User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Match Reaction vs Man Utd (home).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    But it's odd when an Arsenal fan concludes we won it because the gods were smiling down.
    Ah. Just noticed that. Yep, that pretty much proves you haven't actually read or bothered to understand what I wrote.
    Keep on building those straw men, it's so much easier to argue against that what I actually say, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Well Theodore did say they had a special nice chat with cups of tea, crumpets and rich tea biscuits whilst they discussed how much they all wanted to win the game.

But in light of a little of what Letters sounds like he is saying.....the passing was so incisive and accurate that you can easily imagine a slight off day when one ball in a mazy 12 pass ping pong set play is slightly off or over hit, resulting in fewer goals and us relying on, or ruing the chance Ramsey gloriously missed.

Though it is worth mentioning that on days when it doesn't come off the effort can bridge the gap......as we have seen Sanchez be a perfect example of himself before his recent glut of goals.
    Yes, Theo did say that and I’ll come back to that point. But is it as simple as saying that things just went our way on the day? I can understand the point being made about not doing anything radical with our tactics, selection and so forth, but we have a history of losing these big games in the league or not showing up. So what was so different about that game and why did it all click? If we conclude the manager didn’t do anything special at all and the incentive came from the players and that spirit came from the players rallying before the game, again that doesn’t bode well for the manager. It goes back to that argument about being too passive when the team need a jump start. Where is the leadership coming from in these crunch games if it’s not coming from the manager? If we’re preparing for every single game in the exact same way, it shows why have often lost these crunch games and why we these sort of results against the big teams happen once in a blue moon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...redits-6592096

"I think, sometimes, you see this generation of players, they’re actually scared to go up to coaches and ask something.
    “Going back to the question about when it clicked about going up front, that was one of the things Arsene wanted me to do – to be more aggressive on the pitch.

"And maybe he’s sensed that I’ve had more aggression.

“I actually said, ‘Do you want me to get stuck into people?’ That was my reaction. He said, ‘No, I’m not saying that’. He wanted me to be more aggressive, in terms of running at players, closing them down, tracking back, being there and in their faces.
    This one is interesting. It’s funny hearing players are scared to ask other players and the manager for advice on how to improve their game. That one is odd. How can they develop if they don’t have that one on one?

Also, we have Theo specifically talking about being more aggressive and we definitely saw that on Sunday. Was there a meeting before the game with Wenger? I don’t know. But it looked as though Theo was more aggressive on Sunday and it didn’t go unnoticed by the fans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Where is the leadership coming from in these crunch games if it’s not coming from the manager?
    Historically I'd say it's come from the players, especially in the era when we had captains like Adams and Vieira. It's something we've been sadly lacking of late.
    I don't think Wenger's ever been a great motivator or tactician, his biggest successes have come through good players and strong captains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't think Wenger's ever been a great motivator or tactician, his biggest successes have come through good players and strong captains.
    Weirdly he dont put much stock in a captain, he said in the past about everyone being `leaders on the pitch`. IMO the wrong way to things, I dont think you can underestimate what a player like PV4 or a Roy Keane can briing on the field. Its fine being a world class player, but in life there are always some that will do the bare minimum, and others that will kick on. Sometimes you need a player with real passion to win and drag a team on. I wouldnt say we have many players like that, personally I think Alexis would be that guy. Not only is his passion visible, but he has the minerals to back it up, he is a winner, he could win a game on his own.