User Tag List

Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 LastLast

Thread: Ozil - Do we need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Ozil is on 350k per week, he earns "elite" player money, like top 10 world class player money. Is he delivering?
    No.And with the price tag comes a lack of excuses.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Never a doubt in my mind Ozil is failing to live up to his potential. I could care less about how much he earns and it’s strange so many non-ticket holders harp on about it. The biggest disappointment is he doesn’t live up the talent he possesses. I’m not sure if it’s appication, if the league is too fast for his style of play or if it’s also perception and expectations on the part of the fans. Maybe it’s a combination of all three. Either way, I wouldn’t miss him if he left - as long as we had a replacement player added to the squad of some description.
    Agreed. I don’t think it’s a lack of application, Ozil’s running stats are always up there, to call him lazy is a lazy criticism in it itself. I just that I don’t think he’s THAT good. I look at other playmakers and think wow, with Ozil I’m often left scratching my head as to what he’s actually doing. Then again I’m not some footballing hipster so maybe I don’t understand his invisible genius.

So many excuses are wheeled out for this guy. It’s always some external factors that prevent him from showing his undoubted talent consistently. It’s never about him just not being good enough or to be more precise, as good as we feel he can be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never a doubt in my mind Ozil is failing to live up to his potential. I could care less about how much he earns and it’s strange so many non-ticket holders harp on about it. The biggest disappointment is he doesn’t live up the talent he possesses. I’m not sure if it’s appication, if the league is too fast for his style of play or if it’s also perception and expectations on the part of the fans. Maybe it’s a combination of all three. Either way, I wouldn’t miss him if he left - as long as we had a replacement player added to the squad of some description.
    I care, he has set the bar to what a supposed top player at Arsenal should earn and he isn't really delivering top player performances.

Do you think when it comes to renegotiating a player who is delivering top performances they are going to accept a wage less than Ozil at his current level?

Why is it strange if non-ticket holders harp on about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I care, he has set the bar to what a supposed top player at Arsenal should earn and he isn't really delivering top player performances.

Do you think when it comes to renegotiating a player who is delivering top performances they are going to accept a wage less than Ozil at his current level?

Why is it strange if non-ticket holders harp on about it?
    The finances of the club have no bearing on our lives. Every wage is ridiculous, be it £50k a week, or £500k. Where do you draw the line on what is normal or absurd now? It’s impossible.

I no longer care what the club spend on wages and fees because it’s all sickening. As long as you turn up and show your ability on match day that’s all I have interest in. We are so far removed from the inner workings of the club there’s no way of knowing what they’d do with the money if it wasn’t spent on a wage like Ozil’s.

The fact he isn’t living up to his talent is of more concern to me before his bank balance, as the former impacts my enjoyment as a fan directly. What he gets paid doesn’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Agreed. I don’t think it’s a lack of application, Ozil’s running stats are always up there, to call him lazy is a lazy criticism in it itself. I just that I don’t think he’s THAT good. I look at other playmakers and think wow, with Ozil I’m often left scratching my head as to what he’s actually doing. Then again I’m not some footballing hipster so maybe I don’t understand his invisible genius.

So many excuses are wheeled out for this guy. It’s always some external factors that prevent him from showing his undoubted talent consistently. It’s never about him just not being good enough or to be more precise, as good as we feel he can be.
    Definitely agree about calliing a player lazy, being lazy in itself. Although, I think it was Raphael Honigstein who was talking about another player last season and spoke about how some players are able to get their running stats up as they know they are being monitored and make pointless runs and moves just to pad the stats. I’m not saying Ozil does that, but it’s an interesting idea that undercuts the idea of how important some of these millions of stats we are bombarded with really are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The finances of the club have no bearing on our lives. Every wage is ridiculous, be it £50k a week, or £500k. Where do you draw the line on what is normal or absurd now? It’s impossible.

I no longer care what the club spend on wages and fees because it’s all sickening. As long as you turn up and show your ability on match day that’s all I have interest in. We are so far removed from the inner workings of the club there’s no way of knowing what they’d do with the money if it wasn’t spent on a wage like Ozil’s.

The fact he isn’t living up to his talent is of more concern to me before his bank balance, as the former impacts my enjoyment as a fan directly. What he gets paid doesn’t.
    Neither mine.

My point was that I hope this crazy wage we've given to Ozil doesn't impact us on re-negotiating other players salaries or players we want to bring in. That's what concerns me.

If Ozil was performing to the level expected of a 350K per week player I wouldn't be so concerned but he isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    No.And with the price tag comes a lack of excuses.
    Exactly. Ozil has become a major problem for us IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither mine.

My point was that I hope this crazy wage we've given to Ozil doesn't impact us on re-negotiating other players salaries or players we want to bring in. That's what concerns me.

If Ozil was performing to the level expected of a 350K per week player I wouldn't be so concerned but he isn't.
    But again, there’s no way of knowing whether it would or not. It’s an existential worry that can’t be answered. Some fans would say we have the funds to pay anything to anyone but choose not to. Others would say we don’t have the cash at all. We were paying stupid money to Theo for heavens sake. And loads of overrated youngsters who hadnt proven themselves in the game. It’s a worry not even worth being concerned about over what he does on the pitch. At least we can see for ourselves there. Everything else is just gossip and rumour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But again, there’s no way of knowing whether it would or not. It’s an existential worry that can’t be answered. Some fans would say we have the funds to pay anything to anyone but choose not to. Others would say we don’t have the cash at all. We were paying stupid money to Theo for heavens sake. And loads of overrated youngsters who hadnt proven themselves in the game. It’s a worry not even worth being concerned about over what he does on the pitch. At least we can see for ourselves there. Everything else is just gossip and rumour.
    New league wage rules have put a cap on how much clubs can spend on wages. The Ozil wage situation is more important than you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Agreed. I don’t think it’s a lack of application, Ozil’s running stats are always up there, to call him lazy is a lazy criticism in it itself. I just that I don’t think he’s THAT good. I look at other playmakers and think wow, with Ozil I’m often left scratching my head as to what he’s actually doing. Then again I’m not some footballing hipster so maybe I don’t understand his invisible genius...
    OK, controversial statement alert, but I’m not actually sure I’d class Özil as a playmaker? He gets a lot of assists, and sometimes they are genuinely mercurial, but by definition an assist doesn’t have to be anything more than the final pass, and he pads his numbers out with a lot of those too (along with set piece deliveries).

When I think back to how Bergkamp used to play, he didn’t always get the final pass or claim the assist, but he was an expert at taking the ball under pressure and then playing the key pass that would blow the opposition apart and take half their team out of the game - that’s what I’m looking out for in potential playmakers, and in this era of high pressing I think you mostly find that in deep midfield now (which is probably why we’re seeing so many small, technical attacking midfielders making the switch to that area).

I actually think Özil would make a bloody good winger, if he’d just give it a try and really embrace it? He’s an exceptional dribbler, we know he can play those final passes and rack up assists for fun, and he’s deceptively quick when he wants to be (without being blistering). Unfortunately, I doubt we’ll see it happen though.

The only other long-term option I see for him is trying to reinvent himself as a deep midfielder, as per the above, because I don’t think that traditional 10 role really exists any more (not behind the striker and not at the top clubs, anyway)? Again, though, I doubt we’ll see it.

Not sure what else that leaves? We either shape the team around his need to play as a 10 (which strikes me as a short-term option), or it’s benchville, which does no one any favours.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 29-08-2018 at 06:12 PM.