User Tag List

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This Weekend's Fixtures & Two Others (25/26/28/29 April).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. Elsewhere I said I didn't see this season as progress compared with last year - I didn't use the word progress above. There are signs we're building up a head of steam though. Over a longer period we seem to be heading in the right direction. We're signing better players, we've won a major trophy and have a decent chance of retaining it, we've won a some big games this year in situations when in other years we've failed.
    The Chelsea game would reinforce that but it is a one off game, it's not the be all and end all. If we win the cup and finish top 4 then it is a repetition of last season, agreed. Arguably a marginal improvement if we finish 2nd.
    For years we've been moaning that the club regard 4th place as a trophy and don't win any, it seems churlish to then pooh-pooh two major trophies in two years, especially as we've continued to stay in the top 4 while winning them.

The PL is the big prize, obviously. We need to seriously compete for that next year. A win against the Chavs would put a little psychological marker down but so did the City and Utd games. I thought winning the Cup would give us some momentum, but it didn't. I'm not sure you can be so confident that a win against Chelsea would, especially when they're clearly going to win the title anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you hold two competing views then. Which is fine and actually a very good debating tactic.

Nobody is pooh-poohing what has been achieved so far. But progress and success must be sustained. If you aren't going forwards you are standing still or going backwards (or fucking sideways worst case). We've beaten the gypos, we went to Old Trafford and won. Good stuff. Now, on our own pitch, it's time to beat the chavs. We don't want to take a step backwards at this point. We don't want to lose momentum. Let's not downplay the importance or significance of this game before it even kicks off. Let's make no room for excuses. This is a must win for all the reasons I already gave. This is professional sport at the highest level. There's no second best, no consolation prize. If we've really progressed this season and now have the squad and the ambition and most importantly a manager who can put a team on the pitch with the tactics to win let's see that in action on Sunday. Add our prior wins of note to a win on Sunday, power through to the finish line and top it off with a win on 30th May - now we're talking. That's what winners do. Will bode well for next season.

Wenger will fuck this though. Top 4 and the FA Cup will be good enough for him. In fact top 4 and a reasonable excuse about how we were unlucky in the cup final will be good enough. I hope I'm wrong of course but watching Wenger in action over the last few games has been depressing, even though the players themselves have done well. Despite him.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Well you hold two competing views then. Which is fine and actually a very good debating tactic.
    No. This really isn't complicated. If we win the Cup and finish 2nd then that is, perhaps, a little progress from last season. If we win the Cup and finish 4th then that's none at all although some of the results this year, particularly those away games in Manchester, are encouraging. But over a longer period we seem to be heading in the right direction. The financial shackles are off, the level of players we're signing are at a different level to those we were signing, we're not losing our top players every summer (well, we haven't been, let's see what happens this summer) and we're finally winning trophies.
    If we win the Cup then the stadium will be marked with another trophy around the perimeter of Club Level. That's what the history books will show. If we don't but we beat Chelsea there will be no asterisk in the league table to say (* - yeah, but they did finally beat a Mourinho side).
    I do see the psychological value in winning that game, obviously. I'd love it, just love it, if we beat them. #Keegan
    I'm just not sure how much effect, if any, it will have on next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see we can't possibly agree. Your definition of winning is at the opposite end of the spectrum to mine. Doesn't matter, everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    Für eure Sicherheit

like a new signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people will remember us moving to the emirates but it is trophies that make the playing side memorable but nearly moments and on that basis the last ten years will be forgotten, like this year when we don't win the league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't forgotten last year's Cup Final, I won't forget this year's either if we retain it.
    I don't think a boring 1-1 vs Chelsea will be that memorable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kyle walker is trending on twitter, for filming the family pet with his gf

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    kyle walker is trending on twitter, for filming the family pet with his gf
    "You're wrong you are girl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coutinho Is Boss, I guess View Post

"Call me dave" is so in touch with the everyday common man.