User Tag List

Page 36 of 312 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not convinced Klopp is any better than Wenger.

The squad he has had is probably the best group of players Dortmund have ever had. For all the stick people are giving Wenger (for all manner of things), if he had only bought the signings he made in January, namely, Gabriel, last summer the conversation might be totally different by now.

This summer there is no glaring gap in the squad necessarily so it is an interesting time at the club for that alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post

The squad he has had is probably the best group of players Dortmund have ever had. For all the stick people are giving Wenger (for all manner of things), if he had only bought the signings he made in January, namely, Gabriel, last summer the conversation might be totally different by now.

This summer there is no glaring gap in the squad necessarily so it is an interesting time at the club for that alone.
    This kind of statement is highly infuriating. Do you know that Dortmund have won the CL in 1997?. How can this team be their best ever?.

So this team we have now is complete. With 1 slow defender, who needs replacing. 2 inadequate DM who Wenger might be tempted to hold on to out of foolish sentiment. Our best striker Giroud is only second tier quality at best. If we keep this squad w/o the needed reinforcements when all around us are improving. Then another 4th place (at best) is our only hope next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Infuriating hey? It was Rafael Honingstein who first put the idea (at least to me) forward that it was their best ever squad. I know Emirates gooner and a few others respect his view and it is easy to understand why when you listen to him speaking about football and being a German football expert. I tended to agree with his view that it is the best squad of players they've had, but I'll openly admit to not being familiar with every gone by year in their history. I'm not sure why you find the view infuriating. It is at least debatable.

I also and simply said there is no glaring gap in the squad so why you even begun to mention/intimate this that and the other needs ridding of is anyone's guess? Nor does my very reasonable statement mean I don't want the squad to be improved. That would be an alarming assertion.

A pertinent question would be whether those who've particularly impressed this season, namely, Alexis, Nacho, Coq and YES, Giroud, can be expected to continue impressing or not. That would give us an idea about just what shape we will be in to challenge for the title next season.

like a new signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bbc football gossip hasn't linked us to anyone for a while. who do people think we'll get? (other than 3 or 4 ACMs)

I think we need cech, a cb and a centre forward otherwise we look pretty solid.

also some bionic limbs for walcott and wilshere wouldn't go amiss.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on the whole criticism Theo and Jack get for being injured..... Chamberlain the kid people are using as some sort of reason to push Theo out the club has basically not played in ages due to injury. Very few have even mentioned it since he got injured.

I get that we are pretty tired of seeing the injuries to those two above but if we're being honest it's not just the pair of them it's happening to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we keep the squad together we have good depth to take into next season. We haven't had this depth in a decade. It's great to be able to call on the likes of Walcott and Wilshere if we need them, previously when these two were injured it left a quality gap in the team. Now they can't get on the pitch. This is the ideal place to be. We'll get more injuries, form will come and go, Theo and Jack will get their chance then it's up to them to take it and force the manager to sit somebody else on the bench. Add to it by all means but don't fuck it up by taking anything away.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    If we keep the squad together we have good depth to take into next season. We haven't had this depth in a decade. It's great to be able to call on the likes of Walcott and Wilshere if we need them, previously when these two were injured it left a quality gap in the team. Now they can't get on the pitch. This is the ideal place to be. We'll get more injuries, form will come and go, Theo and Jack will get their chance then it's up to them to take it and force the manager to sit somebody else on the bench. Add to it by all means but don't fuck it up by taking anything away.
    It is hard to say for Jack, with Ramsey as his direct competitor for the 2nd CM. One of them has to be on the bench, you can bet neither of them will tolerate that. I don't want to see us playing with any of them as our no 10 or as a wide striker. They are not good at it. Same goes with Theo, if Chamberlain is fit, I will definitely prefer Chamberlain on a starting lineup. Would he tolerate it? Would the manager justify £100k player sitting on the bench week in and week out. It didn't work with Wiltord, it didn't work with Podolski, don't think it will work with Jack and Theo.
    somebody put something in my milk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The alternative (which we have tried) is a lightweight squad patched with youngsters from the reserves when necessary. It didn't work. If we are a big club with big ambitions a quality squad with depth is essential. All of the players must be prepared to sit on the bench, that's part and parcel of challenging on all fronts. Of course Wenger's idea of squad rotation is to change all 11 for the cup and then flog the first team to death for everything else. I mean proper squad rotation. As for the wages, that's just a sad reality of the game today. £100K has become the starting basic for even average players, provided their agent has set the hype levels correctly. Watching the games this weekend demonstrated such a lack of basic technique in so many PL players, it's a scandal they get paid these ludicrous amounts. But that's how it is now we have chavs and gypos doping up the sport. If we don't want to go along with it then we also have to accept second tier status.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    The alternative (which we have tried) is a lightweight squad patched with youngsters from the reserves when necessary. It didn't work. If we are a big club with big ambitions a quality squad with depth is essential. All of the players must be prepared to sit on the bench, that's part and parcel of challenging on all fronts. Of course Wenger's idea of squad rotation is to change all 11 for the cup and then flog the first team to death for everything else. I mean proper squad rotation. As for the wages, that's just a sad reality of the game today. £100K has become the starting basic for even average players, provided their agent has set the hype levels correctly. Watching the games this weekend demonstrated such a lack of basic technique in so many PL players, it's a scandal they get paid these ludicrous amounts. But that's how it is now we have chavs and gypos doping up the sport. If we don't want to go along with it then we also have to accept second tier status.
    One way around this is to start winning more trophies, Man U during Fergie days didn't have too many highly paid players. But the players know if they stay, they have more chance to win medals (justifying less time on the pitch and lower wages).
    somebody put something in my milk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post

Surely Klopp deserves credit for assembling that group of players though? He built that team almost from scratch, and he spent peanuts to bring in some of his best players in Lewandowski, Hummels and Gundogan. The difference here is that when Klopp identifies a weakness in his squad he goes and strengthens there, whereas Wenger fails to even see glaringly obvious weaknesses. How long has he neglected the DM position, and only filled it by pure luck.

It's true that now Wenger has (finally) built a strong squad with no obvious weaknesses, but I'm still not confident that we'll win or even mount a realistic challenge for one of the big trophies next year. He's too inflexible with his tactics and he can't motivate his players.

I'm not sure what's happened to Klopp this season, but I can see his style of football flourishing in the Premier League and I'd hate to see him go to one of our rivals.