User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who did you/will you vote for?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservatives

5 23.81%
  • Labour

11 52.38%
  • Liberal Democrats

1 4.76%
  • Green

1 4.76%
  • UKIP

1 4.76%
  • SNP

0 0%
  • None of the above...

2 9.52%
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: GW Exit Poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    #patronising.

I didn't 'trot out' to vote for any party really, I voted for a bloke locally who I know a bit and think is a decent chap.
    And in my area he'd have won regardless with our ridiculous FPTP system.
    Oh shut up, I'm just taking the piss.

I don't lie awake thinking, why did he do it, why did he vote for them?

Well maybe I do, a bit. But by the time the next election comes around I'll have forgotten all about it.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And FPTP isn't as ridiculous as PR. All PR does is diminish the representation of local communities in favour of centralised government. Who gives a fuck about the latter? Fuck them. It's what happens at the local level that counts and how pissed would you be if your constituency voted overwhelmingly for Tosser A only to end up with Tosser B being parachuted in?

The real problem is the influence of central government and the fondness the political parties have for whipping their members (and other assorted rent boys). The fact your MP will meet and sit with local residents and listen to their concerns and then fuck off to a palace in Westminster and vote the opposite way, that's the real cost of FPTP.

If we want reform then we should start with an effective recall system. If Tosser A misrepresents his local constituency enough times he should be automatically booted.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The system should be more proportional one way or another.
    But AV would have been a step in the right direction and the electorate rejected it so I guess we have no right to moan (well, I do, 'cos I voted for it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The system should be more proportional one way or another.
    But AV would have been a step in the right direction and the electorate rejected it so I guess we have no right to moan (well, I do, 'cos I voted for it).
    Why should it be more proportional? What does that actually get you?

There's a rising sentiment in Scotland against English politics, reflected in the SNP sweeping the board and properly represented by FPTP. There's a lesser rise in anti-European, anti-immigrant views less strongly represented by UKIP who ultimately failed to convince all bar one constituency. Why should we have a convoluted system where a less supported movement ends up with broader representation at the centre in direct contradiction of what is desired at the local level?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I should have to justify why a government should be representative in a roughly proportional way of the view of the people it's supposed to represent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I should have to justify why a government should be representative in a roughly proportional way of the view of the people it's supposed to represent.
    You don't need to, I already did it. I think you are confusing the entire population and a local constituency. It's the difference between government by statistical analysis and government by representation. Well, sort of, because there's no representation in reality but theoretically you could achieve it via FPTP whereas you couldn't with PR (except by chance).
    Für eure Sicherheit

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they're planning on a free vote on the issue.
    And I seriously doubt it's top of their agenda.

What in this do you violently disagree with?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32683869
    A free vote? That makes it ok then. Quit apologising for them.

Should the Tories introduce a free vote on reintroducing slavery or committing genocide against the people of Scotland? No, because we know they're morally reprehensible things - it's no different here.

As H_C_Z points out fox hunting (not pest control Ollie) is nothing but cruel animal torture just so some rich traditionalist country hicks can get their jollies on. It's abhorrent and I would have hoped that in the 21st century we would have progressed as a society to realise that. Unfortunately some people are stuck in the past and those people usually support Tory.

Disappointed in NQ for supporting it tbh. Don't get your logic either: just because liberals can't stop every form of animal cruelty & human suffering that goes on they shouldn't at least try to stop some, especially if it's a major one that's sanctioned by the government?

And unlike Paddy Ashdown, I'll actually eat my hat if they accomplish half of those.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    And FPTP isn't as ridiculous as PR. All PR does is diminish the representation of local communities in favour of centralised government.
    Ah there we are in complete agreement
    PR totally unworkable unless you Federalise the UK by devolving much more power to the regions, similar to Germany

I voted for AV, because I think FPTP needs tweaking, rather than having to vote tactically people vote for the candidate they want and then have the option to rank their preference of the least worst. Guarantees that every MP receives at least 50% of the support of their constituents whilst still making said MP a representative of a local area rather than just the foot soldiers of the government.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    A free vote? That makes it ok then. Quit apologising for them.

Should the Tories introduce a free vote on reintroducing slavery or committing genocide against the people of Scotland? No, because we know they're morally reprehensible things - it's no different here.

As H_C_Z points out fox hunting (not pest control Ollie) is nothing but cruel animal torture just so some rich traditionalist country hicks can get their jollies on. It's abhorrent and I would have hoped that in the 21st century we would have progressed as a society to realise that. Unfortunately some people are stuck in the past and those people usually support Tory.

Disappointed in NQ for supporting it tbh. Don't get your logic either: just because liberals can't stop every form of animal cruelty & human suffering that goes on they shouldn't at least try to stop some, especially if it's a major one that's sanctioned by the government?

And unlike Paddy Ashdown, I'll actually eat my hat if they accomplish half of those.
    Don't necessarily think he does support it, just doesn't think it's the part of the legal remit to decide on an issue of conscience. I don't agree with him, but that's his viewpoint (or at least I believe it is)