User Tag List

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction vs Man Utd (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do you really think Wenger did anything significantly different on Sunday?
    You're not making a good case for Wenger going down that road.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand that reply. It doesn't answer the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really understand that reply. It doesn't answer the question.
    What are you arguing Letters? Make your point because the question is irrelevant and I'll take it from there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really arguing anything.

I'm just wondering why after 19 years Wenger would just suddenly do something radically different. In fact he's usually pilloried on here for being stubborn and refusing to do things differently. I didn't see the whole game on Sunday annoyingly so I don't know but given that we blitzed them from the start we didn't win because of some tactical substitution master-stroke, we just had one of those games where everything clicks.

So I'm just asking if people think Wenger really did something different or if it was just a good day at the office. If he did do something different, what was it and what makes people think he did something different (result aside).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just wondering why after 19 years Wenger would just suddenly do something radically different. In fact he's usually pilloried on here for being stubborn and refusing to do things differently. I didn't see the whole game on Sunday annoyingly so I don't know but given that we blitzed them from the start we didn't win because of some tactical substitution master-stroke, we just had one of those games where everything clicks.

So I'm just asking if people think Wenger really did something different or if it was just a good day at the office. If he did do something different, what was it and what makes people think he did something different (result aside).
    That's your first problem.

Second, if you're saying the players geed themselves up for the game without much input from the manager, nothing more than usual at least, that doesn't bode well for Wenger. It sounds like you're unintentionally taking credit away from the manager when most of us on here are saying he played his part and was an influence. If you're saying he hasn't done any that different and this is the first time in ages we've beaten Utd in the league...what does that really say about Wenger? Do we really need him as manager if the incentive is coming from the players? Rethink where you're going with this. The other day you had a jab at posters that said we get these good results in spite of Wenger. You're not a million miles away from saying the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Whilst it would be wonderful if we could blow teams away like that week in week out, we won't be quite as lucky with the space we were afforded on Sunday, every week. Leicester also showed they were happy to come out against us rather than sitting, and also got punished. Any manager worth their salt will be looking to sit against us from now on, rather than let us play through the inside channels on the counter attack.

Unfortunately, many of our matches will find us playing with 10 men in front of us, and limited space. This will entirely change the questions asked of us. What we need to know, is does this team have it in them to break teams down week in week out? It's an entirely different game when we end up passing sideways across the pitch....which is why a fit and form Giroud is crucial if we want to push on.....
    A bit late replying to this as I was a bit busy yesterday at work. I agree, Sunday was something to cherish especially given the opposition and whilst it has raised the bar in terms of expectations for the team I am not naive enough to believe this is how it will be going forwards.

What impressed me more than anything about Sunday was the focus and application every single one of our players put in to the game. This should be the standard for every game regardless of who the opposition are. It is kind of a worry that this team seems to have some "mental" issues when it comes to preparing for and facing teams who are seen as lesser sides. Mentality isn't the only thing that will prevent us from losing some of the games we shouldn't be losing but it goes a long way towards giving you a better chance.

As it stands I still don't believe we will win the league but...having seen what the team are capable of it does bode well if we keep apace with the leaders and maintain some kind of consistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't be more wrong. It was about preparation, application and effort and you could see it all over the pitch and on the sidelines.

1. Theo tearing around the place like a lunatic, slide tackling to win the ball back in the middle and then immediately haring up the pitch to get into the box.
    2. Ramsey sticking rigidly to his assigned role.
    3. Cazorla balancing his offensive duties with defence, so Coquelin was always comfortable.
    4. Ozil pushed up and central and orchestrating the performance.
    5. Alexis and Bellerin playing gloriously direct football at a blur.
    6. The players focused from the first whistle and paying strict attention to the passing and positional play.
    7. Wenger barking his orders from the side and making changes that reflected the changes made by the opposition (although I was a bit pissed we didn't go for the jugular and really rack up a scoreline)
    8. Cech full of authority at the back.
    And so on.

Nothing to do with clicking or getting the run of the ball. It was proper preparation and execution at the level you would expect from professionals players at a big club like Arsenal.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Couldn't be more wrong. It was about preparation, application and effort and you could see it all over the pitch and on the sidelines.

1. Theo tearing around the place like a lunatic, slide tackling to win the ball back in the middle and then immediately haring up the pitch to get into the box.
    2. Ramsey sticking rigidly to his assigned role.
    3. Cazorla balancing his offensive duties with defence, so Coquelin was always comfortable.
    4. Ozil pushed up and central and orchestrating the performance.
    5. Alexis and Bellerin playing gloriously direct football at a blur.
    6. The players focused from the first whistle and paying strict attention to the passing and positional play.
    7. Wenger barking his orders from the side and making changes that reflected the changes made by the opposition (although I was a bit pissed we didn't go for the jugular and really rack up a scoreline)
    8. Cech full of authority at the back.
    And so on.

Nothing to do with clicking or getting the run of the ball. It was proper preparation and execution at the level you would expect from professionals players at a big club like Arsenal.

totally agree with this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're suggesting that we in some way prepared for this game differently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're suggesting that we in some way prepared for this game differently?
    There's not even a shadow of a doubt about it.
    Für eure Sicherheit