User Tag List

Page 26 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Lets just make sure we compete this year, if they still want to go then at least we can have no regrets.
    That's how I see it really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Finishing top 4 is not enough anymore, we should be properly challenging for titles & trophies.
    Agreed but I think since the money has been available we've actually spent quite well. Wenger hasn't gone nuts but he's bought a level of players which should be able to push us on.
    I like Giroud and think the criticism of him is unfair but he's not going to win you a title, players like Ozil and Sanchez.
    IMO we have a squad which can compete now, I'm not convinced about our mentality but that would be so whoever we buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a hypothetical world, if the only choice we had was to let Wenger go or keep Sanchez/Ozil but not both, which one would you prefer? To me, its the former all day long!

Coming to the real world, I agree with one of the links posted. I'd keep Sanchez over Ozil any time of the day!!
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    In a hypothetical world, if the only choice we had was to let Wenger go or keep Sanchez/Ozil but not both, which one would you prefer? To me, its the former all day long!

Coming to the real world, I agree with one of the links posted. I'd keep Sanchez over Ozil any time of the day!!
    If you'd asked me who i said was more pivotal earlier in the year i'd have said Ozil, but tuesday night shows how pivotal that Sanchez is to our attacking play he has his markers chasing shadows and frees up so much space for those around him that he becomes invaluable to us.

Ozil's passing and vision is second to none in my view, but this is can be rather limited against sides who will spend the entire game doing all they can to close us down and deny us space. Ozil's ability to find players and assists are exceptional, but he is not providing many assists currently. I'd rather lose neither of them i think they perform together brilliantly and i think add a player like Lucas Perez into the mix we have an attack which bamboozles defences with it's trickery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Gazidis and Wenger are tuned enough into fan sentiment to know that there would be an open revolt if we allowed either Ozil or Sanchez to leave to a rival. And if the latter especially wanted the fans to accept him receiving a new contract without that much pushback, knows he has to get them to stay. Chips and Kroenke on the other hand ........... those mongs would probably sell them for 100 million combined; they're that clueless.

I might be naive, but that's the last pillar of hope I'm holding on to. That, and from what we saw with Vardy and Mahrez in the summer, a lot of players don't like upending and moving and would naturally prefer to stay in settled environments.

It's all because of fucking Man Utd though. They give out these ridiculous mega contracts to big names (250k for Zlatan, 290k for Pogba (after tax so its closer to 400k), 270k for Shrek etc etc) because they don't have CL football, because they have the money from shithouse sponsorship deals (noodle sponsors and Addidas ) and because Ed Woodward is a fucking moron and it just inflates the entire market.

There was a story that Alexis was using a supposed preposterous offer of 400k from China to help up his demands; I'd like to think that's not true and there's no way he'd actually go to China especially in the prime of his career. I do feel that offers around the ~250k range should be enough for the pair of them so they get parity with the other highest paid superstars in the league as is deserving of their stature.

Alexis especially is irreplaceable. It'd be the height of stupidity to let him go as there isn't another player available in world football who would give what he does; we especially should know that. We spent many summers looking for a world class striker only to not find one and then persisting with Giroud. Not to mention if there was one, he'd cost 70 million + which is ultimately more than what Alexis is demanding.
    Gazidis and Wenger still seem out of touch. Some of the statements over the summer were unbelievable and we still went about doing our business the usual way. All so last minute and spending a good chunk of money on players that might not even fit in with our style of play. I’m sure they sense that there will be an outcry if we lose Sanchez and Ozil but I also suspect they’ve kicked the media PR machine into 4th gear to deflect the blame away from the club. It’s what we do.

I mean, that story about a Chinese club eyeing up Alexis…maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t that reek of Wenger and the club trying to whip up some invisible phantom force that’s unstoppable? It’s like he what he did with the oil baron clubs with unlimited resources and made us look powerless and vulnerable. Now it’s these Chinese clubs. A story went out earlier in the year where Wenger was warning the Prem about their spending power along. Now he’s in the press saying Alexis won’t go to China. Really? It’s the same tactic we saw with RVP. Slowly but surely, the blame will go on the players for not signing a new deal. Heck, we even saw it recently with Sagna and fans still fell into the trap.

You’re also right about Manure inflating the market. They’re the worst culprits and always have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    If you'd asked me who i said was more pivotal earlier in the year i'd have said Ozil, but tuesday night shows how pivotal that Sanchez is to our attacking play he has his markers chasing shadows and frees up so much space for those around him that he becomes invaluable to us.

Ozil's passing and vision is second to none in my view, but this is can be rather limited against sides who will spend the entire game doing all they can to close us down and deny us space. Ozil's ability to find players and assists are exceptional, but he is not providing many assists currently. I'd rather lose neither of them i think they perform together brilliantly and i think add a player like Lucas Perez into the mix we have an attack which bamboozles defences with it's trickery.
    Sounds like your starting to see where I’m coming from.

Ozil’s passing is very precise and he gets those acute angles but it’s more ball to feet type passes. It still leaves his team mate with a lot of work to do.

If I were Wenger and trying to find a cheaper alternative, I’d try to get Cesc from Chelsea. He can play in that number 10 role and has a good knack for creating chances as well as ghosting into dangerous areas to score. Most won’t agree with this but I still think he’s the better passer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cesc doesnt have the legs Ozil has.

The movement Ozil has really helps Alexis a lot. This season for instance, Ozil is not really playing the #10. He is and Alexis are playing as dual false 9s most of the time with Alexis and is often time furthest player forward for Arsenal in front of him on the pass charts and heat maps.

They both need each other but Ozil's play is a big reason for Alexis' form and he has sacrificed a lot of his playmaking to accommodate Alexis. (which is why he is scoring more goals now)

And on top of that, Ozil is the most unique player in world football. You dont replace him. There is no cheap alternative out there. Its literally Ozil and thats it.

Its easy to miss out what Ozil is doing because the English speakiing media inundated with Ray Wilkins types.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    We could still win a big trophy, offer a stack of money and they still decide to leave us. They could sign another contract and agitate for a move after a season like Henry - there's no way of knowing. There is money to consider. Personal career achievements. Personal experience of wanting to play in another country. And family. There are two sides to the negotiation. We could put down he perfect package and it still might not be enough. We're spending on transfer fees like we never thought we would and currently paying wages above what we've expected in recent memory, so I'm really doubtful money will be the deciding factor here at all.
    Perhaps, but the chances of that happening are a lot lower than if we weren't to offer a stack of money. And we could at least (legitimately) then claim we tried our hardest and did all we could to keep them.

Unless we're outright insulting in our offers (and honestly I wouldn't put it past Wenger/Gazidis) I do genuinely think there's an inherent bias for them to stay in a place where things are going well for them. A lot of it is massaging their egos and making them feel special. It must be annoying for them seeing filth like Wazza on bigger deals than them whilst their lighting it up week after week so we need to at least offer some kind of parity to that level.

Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post

Alexis and it's a no brainer. It's hard but you can find a replacement for Ozil.

There simply isn't an available replacement in world football right now for what Alexis gives to us. But their futures are inexplicably linked to one another and if we lose one, the chances are that the other may decide to go so we HAVE TO KEEP BOTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Gazidis and Wenger still seem out of touch. Some of the statements over the summer were unbelievable and we still went about doing our business the usual way. All so last minute and spending a good chunk of money on players that might not even fit in with our style of play. I’m sure they sense that there will be an outcry if we lose Sanchez and Ozil but I also suspect they’ve kicked the media PR machine into 4th gear to deflect the blame away from the club. It’s what we do.

I mean, that story about a Chinese club eyeing up Alexis…maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t that reek of Wenger and the club trying to whip up some invisible phantom force that’s unstoppable? It’s like he what he did with the oil baron clubs with unlimited resources and made us look powerless and vulnerable. Now it’s these Chinese clubs. A story went out earlier in the year where Wenger was warning the Prem about their spending power along. Now he’s in the press saying Alexis won’t go to China. Really? It’s the same tactic we saw with RVP. Slowly but surely, the blame will go on the players for not signing a new deal. Heck, we even saw it recently with Sagna and fans still fell into the trap.

You’re also right about Manure inflating the market. They’re the worst culprits and always have been.
    Well the club did also cave in on Theo's demands a few years back probably to stave of a similar revolt and our financial power is a lot better than then, not to mention that Ozil/Alexis are far more important than Theo was so I don't think it's a lost cause just yet to expect Wenger/Gazidis to back down.

And interesting take on the China story. Would have thought it would have been Alexis' people to "leak/make it up" in order to increase the pressure on the club to up their offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Alexis and it's a no brainer. It's hard but you can find a replacement for Ozil.

There simply isn't an available replacement in world football right now for what Alexis gives to us. But their futures are inexplicably linked to one another and if we lose one, the chances are that the other may decide to go so we HAVE TO KEEP BOTH!
    who is a player like Ozil?

You could replace Alexis with Reus or even sign Aubameyang to play CF.

Cesc Fabregas is not Ozil. Madrid never replaced Ozil. Who is that player that fits Ozil's profile in world football?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Sounds like your starting to see where I’m coming from.

Ozil’s passing is very precise and he gets those acute angles but it’s more ball to feet type passes. It still leaves his team mate with a lot of work to do.

If I were Wenger and trying to find a cheaper alternative, I’d try to get Cesc from Chelsea. He can play in that number 10 role and has a good knack for creating chances as well as ghosting into dangerous areas to score. Most won’t agree with this but I still think he’s the better passer.
    I wouldn't go as far as that, I think he's just as adept at lobbed passing as he is ball to feet passing

My comment is based on his current form relative to that of Alexis Sanchez