User Tag List

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Whilst that kind of thing is totally what Mourinho does, the remarks he made were in response to the criticism Ozil received from english commentary team when playing for Germany in the world cup....saying they were expecting him to play a role that wasn't his.

Although i have long argued that Arsenal should revert to a more counter attacking style of play, i think Ozil's ability to pick out a pass that can completley cut out a defence, a vision to find players that few others can....i think that works whatever style is played.

The difference is in this current system he becomes over relied on, and when he doesn't perform well it has a detrimental effect on the whole attack.
    Isn't that why we have Xhaka? The pass to cut out 3 or 4 defenders sounds like something a CM should do. I think there is a difference between that and creating a clear cut goal scoring opportunity.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    No Xhaka is there to actually make it possible to instigate an attack if we win the ball back in our own half, Xhaka does not get that far forward generally.

What i will say about Xhaka is having him in the side will most likely also bring out the best in Ozil

A central midfield trio of Xhaka, Elneny and Ozil.....i think that would work a treat.

That's not to impugn a player like Cazorla, i think there are definite games where he is needed for us but at 31 i think last night showed that it's not a good idea to play him twice in one week.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    I also compare his good run last season to what we've seen from past players. Was it a one off because we've seen it happen before. Can we expect Ozil to produce at that level again?
    I'm sure I read that his assist stats over the last 5 or 6 years or so are the best in Europe so yes, it wasn't a one off.
    I have no idea why you're so desperate to downplay Ozil's contribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'm sure I read that his assist stats over the last 5 or 6 years or so are the best in Europe so yes, it wasn't a one off.
    I have no idea why you're so desperate to downplay Ozil's contribution.
    Because he's not that good.

Again, do you think he'll produce the same as he did last season and if he does, what good will it be if we don't have enough goal scorers on the pitch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, do you think he'll produce the same as he did last season and if he does, what good will it be if we don't have enough goal scorers on the pitch?
    That's not his fault, he can only do what he can do! I think that's why he's become a tad disinterested, lack of chances he makes put away. We had the most chances created trophy last season...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

But will those assist lead us to the title in CL? No. He's a good player but not the one we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermarvee View Post
    That's not his fault, he can only do what he can do! I think that's why he's become a tad disinterested, lack of chances he makes put away. We had the most chances created trophy last season...
    For sure. Which is why I question his place in the team. Plenty of teams have adapted a two man up front system. They don't use a number 10. It might be time for a radical change if this season goes south like the others.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I think we all have our pet dislikes in the squad, mine has consistently been Aaron Ramsey (although throw Ospina in for good measure)

It's fair to say In the case of P n G that player is Ozil, one of our longest arguments was about Ozil. I am arguably biased myself but on the other end of the spectrum, Ozil is far and away my favourite Arsenal player (used to be Tomas Rosicky) the amount of games I've watched high up in the stands where he's opened up the defence like a skeleton key by finding a pass that only with the benefit of aerial advantage that I could see was on.

I don't always agree with NQ but I think he's spot on here, if we can't make the best use of a player of Ozils calibre than its a damning inditement on the manager and contributes to why he looks so disinterested at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure. Which is why I question his place in the team. Plenty of teams have adapted a two man up front system. They don't use a number 10. It might be time for a radical change if this season goes south like the others.
    I'd say we should keep Ozil, but find a player who knows where the net is on an instinctive and regular basis. However, I don't think Ozil wants to be with us judging by his body language. How long has he got left on his contract?