User Tag List

Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    On a plate? As clear cut as the chances Cavani missed? I recall a lot of missed headers but nothing defence splitting where we missed sitters. He's far far away from Bergkamp's level and I'd say he's not even as good as Cesc.

When Henry described Bergkamp having the ability to put the ball in your path with the correct pace so you're not breaking a stride, on your stronger side so you're set up on your strong foot or so the ball is away from the defender.....I remember the same being described about Cesc's passing. I rarely see that from Ozil. Maybe it's because we don't have the type of players or we're having to operate with less space. I don't know. But it's rare for me to see a pass from Ozil that has me blown away.

Heck, thing of that Bergkamp assist to Freddie against Juve. It's even more sublime when I hear Dennis describe what he was doing and buying time for Freddie to make that run.
    Bergkamp 's pass for Vieira in that game at Stamford Bridge during our invincible season

Ozil is definitely a player we need for a 38 game season. However, I can somewhat understand the frustration of PnG. We expect more. We want to see those marauding runs he made for Germany in world cups gone by. We don't want to see him go missing in games against the likes of Chelsea, bayern and Barcelona. Even Manchester United this season, I'm guessing.

Watch this space
    Last edited by Ernesto; 14-09-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You're the one who started comparing him to Bergkamp
    And you're saying that the PL's leading assister for last season isn't making a significant impact on the team?
    And I've already produced the stats to show it wasn't a one off.

We get it, you don't like Ozil much for some bizarre reason. I don't like Ronaldo but I can't sensibly deny his talent. Stop being silly. He was the PL's leading assister last season, he is (or was, but he won't be far off) Europe's leading assister since 2010. And you're saying he's not that good? Behave.
    This season.

Do you think 20 assists will make a difference to this season?

The Bergkamp example was about comparing assists and what I consider to be a defence spitting chance to Ozil's cut back to Iwobi.

You've produced stats from the previous seasons. It goes back to whether he'd produce the same this season and whether that's enough to make a signicant impact on our style of play. I don't care if he wins the PL top assists award. I'd be happier if that produced something tangible for the whole squad at the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, what will it take to get the best out of Ozil? What do we need besides a new manager?
    A decent striker, more/better movement in front of him, feeding the ball to Ozil quicker when we win it back.

I'm not making any excuses for Ozil's performances this season, which have stunk, but we're handicapping him with our tactics and have done so since he joined. If you put him in that invincibles team in place of Bergkamp (who I do rate as a better player) he would thrive. He would get shitloads more assists playing in Henry. If you need any proof look at his assist record for Real, where he consistently out assisted Xavi and Iniesta. As a number 10 there's not muich better.

I can see the argument for replacing him for a second striker or someone who puts in more of a shift but I don't think that would make that much of a difference. Whoever comes in will struggle with our rotten system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    A different manager. Pretty much anyone will do, I mean not your Brendan Rodgers but anyone from competent through above average and on to decent. Pick one and you automatically get more out of every player because we'd be going out on the pitch drilled and with tactics and a gameplan suited to the opponent. In-game changes, sane rotational policies, team selections that hadn't come straight from the looney bin. All of these things would be an immediate benefit to every player in the squad. The we could settle down and look at really complex stuff that Wenger used to get before he went senile. Stuff like, if we pick pacy forwards then play a game built around pace up top.

This is where we absolutely must start before anything else can happen. It has become a complete waste of time talking about Arsenal and football in the same breath if that conversation hasn't been prefixed by Wenger Out!
    Besides a different manager, NQ. I said besides a different manager. But we can entertain that. If we signed Simeone, would Ozil still play as a number 10? Bear in mind he plays a 2 strikers up front and no number 10.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    It's not even beyond Wenger to get more out of him, I think Xhaka playing will mean he will get the ball quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    It's not even beyond Wenger to get more out of him, I think Xhaka playing will mean he will get the ball quicker.
    Yes, I think when Lucas is fully integrated he'll give him more to work with as well.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Bergkamp 's pass for Vieira in that game at Stamford Bridge during our invincible season

Ozil is definitely a player we need for a 38 game season. However, I can somewhat understand the frustration of PnG. We expect more. We want to see those marauding runs he made for Germany in world cups gone by. We don't want to see him go missing in games against the likes of Chelsea, bayern and Barcelona. Even Manchester United this season, I'm guessing.

Watch this space
    Dennis was the man! Ozil is frustrating because I feel like he could contribute a lot more with his skillset. When I watch him play, I often think he plays more like a CM rather than a AM. We can only hope he pushes on this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This season.

Do you think 20 assists will make a difference to this season?
    Do I think 20 goals will make a difference this season. Well yes, of course. Do I think it will by the difference between winning the league and not?
    No, but our failure to win the league this season is nothing to do with Ozil, it's because we don't have a top striker.
    Ozil is one of the most effective players in his position in the world. Our problems lie elsewhere.
    It's a bit like blaming the head waiter on The Titanic for it sinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bergkamp had the best back four and goalie in England behind him and later, Pires, Henry, Viera and Llungberg who would have been on the same page as him.. Different times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermarvee View Post
    Bergkamp had the best back four and goalie in England behind him and later, Pires, Henry, Viera and Llungberg who would have been on the same page as him.. Different times.
    Different times but I’m more so comparing the quality in assists and chances created. It’s not even exclusive to Bergkamp because I’m also comparing the way PSG were able to open us up last night. It’s not about the achievements.