User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Arsenal vs Leicester City April 26th 19:45 KO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Wenger is talking about staying on and feeling the same hunger to win, then yes, why not? There are plenty of managers around the same age as Wenger that have taken on new roles and still coaching. Allardyce, Redknapp is still around, no idea what Ranieri will do but he may continue on, Hodgson still wants to coach after the England debacle. I'm not going to presume too much about Wenger's psyche. I can only go on what he has said and he still talks as if he wants a challenge and before our first FA Cup win, even suggested he may have left if we lost the final. I don't think it's a case of coasting. He's just incapable and tarnishing his rep in the process.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    If Wenger is talking about staying on and feeling the same hunger to win, then yes, why not? There are plenty of managers around the same age as Wenger that have taken on new roles and still coaching. Allardyce, Redknapp is still around, no idea what Ranieri will do but he may continue on, Hodgson still wants to coach after the England debacle. I'm not going to presume too much about Wenger's psyche. I can only go on what he has said and he still talks as if he wants a challenge and before our first FA Cup win, even suggested he may have left if we lost the final. I don't think it's a case of coasting. He's just incapable and tarnishing his rep in the process.
    I don't think he's likely to ever say he's not full of vigour and up for the challenge. I'm taking him at his own word when he said he's scared of retirement. And at a club he's shown loyalty to for over twenty years he feels he is owed it in return.

Does he believe he can turn it around and take us forward yes because he's arrogant like that but he knows his personal currency has been devalued for some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of those guys have had the same autonomy as Wenger. The position Wenger holds is unprecedented in modern football. He needs to call it day but it's easy to see why he wants to stay, even if it is very selfish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    None of those guys have had the same autonomy as Wenger. The position Wenger holds is unprecedented in modern football. He needs to call it day but it's easy to see why he wants to stay, even if it is very selfish.
    I'm not making that comparison. Wenger is in a league of his own in that respect. But as one of the eldest and most respected managers in football, he has options outside of Arsenal and I'm sure if the Board toughen up and give him the boot, he'll find a position that suits him. He's confident enough to flirt with the big clubs and make subtle threats when things get on top here at Arsenal. For example, he's always spoken highly of Madrid and I think he has a relationship with their President, who is also a Wenger fan boy.... trying to compare Wenger to the everyday guy on the verge of retirement is senseless. Wenger has way more options on his hands if he decides to leave Arsenal. If Zidane and Enrique can win Champs League medals, I wouldn't put it past Wenger being able to win one in Spain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    I don't think he's likely to ever say he's not full of vigour and up for the challenge. I'm taking him at his own word when he said he's scared of retirement. And at a club he's shown loyalty to for over twenty years he feels he is owed it in return.

Does he believe he can turn it around and take us forward yes because he's arrogant like that but he knows his personal currency has been devalued for some time.
    The fact that he says he's scared of retirement and has said he'll continue to manage suggests he's still up for the challenge.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    The fact that he says he's scared of retirement and has said he'll continue to manage suggests he's still up for the challenge.
    It also means you can be scared of change

Will he try and find another club if his contract was not renewed? Yes but given the choice he will stay with us because that's where it's stable and secure for him.

It's not that he doesn't want to win things with us or doesn't believe he can, he just knows there is not the same pressure