User Tag List

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal v Sunderland 19.45 at home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger has been a lot more careful with his words post protest too. His, "Don't care, we already sold the tickets", attitude has turned into something far less abrasive.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Again you make these statements based on absolutely nothing.

Arsenal's league position governs it's share value, if you don't believe Kroenke will fire a sports manager who is underperforming and costing him money just ask Jeff Fisher.
    Really, you don't think Kroenke has a good relationship with Wenger, you don't think they might actually be on friendly terms now?

Wenger has made them money, the board have known Wenger for years and back him 100% as well, it's all a bit of gentlemans club.

I don't know this Fisher guy, but I'm willing to bet he wasn't manager for 20 years.

I'd love nothing more than for the above not to be true, but that's what I believe, to me it seems their support is unwavering, where other clubs would have come down hard after some terrible results, our club has just sugar coated it. Arsenal isn't some normal sports team, it's a club where someone is ingrained in the clubs culture and where almost everything revolves around one man.
    Last edited by Özim; 17-05-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Protests weren't too bad actually, and I bet quite a few of those who did turn up were one-time opportunists who probably don't get the whole Wenger thing anyway. Not buying into the idea the thousands stayed away because it was Sunderland. There was more to it than that. Looks like many regulars made their feelings known by their absence. The media is paying attention, as you say. I wonder if Kroenke can be persuaded to pay attention too?

Talking of AFTV, I notice all the regulars attended. I wonder what the thinking was there? Most of them are Wenger out and they must have known about the boycott. So what are they doing turning up? If they absolutely must get their YouTube fame fix, stand outside the ground for the duration. Seemed a bit weird that none of them participated in any way. Did any of them even mention it, apart from commenting on how poor the atmosphere was?
    I think we do benefit a lot from selling tickets to tourists, we are one of the nearest clubs to central London and although it's not a reputation that is founded on anything substantial lately, we do have a reputation for good football.

Whilst I can understand Robbie Lyle himself attending, Troopz and DT?......as much as I think DT has become a great deal more coherent and less vitriolic anger in the last year (he was when they had that bell end Gary Neville on the show the most articulate of the four) I do think again he's in the business for himself as a vlogger (again it's a growing industry so can't blame him).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was never the vision for this masterpiece of a stadium. It deserves so much better than nights like this.

When Arsenal departed their spiritual home in 2006 supporters were told it was for the greater good.

They were promised special nights; with a special team to grace a special new stadium.

The old Highbury's unrecognisable now. So is that original vision.

In fairness to Arsenal, they got the special stadium bit right. The Emirates remains a first-rate venue.

But on the pitch, this club is anything but special.
    Sami Mokbel, one of the more pro-Arsenal journos. And that's it. When you ask the fans to buy a vision (and I mean literally buy, with the highest ticket prices in the world), when you ask them to sacrifice trophies and the highest level of football excellence, then you'd better deliver on your side of the deal. The club built a stadium (now leveraged by the owner), but the rest of it has been one giant piss take. There's no entitlement here. No lack of gratitude. What we have is a broken deal. The fans faithfully kept up their end, packing out that stadium week in, week out. Buying the 750 different kit launches. Paying up the sky rocketing amounts to catch a glimpse on TV. Pulling extra notes out of their noses for BT's arrival. Tick all those boxes, that work was done.

The club? They have delivered much too. Excuse after excuse after excuse.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    There's no purpose, it's reality, the only way to get him out is for fans to make it impossible for him to stay basically, where he decides it's just too much hassle to stay on, the board aren't going to get rid of him, he's not going to fall low enough in the table for them to do that, they back him 100%.

If he feels he's universally not wanted, he might decide it's time to call it a day...but you never know with Wenger, he might take the opposite stance just to prove people wrong. We're in a very unique scenario here where someone has had power for 20 years and controls many facets of the club, way more than he should and where the board are universal and unwavering in their support for him.
    We're in a situation where they don't have to fire him. They don't have to give him a contract. Also, I don't think the support is unwavering. We've already heard reports of unrest and it makes no sense for them to keep Wenger on if he ends up costing them money. Isn't the money the reason why we all feel he has so much support from them in the first place?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Really, you don't think Kroenke has a good relationship with Wenger, you don't think they might actually be on friendly terms now?

Wenger has made them money, the board have known Wenger for years and back him 100% as well, it's all a bit of gentlemans club.

I don't know this Fischer guy, but I'm willing to bet he wasn't manager for 20 years.

I'd love nothing more than for the above not to be true, but that's what I believe, to me it seems their support is unwavering, where other clubs would have come down hard after some terrible results, our club has just sugar coated it. Arsenal isn't some normal sports team, it's a club where someone is ingrained in the clubs culture and where almost everything revolves around one man.
    Kroenke is a businessman and a pretty ruthless one, he and Wenger according to reports haven't even spoken in 2017

Wenger has made them money, but the point is he's on a downward trajectory and the longer in continues the less money he will make for the club

How long Jeff Fisher had been at the club is irrelevant, he was sacked six months after being given a contract extension after going on a losing run.

Your belief is based on a sense of negativity, you feel negative i appreciate that.....but it doesn't make you objective in your viewpoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many will stay for the lap of "honour" at the end of the Everton game. That will send another message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    We're in a situation where they don't have to fire him. They don't have to give him a contract. Also, I don't think the support is unwavering. We've already heard reports of unrest and it makes no sense for them to keep Wenger on if he ends up costing them money. Isn't the money the reason why we all feel he has so much support from them in the first place?
    I'd agree money is the main point, but I'd add Wenger has been there 20 years, has a lot of board support and has been Kroenke money and I'm not sure that's going to change, right now it's not affecting them because the tickets were sold, if season tickets sales were down then you never Kroenke might decide he needs to let him go, but didn't GB say he ran the Amercian franchise into the ground?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    I think we do benefit a lot from selling tickets to tourists, we are one of the nearest clubs to central London and although it's not a reputation that is founded on anything substantial lately, we do have a reputation for good football.

Whilst I can understand Robbie Lyle himself attending, Troopz and DT?......as much as I think DT has become a great deal more coherent and less vitriolic anger in the last year (he was when they had that bell end Gary Neville on the show the most articulate of the four) I do think again he's in the business for himself as a vlogger (again it's a growing industry so can't blame him).
    Agreed, Robbie has to turn up. That's his job now. But what about Moh, for example? 5 million words a season, but he has nothing to say about the boycott last night? I wonder was it agreed beforehand not to mention it, to avoid any of the nastiness we have seen in recent weeks? If so, and it's pure speculation, it would be a disservice to the idea of a channel that has the specific purpose of giving the fans a platform to discuss the immediate issues. Claude as well. All his claims that if Wenger stays, he's out. But he can't even manage it for one game. I AFTV a different thing now, in effect disconnected from the fans? Its own little bubble?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems now that top 4 has as good as gone the fans are turning on the club and Wenger, that can only be a good thing.