User Tag List

Page 302 of 312 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 3116

Thread: Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's got a few things going for him but unfortunately it looks like he'll be chasing his first touch for the rest of his career.

Also: I like Welbeck. Even did in his Man Utd days. Great attitude and athletic ability. Doesn't make him a good footballer though.
    Last edited by Syn; 02-09-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    A manager who expects the bulk of goals to come from midfield rather than his forwards

Here's an idea, why not sign a player who can get you 25-30 goals up front, then any goals from midfield are a bonus, he needs his head checked with some of his theories, he's been obsessed with goals from midfield, goalscoring midfielders are few and far between and we don't really seem to have any, even when we did we had a top striker who would get loads of goals up front.

I can still remember when he first came out with this 1 striker formation where he expected the 5 midfielders to score the bulk of the goals, it never worked then and won't work now, it always made us look toothless and watching the midfielders miss chance after chance was painful, but then he's always been totally obsessed with midfielders (well ever since his winning teams, which it could be perceived achieved the trophy haul due to leadership on the field with minimal input from the sideless), he's been overloading us with midfielders for years now, hence the reason we stick central players out wide and barely have any natural wingers.
    I don't know where you have been for the past year, but he did do that. He signed this bloke called Alexis Sanchez, who scored 25 goals for us last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we can get 30 goals out of lazy, egotistical donkey like Adebayor, then we must be able to do something with Welbeck! I don't expect he'll ever be a super-sharp shooter, who can arrow the ball into any corner he likes at 100mph, but I do think there's something there that we can turn into something decent?

I really think he'd benefit from someone taking him to one side and telling him to simplify his shooting a bit, and concentrate more on using his momentum and timing to better effect. If we can get him doing things like arriving for crosses and cut-backs at the right time, rounding the keeper, getting unexpected / early shots off when the keeper's not ready, or has shifted his weight the wrong way, then most of the time he'll probably be able to get away with almost passing the ball into the net? Henry was another level entirely, but how many bread-and-butter goals did he used to get like that?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 02-09-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think even that relies on natural ability to a certain extent. he doesn't have that strikers instinct. He can do a decent job but no better than Giroud, which doesn't help us. He is probably best on either flank where his workrate can be useful. That period where Giroud was injured, we got a fair few goals through Welbeck and Sanchez nicking the ball off the opposition in their own half. It's not quite the same as having a top class forward though.

Our best bet is sticking Sanchez upfront. He can get 30+ goals and contribute to the team in the way that others like Walcott can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I like welbeck, he has the right attitude and can score important goals like the United cup one. He does need to be more clinical but I think that can be taught. He is more dynamic than Giroud and will harass defenders and with him and Sanchez doing that it would put the opposition under pressure straight away. I do think Welbeck could get 20 goals a season fitness permitting too. I think Wenger said he will be back in training after the international break.
    I really don't know. He struggles to get 10 goals a season and that Utd goal was a gift. He had 9 back to back games in the league as striker and could only manage 2 goals. One against Villa and the other against Hull City. In that 9 game run we played our main rivals, City, Chelsea, Utd, Spurs and he didn't score or get an assist in any of them. We didn't win any either. Lost against Chelsea and Utd, drew against Spurs and City. We even lost against Swansea and drew against Hull City. He got the goal equalizer against Hull at least.

Champs League he made 4 appearances. 3 goals against Galatasaray but nothing against Dortmund or both Anderlecht ties. From September to late November he was our main striker. Something like 14 back to back games in all comps. 5 goals and 2 assists. He got recalled again as striker and FA Cup was gifted a goal from Utd but he was having a poor game if we're being honest. Had another chance in the semi's against Reading and it went to extra time without a goal from him. I'm not convinced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    I think even that relies on natural ability to a certain extent. he doesn't have that strikers instinct. He can do a decent job but no better than Giroud, which doesn't help us. He is probably best on either flank where his workrate can be useful. That period where Giroud was injured, we got a fair few goals through Welbeck and Sanchez nicking the ball off the opposition in their own half. It's not quite the same as having a top class forward though.

Our best bet is sticking Sanchez upfront. He can get 30+ goals and contribute to the team in the way that others like Walcott can't.
    Tbh I think Wenger bought Sanchez with him being our "Suarez" in mind. His first couple of games after joining were with him up top pre-season but without success. When we played him deeper, we saw not only his ability to drive at defenses but also his work-rate in winning the ball back. Personally, I'd like to see it given a try but I would want Ox & Theo playing wide, driving at defenses, getting in behind the full backs. Either this or Sanch & Ox playing wide of Welbeck in the hope that this somehow clicks. Just think its crazy that we have to worry about trying to find a striker when we are supposedly one of Europe's top clubs & our manager has been her forever. The striker situation should have been dealt with when RVP left. He was world class, we needed to replace with world class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is something there with Welbeck, he has the tools but not the finesse. My problem is who is going to teach him to be a dead eye assassin. Boro Primorac?. Who has made great strides in quality amongst our front players in a decade. Only RVP and he had been marked for greatness early on. Given how poorly Walcott has progressed over the years i have scant hope that Welbeck will get there. Chuba Akpom seems ahead of him at the same age. I hope he stays on loan for a few more seasons at other clubs, rather than coming back to stagnate in our unfit for purpose training regime.
    Now if we could get Bergkamp, Henry or Wright to come and work with the strikers then maybe. But not likely with Wenger in charge of all things Arsenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love to see Henry back at the club but Wenger would not want a big personality alongside him who may open his mouth in relation to the continuous mistakes Wenger makes. Much better to have Bouldy who I think is now a mute coz i never see him speak.
    Can you imagine the confidence our guys would get with sessions from Henry - for the likes of Akpon it would be superb. Henry will know the best coaches in the game, coaching a style of play to suit us going forward which needs to be updated on Wengers system that very team knows how to play against. The rest of it is down to picking the team, motivating the players, working on tactical stuff & buying the best players to fit into the system. People on here will say Henry would be a risk as manager - I disagree. He has played football at the highest level & won all of the top club honours far more recently than when Wenger was having success. We need a modern approach, not another dinosaur that used to win things years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dein-machine View Post
    Love to see Henry back at the club but Wenger would not want a big personality alongside him who may open his mouth in relation to the continuous mistakes Wenger makes. Much better to have Bouldy who I think is now a mute coz i never see him speak.
    Can you imagine the confidence our guys would get with sessions from Henry - for the likes of Akpon it would be superb. Henry will know the best coaches in the game, coaching a style of play to suit us going forward which needs to be updated on Wengers system that very team knows how to play against. The rest of it is down to picking the team, motivating the players, working on tactical stuff & buying the best players to fit into the system. People on here will say Henry would be a risk as manager - I disagree. He has played football at the highest level & won all of the top club honours far more recently than when Wenger was having success. We need a modern approach, not another dinosaur that used to win things years ago.
    Henry is currently working at the club, doing work to get his badges. Think he is mainly working with the youth sides, or at least that is what i read, but he is at the training ground working with the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top players don't necessarily make good coaches. Many examples but take Tony Adams. Henry seems like bit of an idiot, unfortunately. Talks a ridiculous amount of shit. Understandable, it came very naturally to him but he's not going to be someone who can teach limited players like Welbz to get to their best.

If we're going ex-players, the one who usually talks intelligently about the game is Keown. Important to have some extra perspective that the Sky clowns don't have and he is a lot more insightful. Would like to see him take on management/coaching elsewhere first.