to all Arsenal fans that we need another quality CB,DM & striker, especially with our history of injuries. Just to take the DM situation, we have not bid for Schneiderlein, Vidal or Carvalho - all players seemingly available at affordable prices & would improve our starting 11. He says that the only reason other teams are paying lots of money for new players is because they are all worried about the teams around them - too bloody right Arsene, so should you be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    All predictable stuff. Wenger said before not for us to expect massive signings this window and I knew we'd find out more once training started. I'm just hoping he sees the weak areas in the coming weeks. Giroud can't play as our main striker. We need a 30 goal machine to lead the way. It's the most obvious weak area at the moment.
    Don't you think he's been there long enough & is paid well enough to already know our weak areas prior to pre-season training. You & I both now them & we're not paid £8 mill a year to address it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger's had the whole of last season to check out the squad, I don't understand what new things he's expecting to see now. He's seen most of these players day in day out in training for years so he should know enough about his players and their weaknesses. He's not fooling anyone though, he's so obviously trying to delay the pressure to buy for a few weeks.