User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Anyone Still Want Him Here?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just Leave Please

38 84.44%
  • Let's Judge @ End Of Season

0 0%
  • Sign da ting

7 15.56%
Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Wenger Referendum IV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    2 votes are a pisstake I suppose. No sane fan could want him here for another 2 years.

But of course if not an outright pisstake, explain your reasoning please. Would be very interesting to hear on what grounds anyone can support this guy.

Ty and Chris Wenger barred from answering.
    Probably people who think the players are responsible.

Every set of them, from about five different combinations since 2004.

Funny, as a lot of those players went on to win the league at different clubs. They just wanted to be lazy at Arsenal.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the players are responsible. That doesn't excuse Wenger because he picks them and buys them but we've got some overrated players with a piss poor mentality. They'll need a kick up the ass when a new manager arrives. It's the best set of players we've had in a long time, the most expensive and the most experienced. If Senderos and Djourou had the sort of performances Musatfi and Kos, we'd put it down to quality and experience alongside the manager being terrible at setting up a defence. But certain things aren't tactical and more so a case of footballing intelligence.

Roy Keane used this example the other day when referring to Coq allowing Robben in onto his strong foot. That's down to football intelligence. Any player defending Robben should know he's going to cut in like that. The way he invited him in was stupid. He has to take responsibility for that sort of mistake. But where Wenger comes in is if he doesn't correct Coquelin for making that mistake and not dropping him if he continue to fuck up.

Mustsafi had a horror and he's supposed to be a World Cup winner. How was he caught napping so often? Kos gets far too much praise on here and he only ever looks great next to Merts. Any other partner he looks shaky. I could go on. To lose by such a huge scoreline in the 1st leg of the CL is a shocker. We could have lost 3-1 and still hope for a result at the Emirates. It's a combination of both.

The players that were leaders went on to win stuff with other clubs. The ones that were often the last to give up and not the first at the first sign of trouble. Cole, Cesc and RVP had successful careers. Clichy and Kolo have done okay for themselves too. But the overrated bums like Nasri, Adebayor, and Hleb, the ones that shunned responsibility as our key players...it hasn't worked out so well for them. They never lived up to the same hype they had at Arsenal. I'd say we have more these type of players at our club right now.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    The comparison is largely symbiotic, in the sense that Wenger knows he is within reason his own boss and that he has to fail hard for his position to be under threat equally the players know (especially Ozil) that their place in the team is largely not under threat once they have made it into his first team selection.

There's only so far pride will get you, you might at first feel cross with yourself for not doing your best but if you know you'll still get your money and your place in the team, your lack of effort is consequence free.

There are some who have the character that they will never let their personal standards drop regardless of the situation, at Arsenal they are few and far between because the manager doesn't like the confrontation.
    Last edited by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie; 19-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He now is flying the kite of a 4 year contract. The ultimate WUM. Hopefully a largely empty stadium will convince him and the powers that be otherwise.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    He now is flying the kite of a 4 year contract. The ultimate WUM. Hopefully a largely empty stadium will convince him and the powers that be otherwise.
    In fairness that's not what he said, he said I'm 67 and Ferguson carried on to 71. I know that I'm not ready to retire, I may want to stay on longer than that, I may want to stay on for less time.

If he showed absolutely no reflection on what the fan mood is like he wouldn't even be saying "somewhere else if not Arsenal". I think he should leave us, but what he does after that is entirely up to him.....that's my position.

If he thinks that he can just stay with us until he's ready to give it up than it's incumbent on fans to make him think again (only because we know the board would love that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    In fairness that's not what he said, he said I'm 67 and Ferguson carried on to 71. I know that I'm not ready to retire, I may want to stay on longer than that, I may want to stay on for less time.

If he showed absolutely no reflection on what the fan mood is like he wouldn't even be saying "somewhere else if not Arsenal". I think he should leave us, but what he does after that is entirely up to him.....that's my position.

If he thinks that he can just stay with us until he's ready to give it up than it's incumbent on fans to make him think again (only because we know the board would love that).
    Sounds to me like he's trying to get the club to make a statement. He's saying, I'll be managing next year, I want it to be at Arsenal but it could be somewhere else. That's a come and get me message to Arsenal and anyone else out there who is interested. This isn't a message to the media or the fans. He's stated his intention and placed the onus on the club to make a decision. I suspect that decision has already been made and I suspect it is to leave that contract on the table and ask him to sign it. Wenger can then say the club wants him, he wants to stay and even though the fans are anti they have to accept there are people better placed to make the decisions in the best interests of the club. In a recent online media poll it is claimed 47% of Arsenal fans want him to stay. That's incredible really, hard to fathom, but if true then he can genuinely claim almost all the pieces are in place. The club, tick. Himself, tick. Half the fans, tick. And I assume the next tactic is to start rolling out players to support Le Boss. Beat up Sutton, assume it's a prelude to delivering another FA Cup. Get a few wins under the belt and move back up the table. Get a commitment from either Ozil or Alexis, throw in a few hints about major signings.

My gut tells me Wenger is going to weather this and they might even split the difference and roll out a 3 year, rather than 2 year, renewal.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats why I termed it flying a kite. He has to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know that the tideof opinion is largely against him. If he is as good as he thinks he is, the Bayerns, Barcas and RMs of Europe will be queueing up to recruit him. The only club in Europe stupid enough to employ him now is Arsenal.
    The fans need to see that this is the time to let everyone know that we are fed up of his perrennial shortcomings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Sounds to me like he's trying to get the club to make a statement. He's saying, I'll be managing next year, I want it to be at Arsenal but it could be somewhere else. That's a come and get me message to Arsenal and anyone else out there who is interested. This isn't a message to the media or the fans. He's stated his intention and placed the onus on the club to make a decision. I suspect that decision has already been made and I suspect it is to leave that contract on the table and ask him to sign it. Wenger can then say the club wants him, he wants to stay and even though the fans are anti they have to accept there are people better placed to make the decisions in the best interests of the club. In a recent online media poll it is claimed 47% of Arsenal fans want him to stay. That's incredible really, hard to fathom, but if true then he can genuinely claim almost all the pieces are in place. The club, tick. Himself, tick. Half the fans, tick. And I assume the next tactic is to start rolling out players to support Le Boss. Beat up Sutton, assume it's a prelude to delivering another FA Cup. Get a few wins under the belt and move back up the table. Get a commitment from either Ozil or Alexis, throw in a few hints about major signings.

My gut tells me Wenger is going to weather this and they might even split the difference and roll out a 3 year, rather than 2 year, renewal.
    I wouldnt put too much credence to an open poll that allows fans of other clubs to have a say. If that is the result of a poll of genuine fans. Then I might as well hang up my keyboard. Thats like cows voting to keep a local tannery. Stupid idiots!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats why I termed it flying a kite. He has to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know that the tideof opinion is largely against him. If he is as good as he thinks he is, the Bayerns, Barcas and RMs of Europe will be queueing up to recruit him. The only club in Europe stupid enough to employ him now is Arsenal.
    The fans need to see that this is the time to let everyone know that we are fed up of his perrennial shortcomings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt put too much credence to an open poll that allows fans of other clubs to have a say. If that is the result of a poll of genuine fans. Then I might as well hang up my keyboard. Thats like cows voting to keep a local tannery. Stupid idiots!
    Also consider though, we get to see and hear the vociferous 1% of fans and don't hear much from the silent majority who don't post to forums, don't given opinions on social media. If you think back to the last organised (semi-organised) protest, it was met with a wall of support for Wenger from inside the stadium. I think a lot of fans who aren't heavily invested either way and maybe see football as a day out are easily sold on the great man, done so much, built the stadium with his bare hands, we owe him respect narrative. It wouldn't surprise me at all if 47% or even higher are happy for Wenger to stick around. Also wouldn't surprise me if during the next few games, rather than hearing howls of discontent, we hear strong support for Wenger. From the home crowd that is. Sounds like the away fans have had their fill, though they are in a very small minority in terms of numbers.
    Für eure Sicherheit