User Tag List

Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozil got his new contact because we were left in between a rock and a hard place due to amateur contract dealings by the club, we'd pretty much lost Sanchez (so lost 35 odd million) and we were about to lose someone else who we paid 42 million for, with no money for a replacement, from a fans point of view it would have been a disaster likewise for the club.

Ironically we've done it again with Ramsey.

On top of that we've handed Xhaka a new contract when we should have just sold him, now we'll be lumbered with him for years. The clubs transfer business needs a massive overhaul because allowing the situation to reoccur with Ramsey was pretty awful, we should have just sold him last summer, it now looks like he'll leave on a free next summer and we'll miss out on 35 million, which considering our spend last summer and potentially no CL football again is a disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have paid out over £42 mil for him by the time his contract is up so he'd better do something in that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Ozil got his new contact because we were left in between a rock and a hard place due to amateur contract dealings by the club, we'd pretty much lost Sanchez (so lost 35 odd million) and we were about to lose someone else who we paid 42 million for, with no money for a replacement, from a fans point of view it would have been a disaster likewise for the club.

Ironically we've done it again with Ramsey.

On top of that we've handed Xhaka a new contract when we should have just sold him, now we'll be lumbered with him for years. The clubs transfer business needs a massive overhaul because allowing the situation to reoccur with Ramsey was pretty awful, we should have just sold him last summer, it now looks like he'll leave on a free next summer and we'll miss out on 35 million, which considering our spend last summer and potentially no CL football again is a disaster.
    But you rate Ozil as a player and I'm sure at the time you would have thought the club have done the right thing by giving him a new contract. For once, we retained a 'star player' and weren't forced into selling a rival.

What exactly have we done again with Ramsey? I don't get the comparison outside of him being down to his last year on his contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    But you rate Ozil as a player and I'm sure at the time you would have thought the club have done the right thing by giving him a new contract. For once, we retained a 'star player' and weren't forced into selling a rival.

What exactly have we done again with Ramsey? I don't get the comparison outside of him being down to his last year on his contract.
    I didn't have a problem with re-signing Ozil, I was just saying the club had no choice due to the situation, had he had a few years left on his contract they could have sold him and replaced him.

We've basically let him run down his contract meaning we now either let him go for nothing and loss the transfer fee, or pay him what he wants. We could/should have sold him last summer and got a fee, I'd argue we should have either got him to sign 2 years ago or sold him then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have a problem with re-signing Ozil, I was just saying the club had no choice due to the situation, had he had a few years left on his contract they could have sold him and replaced him.

We've basically let him run down his contract meaning we now either let him go for nothing and loss the transfer fee, or pay him what he wants. We could/should have sold him last summer and got a fee, I'd argue we should have either got him to sign 2 years ago or sold him then.
    You've seen how long this thread has been going and know I don't rate Ozil highly at all. We should have sold him when he had two years left on his deal, but I'm in the minority with that opinion. The argument has always been that if we surrounded him with better quality players, he'd flourish. I don't believe we should have signed a player up to a major deal if he consistently produces 5's, 6's and 7 performances on the pitch but you rarely see 8-10 performances from him and need to spend even more money on other players just so he can perform at that elite level. That wasn't smart and the club should have stepped in and stopped Wenger's madness a lot earlier.

Ramsey isn't in the same position as Ozil. This isn't unique to our club either. A lot of players get down to the last year of their deal and truth be told, Ramsey isn't a good player and that's reflected in the demand for him. He's not a household name and if we lose him for peanuts we haven't lost much because we paid peanuts for him. What's similar to Ozil, is that nobody has made a firm approach for him and we'd be making a serious mistake if we offered him a new deal that includes a massive pay rise. We should avoid that at all costs. I don't care if he has to go on a free transfer. The £35m price tag is phantom money. Nobody has made a bid for him. Not even a last minute transfer deadline day rumour about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've seen how long this thread has been going and know I don't rate Ozil highly at all. We should have sold him when he had two years left on his deal, but I'm in the minority with that opinion. The argument has always been that if we surrounded him with better quality players, he'd flourish. I don't believe we should have signed a player up to a major deal if he consistently produces 5's, 6's and 7 performances on the pitch but you rarely see 8-10 performances from him and need to spend even more money on other players just so he can perform at that elite level. That wasn't smart and the club should have stepped in and stopped Wenger's madness a lot earlier.

Ramsey isn't in the same position as Ozil. This isn't unique to our club either. A lot of players get down to the last year of their deal and truth be told, Ramsey isn't a good player and that's reflected in the demand for him. He's not a household name and if we lose him for peanuts we haven't lost much because we paid peanuts for him. What's similar to Ozil, is that nobody has made a firm approach for him and we'd be making a serious mistake if we offered him a new deal that includes a massive pay rise. We should avoid that at all costs. I don't care if he has to go on a free transfer. The £35m price tag is phantom money. Nobody has made a bid for him. Not even a last minute transfer deadline day rumour about him.
    I agree with you totally about Ozil and Ramsey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely.

Ozil is currently the second highest paid player in PL behind Sanchez, he earns almost 100k more a week than the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne and Aguero.

Ozil and his agent absolutely took us to the cleaners with his new deal, it really is bonkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I know that, I don't disagree with that, but I feel the same about any player if the club can't come to an agreement with them, especially because we don't seem to have much money floating about, if we had an owner who invested I wouldn't care so much because money can come from elsewhere, but as we know Kroenke isn't interested in investing.

So you suggest we should have just lost Sanchez and Ozil for nothing then? If that had happened the fans would have gone nuts and the club knew it, so they couldn't let it happen, the poor planning put us in this situation, again we could have sold Sanchez a year ago (or two maybe) but we didn't and ended up having to settle for a player we probably wouldn't have signed otherwise, it's all down to poor planning by the club.

A for Ramsey, like him or loathe him had we had him under contract we'd have got 40 million for him at least and even last summer perhaps 30 million which considering the fact we seem to not spend a huge amount could have been important, you can't just write off 30-40 million because you don't rate him, it would be better to get money for him because we could at least re-invest, now we'll get nothing.

Ramsey definitely has his admirers, you might not rate him but others do, we got money for Walcott and the guy was a total dud (you can even see it now at Everton), so we'd have got money for Ramsey for sure.

As for being unique to our club, I haven't seen many clubs let their best players walk away for nothing, usually they sell them at least with a year left on their contract (Courtois for example, but Chelsea have money available from their owner as well), so that they get some money in.
    Last edited by Özim; 21-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Absolutely.

Ozil is currently the second highest paid player in PL behind Sanchez, he earns almost 100k more a week than the likes of Hazard, De Bruyne and Aguero.

Ozil and his agent absolutely took us to the cleaners with his new deal, it really is bonkers.
    They did, but they knew they could as we were on the verge of losing our two most expensive players for nothing, it's the clubs fault really, had they planned we could have sold him and replaced him with the money we received, instead we had a choice of letting him go for nothing and the fan going crazy or signing him up to quieten the fan revolt down somewhat.

This club doesn't want to spend, but is happy to waste whatever we are able to spend on huge contracts and losing players for nothing, it's amateurish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know that, I don't disagree with that, but I feel the same about any player if the club can't come to an agreement with them, especially because we don't seem to have much money floating about, if we had an owner who invested I wouldn't care so much because money can come from elsewhere, but as we know Kroenke isn't interested in investing.

So you suggest we should have just lost Sanchez and Ozil for nothing then? If that had happened the fans would have gone nuts and the club knew it, so they couldn't let it happen, the poor planning put us in this situation, again we could have sold Sanchez a year ago (or two maybe) but we didn't and ended up having to settle for a player we probably wouldn't have signed otherwise, it's all down to poor planning by the club.

A for Ramsey, like him or loathe him had we had him under contract we'd have got 40 million for him at least and even last summer perhaps 30 million which considering the fact we seem to not spend a huge amount could have been important, you can't just write off 30-40 million because you don't rate him, it would be better to get money for him because we could at least re-invest, now we'll get nothing.

Ramsey definitely has his admirers, you might not rate him but others do, we got money for Walcott and the guy was a total dud (you can even see it now at Everton), so we'd have got money for Ramsey for sure.

As for being unique to our club, I haven't seen many clubs let their best players walk away for nothing, usually they sell them at least with a year left on their contract (Courtois for example, but Chelsea have money available from their owner as well), so that they get some money in.
    No, I'm not suggesting we should have lost both players for free. Where did you get that from? For Ozil, I said we should have sold him when he had two years left on his deal. The focus should have been on trying to sign up Sanchez because he kept some sort of value even when he had less than a year on his contract. Value in his contribution on the pitch and his transfer fee. I can't say the same for Ozil or Ramsey. Neither have attracted any sort of attention in the final days. No swap offers, no low ball offers, nothing. If a player is in high demand, clubs don't wait until the player is out of contract so they can battle it out with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, in a bidding war. Way too much risk involved.

But saying all this, it's a lose lose situation whatever the club does in your eyes. If we sell, you'd complain about it, if we keep them at all costs, you'll say we have handled business badly and overspent. Which is what we have done with Ozil. There is no outcome I can see here that would satisfy you. And I have no idea where this late loving for Ramsey has come from. The guy is pants.