User Tag List

Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't think Wales or Portugal are more advanced technically actually so I guess if Portugal can blunder their way through and win it (and I still can't quite believe they did) then we can.
    But I don't rate this lot at all. 10 years ago - maybe longer - I felt we had a chance against the big guns. In 90, 96 and 98 we lost on pens and in all 3 games we were fantastic and unlucky to lose.
    I guess that was a long time ago now but now I don't feel we'd have any chance against a Germany or Brazil.
    England in the Euros reminded me of Arsenal in the Prem last season, best time to win it, nobody standing out etc and probably had the worst tournament in years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermarvee View Post
    England in the Euros reminded me of Arsenal in the Prem last season, best time to win it, nobody standing out etc and probably had the worst tournament in years.
    Agree.

Iceland!

Sodding Iceland!

Can't remember when we went to 2-1 down but we had a good hour to score a goal and barely got a sniff. Pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't think Wales or Portugal are more advanced technically actually so I guess if Portugal can blunder their way through and win it (and I still can't quite believe they did) then we can.
    But I don't rate this lot at all. 10 years ago - maybe longer - I felt we had a chance against the big guns. In 90, 96 and 98 we lost on pens and in all 3 games we were fantastic and unlucky to lose.
    I guess that was a long time ago now but now I don't feel we'd have any chance against a Germany or Brazil.
    We didn't beat those teams in major competitions back then either. We didn't even qualify for the World Cup in 94. In fact, I'd fancy our chances against Brazil now because their national team is nothing to be afraid of.

Heck, once upon a time the most technically gifted England player was Joe Cole ffs. I think we've got more rounded players but they're young and haven't really honed their best weapons just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. So we weren't miles behind the rest of the teams on paper. I'm not usually one to blame the manager when it comes to England because for years I watched the press try to paper over the fact that we were shit and most of our players were overrated. But I think this generation of players are technically better. Sterling, Wilshere, Lallana, Ox, Sturridge, Kane....they have a solid base to work from when looking at their technique. I think they'd all benefit from going overseas and learning how to play in Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland....just so they have to work an earn their right to play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn't beat them back then but we went toe to toe with them and on the 3 occasions I mentioned we were unlucky not to beat them (Gazza's outstretched boot in '96 )
    Back then I felt we had a chance, right now I wouldn't hold out much hope.
    There is a problem with coaching in England, it may be getting better but historically we have been starting competitive games on big pitches with kids far too young which favours the taller players who aren't as technical, we don't get the basics right first technically as they do overseas. Maybe that has changed now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think something went wrong mentally for that Iceland game because we couldn't make a pass in that game but we've seen that same group look a lot better than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically we're not great but I think we should be better than what we've seen at the last few tournaments.

For me though I think the problem for a long time has been the mentality of this and the previous generation of players. I've never had the feeling that these guys enjoy playing for England, it's almost treated like a necessary evil. No matter how good the manager is, the tactics, the players etc, if you have a group of players that see the national team as a chore then you can't expect to amount to anything.

Scholes had it right a few years back when he spoke about the selfish nature of some players in the England squad and the lack of comradery. It's been a similar story with the Netherlands throughout the years as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Technically we're not great but I think we should be better than what we've seen at the last few tournaments.

For me though I think the problem for a long time has been the mentality of this and the previous generation of players. I've never had the feeling that these guys enjoy playing for England, it's almost treated like a necessary evil. No matter how good the manager is, the tactics, the players etc, if you have a group of players that see the national team as a chore then you can't expect to amount to anything.

Scholes had it right a few years back when he spoke about the selfish nature of some players in the England squad and the lack of comradery. It's been a similar story with the Netherlands throughout the years as well.
    Yeah this. I also think it doesn't help that the media blow these players up as the second coming of Christ due to their performances in the Premiership which is massively overrated IMO.

Football is so geared towards finances now that you are probably right in that the players do not really care that much for the national team, why would they when they are not getting paid 100k per week or getting obscene bonuses.

In terms of the Manager, Allardyce is the best of a bad bunch, we've not really had a true elite manager since Capello, regardless of what people thought of him his track record at club level was very good.

Allardyce will do OK, same old stuff really, we'll cruise the qualifying group and come up short when the real thing kicks in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    I think something went wrong mentally for that Iceland game because we couldn't make a pass in that game but we've seen that same group look a lot better than that.
    But even though they had most of the possession, there was something lacking from these players yesterday. The media went down the route that after a hard season, they were tired when we were knocked out by Iceland. What excuse is there now? Three matches in and they still looked like they were playing on gloopy porridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But even though they had most of the possession, there was something lacking from these players yesterday. The media went down the route that after a hard season, they were tired when we were knocked out by Iceland. What excuse is there now? Three matches in and they still looked like they were playing on gloopy porridge.
    It's still mental. A new manager and they're still under pressure to perform.

But besides the mental part, Kane can't lead the line. We need more pace up front and he's non existent at the moment. Rooney also has to play further up the field as a 10 or nothing at all.