User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of Serge for 5mil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting rid of Serge for 5mil

Does anyone else think this was a stupid decision to make. I mean 5mil for a 19 year old german international is a very low sum in todays market. It feels as if werder robbbed us. I hope there is a buy back clause.
    [B]Check out my friends stand up Comedy channel :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very low but he was running into his last year on his contract so it was either £5m then and there or nothing a year later. So no, it wasn't a stupid decision (financially).

There's obviously an argument we should have done more to make him stay, namely by giving him games. Every week Ox flops it does make you wonder. If it wasn't for the homegrown rules I think we might have done more to hold on to Gnabry.

Personally I don't feel like it's much of a loss. I know a lot of people rate him here but I don't really see what's so special about him. He'll become a good player but I doubt he'll be a £40m signing for Real/Barca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll never know what could have been. I think Wenger has lost his touch anyway. It may have been for the best for Serge to leave and develop elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he could have been a useful player for us, but time will tell on whether it was the right decision to let him go.

A hatty against San Marino certainly isn't an indicator of anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't he out injured for ages anyway? I'm sure he would have been given more game time if he'd been patient. Sending him to Tony Pulis on loan was a bad decison though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was out of contract and wanted to leave. What can you do?
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully given the price we sold him for, we were sensible enough to put in a buyback clause. We put one in for Vela so I don't see us not doing it for Gnabry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    We'll never know what could have been. I think Wenger has lost his touch anyway. It may have been for the best for Serge to leave and develop elsewhere.
    Agreed. Wenger mainly holds players back these days. There's nothing to say that if Gnabry had stayed here he'd be even playing, let alone banging goals in. Gnabry was a casualty of the Bif era.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course not. We were going to give him another contract but he wanted to leave. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Wasn't he out injured for ages anyway? I'm sure he would have been given more game time if he'd been patient. Sending him to Tony Pulis on loan was a bad decison though.
    When fans get mad about stuff like the Gnabry situation, we tend to gloss over facts like he tore his ACL at a critical time in his development.

Still, I liked him when he debuted as I saw he had the intelligence needed to play Wengerball. Something Oxlade has never shown. He also has the technique to play it as well, which is something Theo has never shown.

I always felt the club should have kept him but it seems like he didn't want to stay.