User Tag List

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie Vardy - BBC Sport - Vardy set to reject Arsenal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I'm no fan of this potential signing for a few reasons but when you look at the strikers out there, any other signing would be a gamble. Janssen is young, very unproven and would have been cheap - something you are criticising the club for with Vardy. Lewandowski appears to be going to be Madrid. Aubmeyang I would be very surprised at being allowed to leave, what with 2/3 other key players on their way out the door. Higuain is a proven scorer but 29 years old, so not the longterm solution you are looking for and probably three times as much too. So anyone else is probably going to be a cheap or very expensive gamble.
    I prefer young and cheap than 29 and cheap because at least the former has a chance of improving, moreover because he's done it at a young age he's less likely to be a one season wonder IMO.

Yes there's a shortage of quality out there unless you want to make a megabucks bid, however a 29 year old wouldn't be my choice regardless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We finished 2nd.
    Like I said yesterday it was luck, weren't you paying attention?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    I would have preferred Vincent Janseen. But Vardy probably edges Morata. Just. Tough call really. He's 29 years old and only has two seasons at the top level under his belt. He only managed 5 goals last year. I just think something special happened in that Leicester camp and they willed their way through to win the title.

I worry he's this year's Michu/Ba. Time will tell.
    I'm with you on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Gooner View Post
    There was paper talk in January about the chavs taking a punt on him, so why shouldn't we do the same? We have lacked that bite up front for too long now, let's give the guy a chance.
    If we don't get him now and he rips up the Euros, then moves for bigger money we'd all be sat here thinking if the what ifs.
    20mil for vary, or 50mil for a Torres type flop. I know which I'd rather take a punt on.
    At 29 with one good season behind him he won't go for bigger money, clubs aren't mugs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Like I said yesterday it was luck, weren't you paying attention?
    You pretty much finish where you deserve to over 38 games.
    Had we been in Spurs' place and collapsed to let them overtake us then I very much doubt you'd be saying that they were 'lucky' to finish 2nd and we were 'unlucky' to finish 3rd. The season is 38 games long, we finished 2nd.

But anyway, as Maccy said this thread is about Vardy - let's talk about him and that potential signing rather than you just using this as another platform for your ongoing whineathon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you on this.
    Yeah, I remember you saying Janseen looked decent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 29 with one good season behind him he won't go for bigger money, clubs aren't mugs.
    Really?! Some of the big money thrown around on flops over the last few years says different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    If he gets us two seasons of 20+ goals it'd be worth every penny.

Reading a lot of the comments (not just on this place) there's a lot of football snobbery going on tbh. I don't care if he isn't a fancy name, just as long as he scores goals, goals and goals!
    Exactly.

Now if we're smart we go and buy a young hotshot who can take his time to develop and we build ourselves that mega striker we currently can't afford or won't pay the money for. And in a way I'm with Wenger when it comes to some of the stupid figures being bandied about. Neymar, £130million? Martial currently valued at £80million. Seriously? Does any one player bring that much to a team? Well we know what we're getting with Vardy, a guy who will graft all day long and knows where the goal is. He'll also get straight into the box and dive. I'm not joking when I say that's something we have been missing. That's how it's done in this league. Rooney, Sterling, Costa, Young, Bale when he was here, Starfish, that's what we have been up against and we've come out on the losing side 9/10. Time to turn those tables.

If this happens it'll be our most effective signing in years, excluding Cech which was another much, much needed signing.

People really want to pay £60mill for Morata and then pay him another £30mill over 4 years in wages? We're worried about a striker who has just done the business and hoisted a PL title, yet we're cool with Morata coming in for the lion's share of our transfer budget? I don't get it.

Now we have the cash left over to go and get a top CB and we're ready. For once in the last decade we're ready.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus it's now possible to scrape up some sort of interest for England in the Euros. A nice Kane mega flop and Vardy to bag a few, that would be nice. Though if he joins us I guess he'll be straight out of Woy's reckoning once Martin Samuel sends word.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Player > Age
    Higuain 28
    Cavani 29
    Benzema 28
    Suarez 29
    Vardy 29
    This. For those that bemoan his age. I read o. Here we signed Wright at a similar age, and that went well. Yes he uses his pace which will go in time, but he knows his way to goal, looks a natural tbh. Many are saying it's not their first choice, but he might just be one of two, and we get a younger player to bed in. If we get two seasons out of him and a decent tally of goals, £20mil is a bargain in today's market. So what if it's a stop gap? People are making out its easy to go get any top striker, but it isn't. There are not many around, some will want to stay with their current clubs, some clubs will ask silly money, some players will want silly money. It's not like playing championship manager, it's complex stuff.
    As far as I am concerned, he will get us goals, he will take the burden off Giroud, it's another option, he is better than Theo, so for £20mil, I'm happy. He is 29, this will be his last move of note, so looking st the way he plays, he will bust a gut trying to make it work and become successful.