User Tag List

Page 71 of 77 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, Ozil's performances are often qualified by the hipsters by the things us simple folk don't see. Like finding pockets of space, what a player!

As far as I'm concerned for us, Cesc was way better at the things Ozil is perceived to do.

I feel like this guy has become such a weight around the neck of the team now, if we sold him I think we could certainly find a more effective attacking midfielder. Maybe even 2 players with his wages off the bill.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 23-08-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Also, despite what people said about the Giroud and Ozil partnership, Giroud still remains to be the best partner for Ozil where he picked up the most assists in a season. Ozil hasn't been great at splitting defences with through balls. Despite us all clamoring for that number 9 striker that can also play off the shoulder of a defender, Ozil still hasn't been able to feed our pacey strong strikers. His best weapon for assists are cut backs into the box and crosses. That was bread and butter for Giroud who thrived off poacher one touch strikes when the ball was cut back to him or powering through on headers or scorpion kicks.
    This is what I'm finding most frustrating with Özil (and our whole attack) at the moment - we've got Aubameyang who arrives first and gets about as close to the goal line as I've ever seen at times, we've got Lacazette who has a knack for ghosting in unseen at the back post a moment later, and we have Ramsey who has always been most effective making late runs into the area - in theory, Özil should have the ideal spread of players there to pick out with low crosses and cut-backs, all hitting different points in the box at slightly staggered times, but for some reason the 4 of them just don't click.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much patience I have for it now. Even if the 4 of them gel perfectly, it still leaves us with an awkward team shape that would require an incredible amount of flexibility and fluidity in the final third, which leaves us a little exposed down the flanks, defensively - the hope would have to be that the attack is potent enough to make it worth it. That's the best case scenario there. If it doesn't work out like that often enough to justify it, then I'm just not sure it's worth persevering with.

And if we're not going to persevere with it then I'm not sure where that leaves Özil (or Ramsey for that matter)? His best bet at the moment looks like trying to repurpose himself into a different role, but at 2 months shy of being 30 (and with a nice, long, 300k/week contract to sit on), I just question whether he has it in him to make such a change? I mean, he barely seems like he can be bothered playing his favoured number 10 role half the time, so what chance do we have of motivating him to play wide, or maybe even deeper, where he might have to do more running and defending? Moreover, is it even worth the coach's time trying to make it happen, or would he be better of putting that energy into a younger, cheaper, more willing option who has more long-term potential?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 23-08-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this talk about Ozil, but in fact the reason we lost at the weekend was firstly because Aubameyang missed quite a few sitters and secondly and most importantly because the defence was shocking again, 5 goals conceded in 2 games isn't exactly great. Had we had a decent defence we'd have probably won, so I'd suggest the defence is the issue not the attack.

People love to go in on him, I'm not saying he was great, far from it but he wasn't really a massive issue. It was alwasy a risk to not really buy top quality in defence and that will beour downfall, Mustafi is rubbish, Bellerin can't defend and Sokratis might be OK with someone decent alongside but in the current lineup he's struggling somewhat. 5 goals conceded in 2 games and to be honest if City had their shooting boots on it woud have been a lot more!
    Last edited by Özim; 23-08-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    This is what I'm finding most frustrating with Özil (and our whole attack) at the moment - we've got Aubameyang who arrives first and gets about as close to the goal line as I've ever seen at times, we've got Lacazette who has a knack for ghosting in unseen at the back post a moment later, and we have Ramsey who has always been most effective making late runs into the area - in theory, Özil should have the ideal spread of players there to pick out with low crosses and cut-backs, all hitting different points in the box at slightly staggered times, but for some reason the 4 of them just don't click.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much patience I have for it now. Even if the 4 of them gel perfectly, it still leaves us with an awkward team shape that would require an incredible amount of flexibility and fluidity in the final third, which leaves us a little exposed down the flanks, defensively - the hope would have to be that the attack is potent enough to make it worth it. That's the best case scenario there. If it doesn't work out like that often enough to justify it, then I'm just not sure it's worth persevering with.

And if we're not going to persevere with it then I'm not sure where that leaves Özil (or Ramsey for that matter)? His best bet at the moment looks like trying to repurpose himself into a different role, but at 2 months shy of being 30 (and with a nice, long, 300k/week contract to sit on), I just question whether he has it in him to make such a change? I mean, he barely seems like he can be bothered playing his favoured number 10 role half the time, so what chance do we have of motivating him to play wide, or maybe even deeper, where he might have to do more running and defending? Moreover, is it even worth the coach's time trying to make it happen, or would he be better of putting that energy into a younger, cheaper, more willing option who has more long-term potential?
    I wouldn't worry about Ramsey to be honest, if he's not somehow sold in the next week or so he'll go on a free next summer so won't be an issue. This discussion is pretty pointless as Ozil will be going nowhere, having given him a big contract the club won't be letting him go anytime soon, Mhkitaryan is more likely to make way, he's almost 30 as well and what we really need is a winger rather than another lightweight central player, I'm not sure the club really wanted him in the 1st place, but they basically had to get something back from losing Sanchez and that's the best they could get.

Would I mind if we sold Ozil, but at the same time, there's probably at least half a dozen names I'd get rid of before him.
    Last edited by Özim; 23-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

Exactly. Not sure why it's not clicking. I don't think Ozil can play wide and the type of passer he is makes me think he'd be more involved as a CM. But if he can't defend and is too lightweight, that will probably backfire. Also, I'd rather see Guendouzi play as CM. Clock is ticking for him. Emery can't indulge him too much. If he allows him to keep putting in 5's and 6's but is starting every game, it will cause problem in the dressing room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    All this talk about Ozil, but in fact the reason we lost at the weekend was firstly because Aubameyang missed quite a few sitters and secondly and most importantly because the defence was shocking again, 5 goals conceded in 2 games isn't exactly great. Had we had a decent defence we'd have probably won, so I'd suggest the defence is the issue not the attack.

People love to go in on him, I'm not saying he was great, far from it but he wasn't really a massive issue. It was alwasy a risk to not really buy top quality in defence and that will beour downfall, Mustafi is rubbish, Bellerin can't defend and Sokratis might be OK with someone decent alongside but in the current lineup he's struggling somewhat. 5 goals conceded in 2 games and to be honest if City had their shooting boots on it woud have been a lot more!
    The problem is that the fact that other players had an off day (and for Mustafi this seems to be the default position) does not excuse Ozil. Even accepting that his forte is the assist, its par for the course for this type of player that he needs to keep plugging away whether or not the strikers are firing. And as I say, it is reasonable to expect Ozil to be a game changer consistently - and there is no doubt that he is falling short of this expectation. I'm getting a bit frustrated by this idea that either we cannot see what Ozil is bringing to the team, or that he is being let down by team mates. Why should Ozil get the benefit of the doubt, where Ramsey - a player that many critics see in a similar light (ie less obvious the important role he performs) isn't? This wouldn't happen with another team - look at the criticism Pogba is getting at Manure for example. It is simple really - the evidence is that Ozil is not justifying his price tag.

I explained above why I do not necessarity blame the Club for Ozil's mega contract - he benefitted from fairly extreme circumstances when he re-signed. I think also that we have little choice but to try to get the best out of him. But if it turns out that 2 different managers cannot do so, then the fault surely rests with the player, and there cannot be any excuses for him.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The thing is, Ozil's performances are often qualified by the hipsters by the things us simple folk don't see. Like finding pockets of space, what a player!

As far as I'm concerned for us, Cesc was way better at the things Ozil is perceived to do.

I feel like this guy has become such a weight around the neck of the team now, if we sold him I think we could certainly find a more effective attacking midfielder. Maybe even 2 players with his wages off the bill.
    I've never seen so much praise for 5 yard passes and a player that hides from receving the ball, but it's finessed as his 'appreciation for space and uneducated fans and players just not understanding his art. Midfield is a high touch position and unless you're banging in goals like Frank Lampard, you shouldn't be able to get away with ghosting around the pitch, playing 5 yard passes like Elneny, weak and as lazy as Denilson but because it's Ozil, we should appreciate the offering. Rubbish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    The problem is that the fact that other players had an off day (and for Mustafi this seems to be the default position) does not excuse Ozil. Even accepting that his forte is the assist, its par for the course for this type of player that he needs to keep plugging away whether or not the strikers are firing. And as I say, it is reasonable to expect Ozil to be a game changer consistently - and there is no doubt that he is falling short of this expectation. I'm getting a bit frustrated by this idea that either we cannot see what Ozil is bringing to the team, or that he is being let down by team mates. Why should Ozil get the benefit of the doubt, where Ramsey - a player that many critics see in a similar light (ie less obvious the important role he performs) isn't? This wouldn't happen with another team - look at the criticism Pogba is getting at Manure for example. It is simple really - the evidence is that Ozil is not justifying his price tag.

I explained above why I do not necessarity blame the Club for Ozil's mega contract - he benefitted from fairly extreme circumstances when he re-signed. I think also that we have little choice but to try to get the best out of him. But if it turns out that 2 different managers cannot do so, then the fault surely rests with the player, and there cannot be any excuses for him.
    Add Lowe to the list of managers. He's been off the pace for Germany for a while now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Add Lowe to the list of managers. He's been off the pace for Germany for a while now.
    Could be that his best days are simply behind him? Hope not.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Could be that his best days are simply behind him? Hope not.
    It's possible. He's no spring chicken. We have to find a solution though. That solution doesn't necessarily have to end with Ozil on the pitch all the time. Hopefully, he can get his act together under Emery. Ozil has some serious talent but it's rare to see him tap into all that he is capable of. Reminds me of Nasri.