User Tag List

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Manchester United U21s 3 v Arsenal 2 - Match Reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    We must fight together until the last game of the season according to Wenger and we don't lack leaders, it's just that he can't name them:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...chester-united

Let's not forget we have won many big games.
    TBH I'm not sure our malaise is about leadership. How many of our competitors have what we would regard as leaders? For me, we are failing in comparison with the likes of Leicester and Spurs because both these teams are super-organised, and have managers with a plan who are getting balanced and organised teams to play as a team. We are a collection of individuals with little or no direction, and a manager who seems to be making it up as he goes along. I have watched several of our games recently, and wondered how the manager has planned our approach to scoring against the opposition. My conclusion is that there isn't any plan. Our players do not look as though they have a clue what they are supposed to be doing - and it is far too easy to nullify the 'threat' of our attacking players. Meanwhile we look vulnerable constantly to any counter attack.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    TBH I'm not sure our malaise is about leadership. How many of our competitors have what we would regard as leaders? For me, we are failing in comparison with the likes of Leicester and Spurs because both these teams are super-organised, and have managers with a plan who are getting balanced and organised teams to play as a team. We are a collection of individuals with little or no direction, and a manager who seems to be making it up as he goes along. I have watched several of our games recently, and wondered how the manager has planned our approach to scoring against the opposition. My conclusion is that there isn't any plan. Our players do not look as though they have a clue what they are supposed to be doing - and it is far too easy to nullify the 'threat' of our attacking players. Meanwhile we look vulnerable constantly to any counter attack.
    It's a free for all. They all do what they want. It would explain why two players can play the same position but play in totally different ways. Coquelin at DM will hold off from going too far forward. Flamini at DM just bombs forward with no regard for defending. Ramsey at CM just bombs forward without building from deep, Cazorla on the other hand will sit deeper and distribute the ball and play a more measured game. Theo focuses totally on making off the ball runs and staying forward when on the flanks, Ox and Campbell will try to build play from further back like normal wingers. So on and so on.

Not every player is the same but there seems to be no solid foundation to what they're supposed to be doing out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    It's a free for all. They all do what they want. It would explain why two players can play the same position but play in totally different ways. Coquelin at DM will hold off from going too far forward. Flamini at DM just bombs forward with no regard for defending. Ramsey at CM just bombs forward without building from deep, Cazorla on the other hand will sit deeper and distribute the ball and play a more measured game. Theo focuses totally on making off the ball runs and staying forward when on the flanks, Ox and Campbell will try to build play from further back like normal wingers. So on and so on.

Not every player is the same but there seems to be no solid foundation to what they're supposed to be doing out there.
    Agreed - and what's more I think this explains why we are falling behind in comparison to younger, hungrier and more tactically astute managers. The extra money in the EPL means that margins are being narrowed. Traditionally lower placed teams are scouting players who are technically better in comparison to the top teams; all teams now are well on top of fitness/nutrition etc - and while we used to be at our best in later stages of games because of our superior fitness we are now encountering teams who can press like mofo's and put us off our pasing game right to the final whistle. The biggest factor, though is that we now have managers who are adept at spotting the weaknesses in other teams and whose players buy in absolutely to their managers' philosophy and tactical approach. Spurs and Leicester are flying high not because they necessarily have the best players (although both teams have benefitted from having strikers on phenomenal form all season), but because they have a game plan that their teams believe in and stick to - to great effect. And this breeds the confidence that has predictably leeched out of our team since mid December. The fact that Wenger cannot see how the game is developing in this way - when this extraordinary season has thrown this tactical approach to the game into sharp relief - is a reason in itself why his time is up.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is seriously one of the funniest shit I have ever watched. The part about Depay in the end just killed it for me.

Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Agreed - and what's more I think this explains why we are falling behind in comparison to younger, hungrier and more tactically astute managers. The extra money in the EPL means that margins are being narrowed. Traditionally lower placed teams are scouting players who are technically better in comparison to the top teams; all teams now are well on top of fitness/nutrition etc - and while we used to be at our best in later stages of games because of our superior fitness we are now encountering teams who can press like mofo's and put us off our pasing game right to the final whistle. The biggest factor, though is that we now have managers who are adept at spotting the weaknesses in other teams and whose players buy in absolutely to their managers' philosophy and tactical approach. Spurs and Leicester are flying high not because they necessarily have the best players (although both teams have benefitted from having strikers on phenomenal form all season), but because they have a game plan that their teams believe in and stick to - to great effect. And this breeds the confidence that has predictably leeched out of our team since mid December. The fact that Wenger cannot see how the game is developing in this way - when this extraordinary season has thrown this tactical approach to the game into sharp relief - is a reason in itself why his time is up.
    To be fair, only one younger manager is superseding Wenger at the moment, the other four teams immediately around us are all led by men of a similar age. Even Mourinho and Koeman are men in their early 50's. If Fergie was still around that would add to the list of aged managers, I'm not sure it is age, more adaptability to new thinking that allows a manager to keep on at the very top. And money hasn't made too much of a difference when you look at West Ham's, Leicester's, Watford's or Southampton's spending over the past year or two. Speed, pressing and counter attacking across the board, descended from Bielsa's style onto Pep, Simeone and Klopp has hit these shores in a big way now. It's no surprise that the two teams sitting at the top of the league employ that style and haven't spent a fortune getting there either.

For all the frusrating faults and lack of progression with the resources at his disposal, Wenger has managed to keep himself above an endless stream of younger managers over the years. So as dated and frustrating as his approach is at times to us all, he has been wise enough to manage that. But of course what Wenger has lacked for some time is he ability to maximise the talents of the players at hand.
    Last edited by Kano; 02-03-2016 at 06:44 PM.