User Tag List

Page 373 of 458 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4574

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery and Recriminations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Valencia say Mustafi will not be sold this transfer window and is in the side for tonight's first La Liga game of the season.' Sky

Trying to make sure they get top dollar or are we looking for somebody else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Historically a manager is judged by his greatest achievements rather than the totality of his career, for Managers like Ferguson he comes up well whichever way you look at it. Clough on the other hand will always be remembered as the quotable, abrasive, arrogant but charismatic character who achieved something unprecedented with Notts Forest and rightly so.
    His career achievements aren't all that great overall, yes 3 PL titles is good, but no success in Europe, never defending the PL in a career spanning 20 years.

Clough at least won the European cup which is the ultimate prize for any club.

For me though his management ability has really been shown up in the last decade, to the point you can actually start to question whether what he achieved at the beginning was circumstances tinged with luck.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >Using comic sans font in an official resignation letter

No wonder they're working in the Arsenal store, assuming the letter is even real which I probably doubt.

Not to defend Wenger but the "600 employees" quote is starting to be taken extremely out of context, comically so. There's plenty to have a go at him without resorting to such silliness of grandstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermarvee View Post
    'Valencia say Mustafi will not be sold this transfer window and is in the side for tonight's first La Liga game of the season.' Sky

Trying to make sure they get top dollar or are we looking for somebody else?
    Could be that we're sh*t at signing players, well except for unknowns and kids that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post

No wonder they're working in the Arsenal store, assuming the letter is even real which I probably doubt.

Not to defend Wenger but the "600 employees" quote is starting to be taken extremely out of context, comically so. There's plenty to have a go at him without resorting to such silliness of grandstanding.
    There can be no suitable context for the 600 employees comment, it's a ridiculous comment that should never have been made bearing in mind the scenario.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    His career achievements aren't all that great overall, yes 3 PL titles is good, but no success in Europe, never defending the PL in a career spanning 20 years.

Clough at least won the European cup which is the ultimate prize for any club.

For me though his management ability has really been shown up in the last decade, to the point you can actually start to question whether what he achieved at the beginning was circumstances tinged with luck.
    Every managerial success is dependent on a degree of circumstance and luck, at the time when he was successful he was one of the best managers in the business and now he's a has been and is totally out of touch with the modern game. If you feel the need to totally de construct his achievements as manager to fit your current narrative that's up to you, i think the majority of fans are more likely to see things from my point of view that he was a top manager for us once, and was a stabilising figure whilst we were trying to keep at a certain level with a constrained budget, but that time has passed and he is no longer able to push us on and is still entrenched and arrogant to acknowledge that.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BT Sports Hack: "Does it matter if players are overpriced, in a game where billions are being poured in? Does it really matter?"

Wenger: "What matters to me is if you have a club with 600 employees, that you can pay them at the end of the month. That is important for me."

Now from the actual context, it's clearly not Arsene saying we're not spending money because we need to pay our employees. The actual message is closer to it doesn't matter if you are overspending as long as you spend within your means. Where the ability to pay big fees and still have enough to pay employees is the sign that you're spending within your means. It's a sad state of affair now that people have such emotional responses to quotes but don't bother to explore the context surrounding them. I'm of the opinion Arsene should step down but I have enough for the man to not take his quotes out of context.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie

There is no context to them, it's like much of what Wenger says attacking a straw man. No fan wants us to live beyond our means, no fan is interested in spending money for the sake of spending money. And it's a bit of a joke talking about paying 600 employees when many aren't paid the London living wage which is just pure greed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BT Sports Hack: "Does it matter if players are overpriced, in a game where billions are being poured in? Does it really matter?"

Wenger: "What matters to me is if you have a club with 600 employees, that you can pay them at the end of the month. That is important for me."

Now from the actual context, it's clearly not Arsene saying we're not spending money because we need to pay our employees. The actual message is closer to it doesn't matter if you are overspending as long as you spend within your means. Where the ability to pay big fees and still have enough to pay employees is the sign that you're spending within your means. It's a sad state of affair now that people have such emotional responses to quotes but don't bother to explore the context surrounding them. I'm of the opinion Arsene should step down but I have enough for the man to not take his quotes out of context.
    Like I said though, he didn't have to say that, he wasn't answering the question, in addition we have plenty of money to pay our 600 employees, even if we overpaid, you don't hear any other managers coming out with nonsense like this.

It's frankly a ridiculous answer, the question was very valid, there's billions being poured in (and we get more than our fair share), so the fact players are more expensive is covered by that, we paid our employees even before the big new deal with TV.

Let's not overlook the face he's vastly overpaid for the job he's doing.
    Last edited by Özim; 22-08-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Every managerial success is dependent on a degree of circumstance and luck, at the time when he was successful he was one of the best managers in the business and now he's a has been and is totally out of touch with the modern game. If you feel the need to totally de construct his achievements as manager to fit your current narrative that's up to you, i think the majority of fans are more likely to see things from my point of view that he was a top manager for us once, and was a stabilising figure whilst we were trying to keep at a certain level with a constrained budget, but that time has passed and he is no longer able to push us on and is still entrenched and arrogant to acknowledge that.
    Maybe maybe not, plenty will remember him for the bulk of his career where he's really not done a good job and been dishonest and arrogant, his days of success are a long time ago now, it's becoming hard to really remember things vividly.