User Tag List

Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    it makes the assertion that Giroud had a good tournament? did he.....he scored three goals in seven games (scoring in two of the games against Romania and Iceland)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iceland are very good, actually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and don't forget that horrendous miss when he was through on goal 1 on 1 with the keeper and only needed to look up and pass to Griezmann for a tap in.

He wasn't very good at all in fact, very average, he's Mr average really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the wrong focus. No striker besides Griezmann really stood out and that's the whole point. Giroud scored 3 which is joint second but his play is complimented Griezmann's style.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love Ozil. I think he’s a magician. But I just don’t think he’s playing in the right position. The reason Giroud’s had such a good tournament is because he’s had Griezmann playing just off him, the perfect partner for him to do what he does best: hold up the ball, bring others into play and lay people through to score – generally being one of the least selfish strikers going, not the main focal point for scoring goals. Arsenal’s problem is that Ozil doesn’t compliment that, he can pick a pass like no other, but doesn’t look to drive forward and score goals, sometimes even annoyingly so when he seems to look to set up a teammate even when perfectly placed to shoot. This for me is a big part of why sometimes we just can’t break teams down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    That's the wrong focus. No striker besides Griezmann really stood out and that's the whole point. Giroud scored 3 which is joint second but his play is complimented Griezmann's style.
    That's because the natural tendency in European football is extreme conservatism. There's so much money at stake that the emphasis has shifted from winning to not losing and this has seen huge negativity break out across the game. In the negative formations (except when Leicester City shot that to death) and the bog standard destroyers that are masquerading as football players. Every aspect of the game is regressive. And boring. Boring, boring, boring. Pep has been feted as a genius coach, but he's boring too. Some of his Barca teams played the most boring football the world has ever seen. But it was effective and got the points and so the entertainment didn't matter. The modern game has allowed non-footballers to thrive. Farmers with huge amounts of energy and zero talent. They can't pass, cross a ball, they have no intelligence and absolutely no love of the game. It's the one thing I will always give Wenger credit for. He presided over genuinely beautiful football, the way the game should be played. He still had big and powerful players but they were talented too and they had a natural flair for playing the game in such a way that engrossed the fans and made them jump out of seats and just love every minute of it. Now look at the shit that is the modern game. And look at the amount of money these turd managers and turd players are getting paid to deliver nothing. Giroud being a fine example. As said, there's no bigger Mr Average in the game.

I still get a buzz from watching that Copa final. That was football. Something the Europeans have forgotten all about as they count their money.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Ozil. He's from the old school. A real football player. God forbid we ever lose these players from the game because what the fuck is left? If we ever aspire to playing football again then Ozil is the foundation on which we build.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    That's because the natural tendency in European football is extreme conservatism. There's so much money at stake that the emphasis has shifted from winning to not losing and this has seen huge negativity break out across the game. In the negative formations (except when Leicester City shot that to death) and the bog standard destroyers that are masquerading as football players. Every aspect of the game is regressive. And boring. Boring, boring, boring. Pep has been feted as a genius coach, but he's boring too. Some of his Barca teams played the most boring football the world has ever seen. But it was effective and got the points and so the entertainment didn't matter. The modern game has allowed non-footballers to thrive. Farmers with huge amounts of energy and zero talent. They can't pass, cross a ball, they have no intelligence and absolutely no love of the game. It's the one thing I will always give Wenger credit for. He presided over genuinely beautiful football, the way the game should be played. He still had big and powerful players but they were talented too and they had a natural flair for playing the game in such a way that engrossed the fans and made them jump out of seats and just love every minute of it. Now look at the shit that is the modern game. And look at the amount of money these turd managers and turd players are getting paid to deliver nothing. Giroud being a fine example. As said, there's no bigger Mr Average in the game.

I still get a buzz from watching that Copa final. That was football. Something the Europeans have forgotten all about as they count their money.
    That's a blanket statement. You mentioned Lewandowski as an ideal striker for this club so you can't fully agree with all of the above. Besides, we have a South American that's far from conservative leading the line but it's not really working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    And Ozil. He's from the old school. A real football player. God forbid we ever lose these players from the game because what the fuck is left? If we ever aspire to playing football again then Ozil is the foundation on which we build.
    So we have a Ozil playing behind the South American type you like. What's the problem? Before you jump straight to Wenger being the issue, think about it.

Ozil certainly is not from the old school. He's very conservative, doesn't take risks and plays the percentages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute nonsense PnG. What's happened to football is so obvious that the piss is making bruises as it hits your face. And yet we have some people saying, oh dear, how can we tinker with this just a little to get a different outcome? It's just silly.

You have some sort of agenda biased against Ozil. Any fool can look at the guy playing the game and come away appreciating he's a top class footballer. For that to be in question is ridiculous. It doesn't warrant a debate. However, it's perfectly legitimate to ask if we are getting the best from this player given our setup and our (ahem) tactics. We aren't. I'm not sure anyone disagrees with that. It's frustrating. We have a world class player on our hands and we can't seem to use those talents to the best effect. I wonder why that is? certainly not because the player lacks talent. And certainly not because he's established himself right up there with Messi as the most effective influencer in world football. I mean these are the facts, right? We know the guy can do it because he's done it. Right in front of our eyes.

So why is he not doing it now? Could it be that he's suddenly lost all his talent? Or could it be because we have an idiot in charge of the club?

I wonder? What could the most realistic answer be?

Wenger does this. He passes off the blame to anywhere and everywhere to avoid the glaring issue at the very heart of this club. The cancer.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    That's a blanket statement. You mentioned Lewandowski as an ideal striker for this club so you can't fully agree with all of the above. Besides, we have a South American that's far from conservative leading the line but it's not really working.
    There are the odd few players, LIKE OZIL, who rise above this shite. Obviously.
    Für eure Sicherheit