User Tag List

Page 151 of 263 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2627

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery 2017/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conte will turn Ox into a great player. All Ox has ever needed was a bit of coaching so he can be a bit more intelligent with his game. He's always had the talent and the drive. One of the few players we havehad who wants to go forward with the ball rather than sideways or backwards. Big loss for us in some respects, and an especially big credibility loss. But in practical terms, for as long as Wenger stays, it doesn't really matter who we buy or sell.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    Admitted? I have always said Gazidis has no power to fire Wenger. Is your memory that bad? I've said this for the past 10 years or so. What part of Wenger having the final say aren't you getting from the many posts here and elsewhere? You're only just catching on. I still remember the day you tried to argue that we didn't have the cash to spend when we signed Ozil. Again, if certain details about our finances weren't so public, fools would still be raging on about us not being able to compete.

How is that last part even relevant? Played? Is it more important for the focus to go on Wenger or Gazidis? For the almost a decade Wenger has evaded criticism because of these sort of arguments. It's brain dead.
    I know Wenger has the final say. My argument is that he does is the result of having a spineless chief executive. If you can't convince your own boss to give you power over your employees you either aren't very good at your job or are more interested in an easy life

What I'm unable to process is the idea that Gazidis is some kind of victim of circumstance. Every time he has come out to shed a light on things as you've stated its because he is under fire himself from fans for staying silent, so when the fans come to him and ask him what are you doing about this he comes out with a load of old Fanny.

Now where I concede you have a point, is that it might not have been possible for a more independent minded chief executive to get employed in the first place because of Wenger sitting in on interviews. But I sure as hell don't believe going forward that keeping a guy who was essentially employed as a yes man is any good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emirates Gallactico View Post
    Given our total ineptitude in tieing down players to contracts, letting too many of them go into their final years without any consequences and being unable sell well ....... we can't even boast about "net transfer spend" or celebrate the "most financially prudent team" trophy anymore.
    Exactly. I said last season that if Wenger gets a new contract even though we've dropped out of the Top 4, he's getting a new deal based on sentiment and a personal relationship with Kroenke. If we can take a hit in revenue and still see no consequences, we're in deeper shit then I thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    I know Wenger has the final say. My argument is that he does is the result of having a spineless chief executive. If you can't convince your own boss to give you power over your employees you either aren't very good at your job or are more interested in an easy life

What I'm unable to process is the idea that Gazidis is some kind of victim of circumstance. Every time he has come out to shed a light on things as you've stated its because he is under fire himself from fans for staying silent, so when the fans come to him and ask him what are you doing about this he comes out with a load of old Fanny.

Now where I concede you have a point, is that it might not have been possible for a more independent minded chief executive to get employed in the first place because of Wenger sitting in on interviews. But I sure as hell don't believe going forward that keeping a guy who was essentially employed as a yes man is any good.
    This isn't going anywhere. So you actually think a new Chief Exec would make a difference? So the fans should focus on getting Gazidis out? Is that the answer? It's naive as anyone thinking a new DOF would make a difference or a new assistant manager. It's more deflection. It's dumb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one option as fans now, if we want to remain fans. Accept that we have become a mid-table team, just as those who wanted Wenger out warned, and accept there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. As far as hopes and ambition, fans have to hope Wenger doesn't drag us into a relegation fight in his last 2 years and our ambition is limited to maybe catching 6 decent performances in those 2 years. I think that's about our average over the last decade, 3 good performances per season.

Maybe if the sponsors baulked and decided they didn't want to associate themselves with such a bunch of losers, maybe that could provoke change. So maybe the fans are better off boycotting the sponsors. Don't fly Emirates and whenever you are booking a ticket, take the time to call up Emirates and explain why you are booking a ticket with a competitor and not them. Heres a partial list: https://www.arsenal.com/the-club/sponsors-partners

Anything else won't make a blind bit of difference because Kroenke doesn't give a shit.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    This isn't going anywhere. So you actually think a new Chief Exec would make a difference? So the fans should focus on getting Gazidis out? Is that the answer? It's naive as anyone thinking a new DOF would make a difference or a new assistant manager. It's more deflection. It's dumb.
    It is dumb but it's not what I'm saying and I actually said clearly it's not what I'm saying

Your argument seems to be why talk about Gazidis when we need to get rid of Wenger. I'd rather say the inability to multi task is part of the clubs problem right now. That Wenger has to go rather goes without saying, even he couldn't defend himself yesterday.

What I'm saying is, are we going to be in the same boat in a few years with a different guy because we have a chief executive who seems to prefer to play candy crush on his phone and then when the shit hits the fan thinks oh fuck I better do something.

That's not an argument for keeping Wenger under a different structure. We are long passed the point of Wenger going making things worse even as inept as Gazidis seems to be. But being an Arsenal fan it seemed kind of reasonable to speculate on what we could do to make things better. And there's very little doubt that without someone proactive and competent that there's no guarantee of that. That just to reiterate is not an argument for keeping Wenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    It is dumb but it's not what I'm saying and I actually said clearly it's not what I'm saying

Your argument seems to be why talk about Gazidis when we need to get rid of Wenger. I'd rather say the inability to multi task is part of the clubs problem right now. That Wenger has to go rather goes without saying, even he couldn't defend himself yesterday.

What I'm saying is, are we going to be in the same boat in a few years with a different guy because we have a chief executive who seems to prefer to play candy crush on his phone and then when the shit hits the fan thinks oh fuck I better do something.

That's not an argument for keeping Wenger under a different structure. We are long passed the point of Wenger going making things worse even as inept as Gazidis seems to be. But being an Arsenal fan it seemed kind of reasonable to speculate on what we could do to make things better. And there's very little doubt that without someone proactive and competent that there's no guarantee of that. That just to reiterate is not an argument for keeping Wenger.
    It's Stan Kroenke we have to worry about. He defines the parameters of that Chief Executive role. If he disregards the advice given what's the point of having a Chief Exec? It's the structure that's the problem with Wenger having too much of a say on what happens with the club.

Taking it a step further, it's the Chairman that's a link between the Chief Exec and Owner/Board. If Gazidis is incompetent, why hasn't Sir Chips stepped in? Why didn't PHW? We've seen the musical chairs at Board level and similar to what happens on the pitch with us constantly changing players, nothing will change unless the manager goes and that decision has to come from Kroenke.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    It's Stan Kroenke we have to worry about. He defines the parameters of that Chief Executive role. If he disregards the advice given what's the point of having a Chief Exec? It's the structure that's the problem with Wenger having too much of a say on what happens with the club.

Taking it a step further, it's the Chairman that's a link between the Chief Exec and Owner/Board. If Gazidis is incompetent, why hasn't Sir Chips stepped in? Why didn't PHW? We've seen the musical chairs at Board level and similar to what happens on the pitch with us constantly changing players, nothing will change unless the manager goes and that decision has to come from Kroenke.
    I think we both know the chairman is just a ornamental position

You seem to think that I'm saying Gazidis could or should have fired Wenger. Ultimately that decision will come from the owner yes, my argument is that if Wenger could cultivate a relationship with Kroenke why has Gazidis not been able to. Why does he have no influence over Kroenke to say this isn't working I need your authority to put my foot down especially when Wenger has been able to come to him and say give me a free hand you won't have to be involved.

I imagine Kroenke prefers to be as hands off with the club as possible, so when Wenger came to him about the contract I imagine he was like "yeah no problem, the less I have to involve myself the better".

For me going forward the manager should have no direct involvement with Kroenke whatsoever, he reports to the chief executive and presides over a set management structure that he has agreed with the chief executive.

I'm saying that I don't trust Gazidis going forward to maintain that kind of strength of relationship. And as I say there's no question things won't improve until Wenger goes, the question is whether things will improve after he goes. And my personal view is that to guarantee that requires Gazidis to go very shortly after Wenger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are we actually going to sign anyone over the next few days or is it just about clearing the wage bill and making that all important profit?

The fact Wenger said the Lemar deal is dead and now Liverpool are testing the waters is embarrassing. The bloke is a fraud and has no grasp on what is going on anymore.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I think that he has no grasp on what's going on was laid bare in his interview yesterday. Take away the bollocks of the no time for emotion and yesterday like against Bayern Munich it's one of the few times he is honest both in what he says and his body language. His body language betrayed that he really was totally dumbfounded by yesterday, of course he shouldn't be but genuinely think he lives in this bubble where it's 2004 and his players just have to turn up and play their game and teams will be brushed aside.

He said cryptically there was a reason for what happened which will become clear, not that there was any real surprise. The atmosphere is players telling him they don't want to be at the club anymore. Because they have to think of themselves and their careers.

In Sanchez and Ox he started two players that aren't interested in being at this football club anymore