Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2018.

HCZ
    Zverev again failing to live up to the hype surrounding him I see

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Indian Wells this week.

Nadal withdrew from this and Miami.
    I think whether Federer wins this and Miami is dependent on how well Djokovic has recovered

Fully fit Djokovic he doesn’t stand a chance of winning both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Djokovic barely seems to be at 50%.

Nadal still in and out.

Murray and Wawrinka dead.

Federer won't be pulling out of the French Open this year. Another +1 for him. The Lukaku of tennis.

If Federer does for some reason withdraw, then I guess well done to Carreno Busta on his first Slam.

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Djokovic barely seems to be at 50%.

Nadal still in and out.

Murray and Wawrinka dead.

Federer won't be pulling out of the French Open this year. Another +1 for him. The Lukaku of tennis.

If Federer does for some reason withdraw, then I guess well done to Carreno Busta on his first Slam.
    Federer is a fool

He missed out on the clay season last year and still struggled with injury at Flushing meadows

He is 36, simply put he can’t cope with playing the whole tour. Especially when younger players are breaking down when doing it.

The simple fact is when Tennis was dominated by serve volleyers, with the exception of maybe Tennis elbow it wasn’t taking it’s strain.

Now the game is far more athletic and dominated by baseliners you are having hip, foot, knee and ankle issues

To go with the upper body issues with the power players put into ground strokes

Also the idea that anyone but Nadal will win at Roland Garros is comical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does playing only when he feels fully fit and therefore winning nearly all the big tournaments he competed in make him foolish?

Or did you mean shrewd?

Apart from anything else to take from his achievements, maybe players coming through now will look at how he's elongated his career and stayed mostly healthy amongst such fierce competition while all his rivals are wilting.

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    How does playing only when he feels fully fit and therefore winning nearly all the big tournaments he competed in make him foolish?

Or did you mean shrewd?

Apart from anything else to take from his achievements, maybe players coming through now will look at how he's elongated his career and stayed mostly healthy amongst such fierce competition while all his rivals are wilting.
    I think playing at a tournament you’ve no hope of winning on a surface that has never been to your liking seems pointless and more likely to bite him in the arse when it comes to trying to defend Wimbledon which won’t be an easy task for him.

Hasn’t retained the title there in over a decade

Especially when he’s never won Monte Carlo, he’s never won Rome and he only won the French open because Nadal suffered the shock defeat to Robin Soderling in 2009

Plus his form isn’t that marvellous as it is. Almost came unstuck in Melbourne against Cilic despite dominating, had difficult time beating Haase and Kohlschreiber in Rotterdam.

Thus why I think he’d be best to sit out the clay court season, Nadal will reclaim his number 1 spot there even if Federer makes it to the semi finals of Indian Wells

HCZ
    Plus I’ve googled it and Federer still hasn’t made his mind up

He has said he is tempted. But i think he’d be much better served to not let his heart rule his head

Seeing Federer beat Nadal at Roland Garros would be akin to me to Arsenal winning a league title.

When he beat him in that five setter in the AO last year that was probably one of the greatest achievements of his career....and I was as happy about that as I was when we won the fa cup after a nine year trophy drought

However the likelihood of either us winning a title or Federer besting ten times champion Nadal on his own patch in the twilight of his career is quite even matched in being incredibly remote
    Last edited by HCZ; 12-03-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ View Post
    I think whether Federer wins this and Miami is dependent on how well Djokovic has recovered

Fully fit Djokovic he doesn’t stand a chance of winning both
    Djokovic is out. Dumped out by some pubber ranked in the 100's.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ View Post
    Plus I’ve googled it and Federer still hasn’t made his mind up

He has said he is tempted. But i think he’d be much better served to not let his heart rule his head

Seeing Federer beat Nadal at Roland Garros would be akin to me to Arsenal winning a league title.

When he beat him in that five setter in the AO last year that was probably one of the greatest achievements of his career....and I was as happy about that as I was when we won the fa cup after a nine year trophy drought

However the likelihood of either us winning a title or Federer besting ten times champion Nadal on his own patch in the twilight of his career is quite even matched in being incredibly remote
    I think if he is World Number One he has a responsibility to play in it.

HCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    I think if he is World Number One he has a responsibility to play in it.
    Fuck all that

His only responsibility is to himself. Why risk injury and exhaustion when he’s on a hiding to nothing

Back in the day his best clay court tournament was Hamburg and that’s not a 1000 title anymore

I think he will come to his senses, take a break after Miami and come back at Halle