• Undecided

6 19.35%
Page 4 of 163 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: EU Referendum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds a little bitter from the Mash. Their humour has deserted them.

I think it's clever to roll Johnson out this way. It will make a lot of people think there is legitimacy to the whole process. After all, many feel Johnson would make a good PM. Think about it. Trump and Johnson in grave discussions at Camp David. But I'm the mad guy.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    It always makes me laugh when people trot out the old line of 'no vote = no right to an opinion.'
    I didn't say you can't have an opinion if you didn't vote, I said you don't have much right to complain about the outcome.
    That argument works less well in an election where FPTP means most people won't be represented.
    But in a referendum it's a straight choice between this path and the other. I see no reason not to vote.
    Whatever you think about 'the system', for now it's the system we have and the outcome of this vote WILL change the course taken, it's a rare chance to influence the government.
    Why not take it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I didn't say you can't have an opinion if you didn't vote, I said you don't have much right to complain about the outcome.
    That argument works less well in an election where FPTP means most people won't be represented.
    But in a referendum it's a straight choice between this path and the other. I see no reason not to vote.
    Whatever you think about 'the system', for now it's the system we have and the outcome of this vote WILL change the course taken, it's a rare chance to influence the government.
    Why not take it?
    How is your right to complain in any way diminished? This is very confusing. If you break the law then your rights might be diminished, or if you suffer duress you may not be able to express your rights. But outside these confines, how does a failure to behave in a specific manner reduce your rights? How, for example, by standing silent and still are whatever rights you have affected? Surely it is the other way around? There are cases where if you jump up and down and scream your rights can be affected, for example shouting fire in a crowded theatre. I can't conceive a case where your assertion is valid.

I explained to you why you can't understand any course other than the one you choose. The very fact you believe you can influence the government is cause enough to doubt your course of action regardless of the amount of faith you have placed in it.

The most powerful vote possible, and the only vote that could genuinely influence anything, would be no vote at all. A total absence of compliance or engagement, the zero turnout. The fact this outcome is unrealistic because a majority can't conceive anything outside compliance doesn't invalidate the potential effectiveness of the ideal scenario. If you listen to politicians you will realise the environment they fear above all others is peaceful non-compliance. Peaceful non-compliance has rolled back empires. So it could certainly best a motley collection of child molesters and petty crooks in Westminster.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    How is your right to complain in any way diminished?
    Because you had an opportunity to influence the outcome and declined to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because you had an opportunity to influence the outcome and declined to do so.
    And as such, your rights have been affected - how?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A vote to leave the European Union against Scotland's will would ‘almost certainly’ trigger another independence referendum, Nicola Sturgeon warned today.

The Scottish National Party leader said there would be an ‘inescapable’ shift in public opinion towards independence to guarantee Scotland's continued EU membership.

And it is ‘inevitable’ that people who voted No in 2014 would change their minds, she added.
    Trying to wrap your head around this tortured logic is painful. The Scots want independence so they can guarantee their non-independence? Oh fucking hell, it's an asylum. So for her it's about hating England then? Only logical explanation.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boris Johnson's decision to defy David Cameron and back a Brexit caused the pound to fall off a cliff this morning.

The pound slid towards its lowest level against the dollar since the election in May 2010 and also fell against the euro, the yen and 14 other world currencies.

Experts believe that Boris Johnson's decision to back Britain leaving the EU has caused market uncertainty but investors are also spooked by the Prime Minister's renegotiation deal with Brussels.

Traders began selling off the pound this morning sending the price down 1.7 per cent - the biggest one-day drop sparked when the 2010 election produced no outright winner.

Meanwhile the economic costs of quitting the EU would outweigh the benefits, according to credit ratings agency Moody's, who also warned it could downgrade the UK's current Aa1 rating.
    Direct manipulation by the white collar criminal class. Sterling/ Dollar exchange rates have nothing whatsoever to do with some tosser proclaiming he'll campaign for a particular position at some point in the future. This is just an opportunity for the money ghouls to frighten up a money scalping move in the the markets and is another demonstration of why they should be in jail rather that at the controls of the economy.

As for Moody's. They were one of the cunts who rubber stamped toxic mortgage backed securities with a AAA rating. Why do we still give a fuck what they say? They too should be in jail. When are we going to put them in jail?

The real issue here is not who's in charge or who has authority, but what are the people going to do about the criminals controlling their livelihoods and lives? In the Euro market, out of the Euro market, what difference does it make when the market is fucked beyond repair and serving the interests of the minority at the expense of everyone else? Anyone can be in charge of a lawful and properly regulated entity because it's the law and the regulation that matters, not the figurehead.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    And as such, your rights have been affected - how?
    OK, in the purest sense your rights remain the same but I'd be less inclined to listen to the moaning of people who had the chance to do something and didn't.

In general I agree we have very little opportunity to influence the government but a referendum is a rare chance to do so directly. In fact it's stronger than 'influence', the vote directly affects the course of action taken.

Whatever you think of 'the system', in a few months the UK will either be heading for 'Brexit' or we won't. You accept a zero vote won't happen so logically one of the courses of action will happen. You have an opinion on which should happen so use your vote and express that opinion. What do you lose by doing so?

Although I don't agree with the logic of people who don't vote in elections I do sympathise with it as any vote is often a compromise - it's unlikely any candidate with represent all your views. But in an in/out referendum you get to vote directly for the course of action you think is right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, in the purest sense your rights remain the same but I'd be less inclined to listen to the moaning of people who had the chance to do something and didn't.

In general I agree we have very little opportunity to influence the government but a referendum is a rare chance to do so directly. In fact it's stronger than 'influence', the vote directly affects the course of action taken.

Whatever you think of 'the system', in a few months the UK will either be heading for 'Brexit' or we won't. You accept a zero vote won't happen so logically one of the courses of action will happen. You have an opinion on which should happen so use your vote and express that opinion. What do you lose by doing so?

Although I don't agree with the logic of people who don't vote in elections I do sympathise with it as any vote is often a compromise - it's unlikely any candidate with represent all your views. But in an in/out referendum you get to vote directly for the course of action you think is right.
    Purest? In both theoretical and practical senses your rights are unaltered. For example, if I write a letter to an MP do they screen it against a list of voters and throw it away if my name can't be found? Well actually they just throw it away regardless, but the point remains. It's very clear, my rights are not affected in any way if I elect to withhold my endorsement of corruption.

If there was this fit bird living down the road and you knew for a fact you could rape her and you'd never get caught, would you do it? Considering you had nothing to lose and everything to gain? So no, I won't be voting.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I agree. Your rights aren't affected. But just don't whine about the EU if people vote to stay in and you did nothing to influence that when you could have

And your analogy is completely ridiculous.