Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dostoy View Post
    WTF does its on mean ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been a left-footed-lucas shaped hole since Poldi left. Let's hope he's as good at Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a piece written by a Deportivo fan about Lucas:

Lucas Pérez will be announced in the next 24 hours as an Arsenal player. As a Deportivo de la Coruńa fan, I thought it right to scribble some musings on Lucas as a player.

You’ll read a lot in the coming days/weeks about Lucas from people who, quite frankly, watched him very little (if at all). I’m going to condense his history as a footballer into one small paragraph, since I assume most readers just want to know what kind of player he is and if he suits Arsenal.

Lucas is a Deportivo fan, born and bred. He used to sit in the stands with the Riazor Blues, now he represents the club (although not for long). He’s spent two phenomenal years at Depor, clinching goals that secured survival in back-to-back seasons. He even broke the club record of goals scored in consecutive games, toppling Brazilian legend Bebeto. Lucas performed against the biggest of clubs (as evidenced with two goals in two games at the Camp Nou), as well as the smallest of them too. To join Depor, Lucas had to travel around Europe first. When he did arrive, it included minimising his wage by triple and leaving a Champions League club (PAOK). The love and adoration he has for the club has also seen him turn down Leicester, Southampton, Napoli, Zenit & Sevilla this summer. But, when Arsenal come knocking, it’s hard to resist. Especially when you’re 27, at the peak of your game and performing at a club far smaller in current stature.

Now, about Lucas as a player. It says a lot that Arsene Wenger swooped in for the Spaniard after being turned down by Jamie Vardy. Stylistically, both are the same type of player: lean forwards with bags of speed and energy, always raring to break the defensive line and find themselves one-on-one. In fact, much like Vardy, Lucas suits the counter-attacking style of football. A style that Arsenal irregularly employ, which may be a sticking point. If Wenger does switch for this sort of style, which could be supported by the fact he’s chased down two identical strikers this summer, Arsenal may just have pulled off a bargain considering the current market. One interesting fact about Lucas is that he can speak English, having used it as a form of communication in Ukraine and Greece while plying his trade there.

“Lucas isn’t a prolific goal scorer” – that’s something you’ll be reading a lot over the coming days, supported of course by baseless statistics that don’t consider the fact that he only started playing as a striker last season. He’s often been an interior or attacking-midfielder, sticking close to the striker on his team. Arsenal have Olivier Giroud, a striker synonymous with performing at his best when he has a player that operates closely with him (Griezmann for France, occasionally Walcott for Arsenal). Lucas offers Wenger that duality in style: he can be the counter-attacking striker that punishes opposition defences or he can be a foil and creator for Giroud.

Lucas amassed eight assists and 17 goals last year. A career high. While that may seem measly in a time where footballers are filling their boots with 40+ goals per season, one has to consider the club. As a Deportivo fan, I have struggled in the last 5-6 years with strikers who end as top scorers for the club with just 7-10 goals. The issue they all have in common is a lack of creator in the side. Strikers are often forced to carve out their own chances here, so that’s a testament to Lucas’ comfortability and quality as a forward. He chases down possession, effortlessly carries the game forward and then applies a slick finishing touch. This, with no creator. Arsenal have Mesut Özil – a player crying out for more goal scorers to support – and the likes of a supporting cast of Santi Cazorla, Aaron Ramsey etc. The list goes on. Lucas had virtually nobody last season, nor the season before that. He was plucking goals out of nothing, such as the one embedded below.

Lucas has also shown that he can bring the best out of players around him. Luis Alberto, for example, had his best season knocking in goals for Sevilla’s B team. At Liverpool & Málaga, he was fairly poor. At Depor, though, we saw the best of Luis Alberto. Why? Because Lucas, when working in tandem with another forward, is a fantastic footballer. And if he strikes this partnership with, say, Alexis or Giroud, then Arsenal fans are likely to be salivating come the end of the summer.

Am I saying he’s perfect for Arsenal? Not really. There are a few caveats. Will Wenger arrange the system around him? That’s one. But the other comes as part of Lucas’ main issue: he takes a few chances before he puts one away. That may frustrate some, but it’s also worth looking at the other side of things: will he score more if he’s less inclined to snap away at the half chances he creates and simply latch onto a perfectly weighted pass instead? Lucas also requires a bit of freedom if his game is to truly prosper. It’s far from clear what his role will be, but he is an upgrade on all of Arsenal’s wingers (bar Alexis) at the very least.

And, just briefly, since I mentioned Alexis, Arsenal fans will love Lucas Pérez for the same reason they love the Chilean. He works extremely hard – and not in an English “he runs about a bit” type. Lucas will bust a lung to revive a loose ball and, once he collects it, he will carry it forward. Unlike Alexis, though, Lucas is less of a dribbler so will look to release possession to a team-mate once he wins the ball back.

Is he perfect? No. And is he the striker Arsenal 100% wanted this summer? No. But I think he could prove to be an exceptional capture if, as aforementioned, the system is arranged to suit his game. He could be the perfect partner for Giroud and Alexis. Stylistically speaking, Wenger has a very versatile player on his hands that could be the key to saving what has been a miserable summer & start to the season.
    https://moarfootball.com/2016/08/25/...n-lucas-perez/
    Last edited by Kano; 26-08-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forwards to seeing this guy play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Here's a piece written by a Deportivo fan about Lucas:

https://moarfootball.com/2016/08/25/...n-lucas-perez/
    Am I saying he’s perfect for Arsenal? Not really. There are a few caveats. Will Wenger arrange the system around him? That’s one. But the other comes as part of Lucas’ main issue: he takes a few chances before he puts one away. That may frustrate some, but it’s also worth looking at the other side of things: will he score more if he’s less inclined to snap away at the half chances he creates and simply latch onto a perfectly weighted pass instead? Lucas also requires a bit of freedom if his game is to truly prosper. It’s far from clear what his role will be, but he is an upgrade on all of Arsenal’s wingers (bar Alexis) at the very least.
    That's what I didn't want to hear, I wanted a finisher not someone who is going to miss quite a few before scoring, disappointing to here this, pretty much like the lot we have right now.

This guy seems to think he's a winger, I'd like to think that means this isn't the end of our striker search, but I think I'm being optimistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's a problem, you'll know how to find it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    That's what I didn't want to hear, I wanted a finisher not someone who is going to miss quite a few before scoring, disappointing to here this, pretty much like the lot we have right now.

This guy seems to think he's a winger, I'd like to think that means this isn't the end of our striker search, but I think I'm being optimistic.
    He looks decent on youtube though. I know that doesn't mean a lot.

He'll be our striker. I think he'll get better in the role.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Fuck it, no one is going to spin and pretend this is what we wanted. Nor are we going to suddenly think this wasn't a total bum drizzle of a summer. It has the hallmarks of another panic signing because Wenger after all this time hasn't learned not to prevaricate and agonise.

As far as I'm concerned we have dropped five points, Liverpool are an average side with a decent manager who is still developing the team to play how he wants it to, and Leicester are suffering the hangover of reality especially after losing the player who arguably was the most influential in making that title win happen for them, in reality we should have beaten both sides and comfortably.....even with a clod like Wenger that shouldn't have been a big ask.

We have done the bare minimum again, Wenger has gotten off his arse at the last minute because he would have have had an unbearable three months in the dug out had he not done so.

I can't form a judgement on either play simply because I haven't seen enough of them, Mustafi I have seen once or twice for Germany and Perez...,wasn't even aware of his existence before two days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck it, no one is going to spin and pretend this is what we wanted.
    Has anyone said that? He just looks like a decent alternative. Also, if this wasn’t planned, what caused the change? Did the pressure come from above? Was Wenger taken back a bit by the fans reaction at the last game?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Has anyone said that?
    No that's why I said no-one is going to do it. And in the final paragraph i make it clear that i am making no judgement on Lucas Perez because i know literally nothing about him

I don't think this particular transfer was planned no, i think we looked at him but probably thought there was something out there better, but came back to it a) because we are struggling to find better b) everton were about to sign him and c) yes the fans are up would be up in arms if he did nothing and it's quite possible that there might be arm twisting from above.....if true shame it couldn't have been done earlier but i guess better late than never.