User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Wenger after 2017

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I think he did pretty well in the era when we had to belt tighten somewhat while the billionaires were having the biggest impact. I agree he should have won more in that time though and it's increasingly clear he's not able to take us any further. What people seem not to acknowledge is the flaws we're seeing now which are hurting us have ALWAYS BEEN THERE. He wasn't a genius of a manger in the first half of his time with us and then suddenly a bumbling idiot. Like anyone, he has strengths and weaknesses. His strengths revolutionised the club when he first joined us - the fitness methods, the knowledge of the European game. Other clubs have caught up and arguably overtaken us so he's lost his edge. But that doesn't mean that he's suddenly an idiot and that the last 10 years have been an abject failure.
    I think he at times did well to get us a top 4 finish with some of the squads he built, but other times I think he had strong enough squads to actually win PL even though he was up against the financial dopers.

I do agree with the basis of what you are saying and he did most definitely have flaws in his early days even though back then we were unquestionably a great team that he built so I give him huge credit for that.

I don't think he's a bumbling idiot, I think he's too principle driven and not pragmatic enough, he just doesn't seem to have that "win at all costs mentality" that I felt he had in the early days. This season is a prime example, in theory he has been more or less handed the title, he will never get an easier chance to win PL yet the way he reacted to media questioning was of a man that plainly believes he is doing the best job he can. If this is the best he can offer us then he has to go, it's pitiful.

The last 10 years haven't been abject failure but they have been a lot closer to failure than success, he has achieved 2 FA Cup wins in the last 10 years, that's not good enough if you look at it objectively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More or less agree with that

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I think our wage bill suggested we had more to spend than what we did, clearly we didn't have the spending power of Chelsea, United and City (and in fact we don't now) but I think the fact when talking about Lewandowski and lamenting that he could have got him for 500k shows that there is a big element of hubris in his reluctance to spend, that and ultra conservatism.
    I think he literally believed that he could get a squad as good as Barcelona on a shoestring budget.

I think he also likes the idea of signing players no one has heard of so he gets the credit from turning them from obscurity into stars, and with people having long ago caught him up on scouting youth players the only players he can get for cut price deals are shit (like poor gangly Yaya Sanogo).

And because the title squad he built had more natural mental strength in it, through maturity (such as the back four he inherited) he has been used to taking a back seat and taking a laisse faire approach with in game management and many of his players now are overgrown kids who don't have that strength of mind from within.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you guys seen this video?

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/arsen...al-next-season

'No surprise'

Damn right FFS, untouchable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post

'No surprise'

Damn right FFS, untouchable
    If he can share his happiness with you then even better.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    But if not too fucking bad

Sepp Blatter syndrome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post

'No surprise'