Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermind84 View Post
    who is a player like Ozil?

You could replace Alexis with Reus or even sign Aubameyang to play CF.

Cesc Fabregas is not Ozil. Madrid never replaced Ozil. Who is that player that fits Ozil's profile in world football?
    Madrid won two CL titles after Ozil left. Dont think it is right to say 'they never replaced him'.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    Madrid won two CL titles after Ozil left. Dont think it is right to say 'they never replaced him'.
    They didnt replace him.

They play a different football style now than before with Ozil. They won two CLs with one of the runs being as flukey as United's 2011 run to the CL final.

Ideally we dont have to replace either, but Ozil is probably the greatest player we've had since Henry because of how influential he is for everyone. His appreciation of space is the key to a lot of our attacking play. He is the only player I have ever seen create chances without touching the ball, and is doing that intentionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didnt replace him.

They play a different football style now than before with Ozil. They won two CLs with one of the runs being as flukey as United's 2011 run to the CL final.

Ideally we dont have to replace either, but Ozil is probably the greatest player we've had since Henry because of how influential he is for everyone. His appreciation of space is the key to a lot of our attacking play. He is the only player I have ever seen create chances without touching the ball, and is doing that intentionally.
    I think its a big statement to call him the greatest player since Henry when he has only been here 3 seasons, one of which he was above average at best (his first season). And yes, ideally we wont have to replace either, but knowing Arsenal, what are the odds we will keep both? If I were forced to put a bet, I'd almost certainly put down a bet on one of them leaving next season.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    I think its a big statement to call him the greatest player since Henry when he has only been here 3 seasons, one of which he was above average at best (his first season). And yes, ideally we wont have to replace either, but knowing Arsenal, what are the odds we will keep both? If I were forced to put a bet, I'd almost certainly put down a bet on one of them leaving next season.
    I feel very confident saying he is better than everyone we have had here since Henry. His first season here, we won the FA Cup. The first trophy of any kind this club has won since 2005.

The guy is a special player.

If Arsenal wants to be an elite club and compete for the top honors, both have to be re-signed. Johnny Taylor said "ITs cheaper to keep her," and in the case of Ozil and Sanchez it is much cheaper to pay them their worth and try and replace them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel very confident saying he is better than everyone we have had here since Henry. His first season here, we won the FA Cup. The first trophy of any kind this club has won since 2005.

The guy is a special player.

If Arsenal wants to be an elite club and compete for the top honors, both have to be re-signed. Johnny Taylor said "ITs cheaper to keep her," and in the case of Ozil and Sanchez it is much cheaper to pay them their worth and try and replace them.
    Ozil the best player we have had since Henry? Not even close...peak Cesc was better than him, he was blitzing it with assists and goals...

RVP too was better than him or more crucial to the team.

Don't get me wrong Ozil is a very good player and someone who we need to move forward but he's not our best since Henry IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didnt replace him.

Ozil’s style is too subtle and too dependent on his own team mates being able to exploit the space he creates. It’s why things didn’t work with Giroud and if he were to play for a lower team like West Ham or Southampton, he’d have to be more proactive. Sanchez would be a beast where ever he goes. It helps that he has quality around him, but as seen with Chile, he’ll impose himself on the game.

I disagree with the idea that Sanchez is scoring more because of Ozil. Look at his recent hat trick. Not saying Ozil has no involvement but it’s taking a lot a way from Sanchez. His assists are often overlooked as well. He’d succeed in any Arsenal line up. I’m not sure if that’s the case for Ozil. Also, it’s not as if we haven’t seen this level of football before. In fact, most here would agree that our style is a lot worse than what it was when we had Cesc, RVP, Ade and Rosicky. We’d create so many chances it even had people here convinced Chamakh was a good signing when he scored something like 10 goals in his first few months.

For me, Sanchez is the best player we’ve signed singe Henry. Cesc and RVP after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cesc and RvC were very, very good at their peaks. RvC more so, he was close to having that special sauce that really marks out the elite players. The special ability you can see in Ozil every time the ball arrives at his feet. Ozil just knows the game. It pisses people off how well he knows the game, they mistake it for a lack of effort. Get the ball, control it without a thought because, fuck, that's the very least a professional should be able to do, right? Wrong - take a look around. Take the ball, already in the knowledge of what is happening on the pitch. Find the pass if it exists, keep possession if it does not. Ozil's game depends so much on who is around him. Cesc had fearsome weapons around him, for some of the time at least. Ozil has had, until recently, Giroud and Theo. But now we see what happens when another player right on the verge of that elite status, Alexis, is moved into a prominent role. The electricity is really flowing now between the two. Finally we have a use for Ozil, the precision instrument. Xhaka could be the next player on that wavelength, once he tunes in, if he's allowed to tune in. This is how great teams are built, with great players. Not with good or flashy players - but with great players. Ozil is a great player. Hard to judge him like for like because there's nobody we've had like him. Closest would not be Cesc or RvC - rather Pires. He was another marvellous player, on another level.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Ozil the best player we have had since Henry? Not even close...peak Cesc was better than him, he was blitzing it with assists and goals...

RVP too was better than him or more crucial to the team.

Don't get me wrong Ozil is a very good player and someone who we need to move forward but he's not our best since Henry IMO.
    I agree with you on RVP and Cesc. I thought that would be an unpopular opinion. But we saw some magic from those guys. Performances that really carried the team. If Wenger had taken the FA Cup more seriously back then and we had easier draws, they'd have won at least one FA Cup. But they've won the league title since and both played pivotal parts to winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel_Quinn View Post
    Cesc and RvC were very, very good at their peaks. RvC more so, he was close to having that special sauce that really marks out the elite players. The special ability you can see in Ozil every time the ball arrives at his feet. Ozil just knows the game. It pisses people off how well he knows the game, they mistake it for a lack of effort. Get the ball, control it without a thought because, fuck, that's the very least a professional should be able to do, right? Wrong - take a look around. Take the ball, already in the knowledge of what is happening on the pitch. Find the pass if it exists, keep possession if it does not. Ozil's game depends so much on who is around him. Cesc had fearsome weapons around him, for some of the time at least. Ozil has had, until recently, Giroud and Theo. But now we see what happens when another player right on the verge of that elite status, Alexis, is moved into a prominent role. The electricity is really flowing now between the two. Finally we have a use for Ozil, the precision instrument. Xhaka could be the next player on that wavelength, once he tunes in, if he's allowed to tune in. This is how great teams are built, with great players. Not with good or flashy players - but with great players. Ozil is a great player. Hard to judge him like for like because there's nobody we've had like him. Closest would not be Cesc or RvC - rather Pires. He was another marvellous player, on another level.
    Cesc had shit around him all over the pitch. Lehman on decline only to be replaced by Almunia then Chesney. A terrible backline from Gallas, Toure, Vermaelen, Eboue, Clichy, Traore, Djourou, Senderos. Sagna was the best defender he played with. Kos played with Cesc but wasn't good until he formed a partnership with Merts.

I mention Eboue in defence but remember when Wenger would play him on the right wing? Gilberto was on the decline as well and could hardly pass the ball forward. Rosicky was often injured. He'd often be playing with Diaby, Denilson, Hleb and Nasri in the midfield. Walcott was often poor.

Up front we at least had strikers with some pace. But let's not forget the games where we were depending on Bendy and Chamakh! RVP was often injured and after one good season where we came close to winning the league, Ade fucked off shortly after. Giroud is a different striker but not shades below some of the guys we were used to seeing.

I'm amazed we finished top 4 with some of those guys when I think about it. But then again, the standard in the Prem was piss poor. But I still enjoyed the way we played. With unknown and inexperienced players, we really put the beating on some teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Cesc had shit around him all over the pitch. Lehman on decline only to be replaced by Almunia then Chesney. A terrible backline from Gallas, Toure, Vermaelen, Eboue, Clichy, Traore, Djourou, Senderos. Sagna was the best defender he played with. Kos played with Cesc but wasn't good until he formed a partnership with Merts.

I mention Eboue in defence but remember when Wenger would play him on the right wing? Gilberto was on the decline as well and could hardly pass the ball forward. Rosicky was often injured. He'd often be playing with Diaby, Denilson, Hleb and Nasri in the midfield. Walcott was often poor.

Up front we at least had strikers with some pace. But let's not forget the games where we were depending on Bendy and Chamakh! RVP was often injured and after one good season where we came close to winning the league, Ade fucked off shortly after. Giroud is a different striker but not shades below some of the guys we were used to seeing.

I'm amazed we finished top 4 with some of those guys when I think about it. But then again, the standard in the Prem was piss poor. But I still enjoyed the way we played. With unknown and inexperienced players, we really put the beating on some teams.
    Cesc started making a name for himself when Wiltord and Freddie were still in the shirt. And RvC and Arshavin. We THOUGHT we were on a downward slide back then but we had no idea what was to come and how bad it would get. Apart from RvC's one man season, this is the first time in years we've seen an upturn in the quality we have on the pitch. And that's down to 2 players, the ones we need to sign, no excuses, no bullshit.
    Für eure Sicherheit